SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lostnca

Pound Puppies

lostnca
17 years ago

I am just curious about the costs of pound puppies in the different areas. I have been looking at web sites for rescues,shelters and the spca's. It seems that here in Ontario that a rescued animal will cost around 300 - 350 on average.

Is it me? Or is this very high? I can recall a time when buying a rescue or pound pup was a bargain since you were not getting paper work or the extra perk of knowing its history. Im not seeing much incentive for people to limit their search to a rescue or pound pup at that price.

I mentioned the cost to some friends on line the other night and they come from differing states and they were very surprised at the costs. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Lorie

Comments (66)

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK but that is Foster... Different than "Rescue Group"

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

Not necessarily - I foster for a local rescue - we charge $250 per dog or $300 for a puppy. We pay more for the dogs' medical bills and upkeep than we make on a puppy - believe me, rescues are not in it for the money - because there isn't any. Even with reduced veterinary services, the cost to fix dogs' eyes, spay neuter, shots, grooming, etc - we're always scrambling to make ends meet. Our local shelter adopts dogs for $75-$250.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

The pound I got my last dog from charged a flat 10.00. No questions asked, and any vet bills were on me. I only had to agree to neuter him. When all was said and done at the vets, he cost me over $300 and he was a healthy dog to begin with.
    The rescue I worked for charged $125 for dogs and $95 for cats. Believe me, they had way more than that wrapped up in each animal. All were spayed and neutered before even being put up for adoption, up to date on shots, on flea meds, heartworm preventatives etc. That is a bargain price. If some rescues provide all that and charge $300 they are not making a living on it and probably not breaking even.
    I fostered one dog for 10 months that had hip displasia. He had to have surgery on each hip The cost was over $2,000 even with a discount if I remember right. When he finally found the perfect forever home, the adoption fee was still only $125. People who think anyone in rescue is in it for the money, should look a little closer to all that is involved. They survive through donations with the adoption fees playing a small part.Some rescues may not get that many donations and must depend on higher adopion fees just to get by.
    I'm not saying all rescues are good, but lets not jump to conclusions because of a high adoption fee.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all.. not meaning to step on any toes here but like qq mentioned in one of his posts above. The price goes up according to cuteness factor in a lot of these places. Some have special funds set up for the "irregulars" too. I just cant see where a 6 week old pup that is mixed and has only been for his first needles, worming and no spay/neuter and has only been in a home for a few days should cost so much. I understand that animals are expensive but it just seems that it is politically incorrect to NOT charge for a puppy now. Im not saying all rescues are bad but Im thinking a lot have lost their vision.
    I have seen where people that asked for a no or low cost puppy be cruelly blasted that if they are poor they should'nt be asking for a pup/dog. They may be in the position that they have saved for the vets but hoped to find a free dog. Dog ownership is not for the haves vs the have nots in my book.
    One more thing. I read a rescue site adoption application today that not only asked for 2 references and a vet ref but also for a ref from someone who is not close to you AND your employer or clergy. They also wanted to know if you go on vacation who was going to watch your pets? To me, this is just absurd. Oh there was one that wanted to know if it was a smoking household. If it was, forget it.
    Seriously many years ago it was doubtful that I would have children and we checked into adoption. We went through a home study and the questions that were asked were not nearly as invaisive as what this breeder of "Special Mixed Puppies - $500" wanted to know.
    Lorie

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

blueiris wrote:
    "Not necessarily - I foster for a local rescue - we charge $250 per dog or $300 for a puppy. We pay more for the dogs' medical bills and upkeep than we make on a puppy - believe me, rescues are not in it for the money - because there isn't any. Even with reduced veterinary services, the cost to fix dogs' eyes, spay neuter, shots, grooming, etc - we're always scrambling to make ends meet. Our local shelter adopts dogs for $75-$250.

Then why ARE you doing it? The shelter would do it... you're taking the adoptable inventory out of the shelter making it more difficult for them to get the support they need. Do you even pay their adoption fee when you "foster"?

Scrambling to make ends meet? Then why do it? Donate your spare change to the shelter, it will be better for the shelter, the pets, and the people who want to adopt!

Where am I going wrong? My idea of a foster is someone who takes in the animals temporarily in their home for overcrowded shelters but the shelter still handles everything else regarding the adoption. If you can broker and adoption, fine but all of that paperwork should go through the shelter.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand... if you're losing money on this then why do it. Explain it to me like a 5 year old from outer space.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

(...like I'm a 5 year old from outer space)

Another way to make a difference, why not volunteer at these shelters and take the dogs out for frisbee or walks around the facility?

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

Why do the rescues do it? Because most shelters (like public funded animal welfare and control agencies) have limited space and kill the pets when they get over crowded and if they are not adopted out within a certain time frame.

Pets that need extensive medical care or socialization in order to be adopted are euthanized quickly at shelter.

Some shelters will work with rescue groups in the way that you described, but some do not... it depends upon where you live, what type of population, funding and other types of resources are available...

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Joe Pye.. that is the reason given every time this comes up.
    So why not take out those that are least likely to get adopted quickly instead of cleaning out the shelter of all the most sought after purebreds and mixes that will be adopted out by the week's end?

Maybe this just a transitional system because there has to be a better way to work this out.

• annzgw
    17 years ago

As joe said it depends on where you live........and the type 'rescue group' you're dealing with.
    From my past work with a large rescue group, the county shelters are still making money when a rescue organization adopts an animal from the pound because it allows the pound to take in more dogs for adoption. There are never enough people to adopt all the dogs, cats, etc in a pound (nicely called a shelter) and they welcome the rescue groups. The county is not losing money...........they still have fees coming in from the groups that are adopting. Turnover via adoption is a moneymaker.........euthanasia isn't.

In my area a foster that volunteers at the pound takes on all responsibility and expense of the animal. These are usually animals that need medical treatment, pregnant dogs/cats or socialization. The animals are still advertised as 'available for adoption'. A volunteer of a rescue group may or may not have to cover some of the expenses. It depends on the the funds available to the organization.

Most independent rescue groups exists only because of their fosters. This allows them to take in dogs from pound and it also makes it possible for them to help owners who are looking for new homes for their pets.
    As others have said, the fees they charge don't begin to cover the expenses of food, crates, medical treatment/ meds, vaccinations, transportation.

Charging more for puppies? Yes, they do and I can understand it. Puppies are in high demand and many a dog over 1 yr of age is overlooked and in the system a long time because puppies go first. By charging more for the puppy the rescue group can then pay for the emergency vet appt they had to spend on an older dog (and that's just 'one' example).

• annzgw
    17 years ago

qq said:***So why not take out those that are least likely to get adopted quickly instead of cleaning out the shelter of all the most sought after purebreds and mixes that will be adopted out by the week's end?****

qq..........if you live in an area that all dogs (except pitbulls I assume) are gone by week's end then you're lucky to live in an area that doesn't have much of a pet overpopulation problem. Do you know for sure the animals were 'rescued' or were they euthanized?
    Rescue groups take in animals they hope they can find homes for.
    If they had the resources to take the unwanted animals, then they'd take those too............but we all have to be realistic sometimes.

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

Our rescue only takes dogs that the shelter calls us about because the dogs have social or medical problems and are considered "unadoptable" by them, so we take the dogs and work on the behaviors that need to be taken care of and see to their medical problems so they can be adopted rather than euthanized by the shelter. Why do they do it? Why does anyone have pets and love them - it's a passion - to make sure that the dogs have a chance at a new life, and a permanent home where their new owners will love them and take care of them. I don't know where you live, but if your shelters aren't overloaded with dogs being unnecessarily euthanized, you must live in an amazing place.

• kim_okla
    17 years ago

Rottweiler rescue $100.-150.00.

City pound I paid $65.00 for a nice Rottweiler mix. Then made a $50.00 donation to Rottweiler rescue. I was going to get one of theirs but I had to get this guy out of the pound fearing he'd become a junk yard dog.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Quotes in red. My comments in black

The county is not losing money...........they still have fees coming in from the groups that are adopting. Turnover via adoption is a moneymaker.........euthanasia isn't.
    As Bellsouth would say, that's unfair competition! Hey lets be honest with ourselves. It's a business. The city pound is the middle man, the wholesale dog auction for a lot of "groups".
    The breed specific groups... bless their hearts, like my breed they want to rush in, FLY in, in some cases to get a dog they feel does not deserve to be in a shelter but does not give anyone in those locales an opportunity to adopt them because in the blink of an eye they are gone. Off to some big city where some wealthy person who's into the breed will pay big bucks so they can feel good about saving a dogs life. Gimme a break.
    If you want to market these dogs, then encourage people to visit their local shelter and encourage them to make a donation to the shelter.

Most independent rescue groups exists only because of their fosters. This allows them to take in dogs from pound and it also makes it possible for them to help owners who are looking for new homes for their pets.
    As others have said, the fees they charge don't begin to cover the expenses of food, crates, medical treatment/ meds, vaccinations, transportation.
    Then if the service provided is for an easy exit for some person who cannot or is too lazy to find a new home for the dog on their own then it is they who should pay the fees. Not the person adopting. And lets not forget why this subject came up.

Charging more for puppies? Yes, they do and I can understand it. Puppies are in high demand and many a dog over 1 yr of age is overlooked and in the system a long time because puppies go first. By charging more for the puppy the rescue group can then pay for the emergency vet appt they had to spend on an older dog (and that's just 'one' example).
    Then if you need to finance the "rescue operation" through sales rather than donations, doesn't that make it a business?

Do you know for sure the animals were 'rescued' or were they euthanized?
    Rescue groups take in animals they hope they can find homes for.
    There was a feature on the news about euthanasia at the main Fulton county shelter and also some neighboring county shelters that could not get rid of the dogs they had for months. I think that while at one time the figures of 72 hours or such 'n such may have been right but now if you log on to fultonanimalservices.com you'll see there's dogs in the shelter that have been there one heck of a lot longer than 72 hours.

If they had the resources to take the unwanted animals, then they'd take those too............but we all have to be realistic sometimes.

Ok I'm trying to be realistic. Is saying that an alarming number of rescue groups have become like "businesses" being realistic? Is saying that the people in charge of these groups are often power-tripping maniacs with a god complex being realistic?

Our rescue only takes dogs that the shelter calls us about because the dogs have social or medical problems and are considered "unadoptable" by them,...
    Awesome. That's the way it should work. That is truly a "rescue".

I don't know where you live, but if your shelters aren't overloaded with dogs being unnecessarily euthanized, you must live in an amazing place.
    Atlanta, GA slobburbs.
    That's not what I'm saying, that's twisting my point around.

I have an easy solution to this problem. You can tell me what you think. It's very simple.
    County shelters that euthanize pets would set up a timeline for which pets would become available to rescue groups.
    For example...
    In a high volume shelter, During the first two weeks the dog would be available for adoption by individuals on the standard first-come basis. Then the third week the rescues can have an oppotunity to get on the list (for a change). Then week 4, the wining rescue groups are selected on a first come basis.
    Looks something like this
    Week one: Reclaim waiting period for lost pets and individuals can get on waiting list. (1st come)
    Week two: Only individuals can adopt
    Week three: Only individuals can adopt but organizations can get on a waiting list
    Week four: Both individuals and organizations can adopt.

Puppies: Can only be adopted after completing two 90 minute work shops ... Housebreaking and Puppy PArenting 101. If you still want a puppy by the end of the workshops then you're eligible.

Overflow: In extreme cases if a shelter is at or beyond capacity they will make an exception on the time line for rescue groups which would get an opportunity to take a randomly selected pool of dogs only beginning after the reclaim period. Groups may get lucky and get some adorable designer puppies or they may get stuck with a 7 year old rottweiler mix.

I really can't say anything else about the subject because I really don't know much about the industry or how it works. All I have were expereinces from trying to adopt through private groups and reading tons and tons of wild stories from other people about what that was like. Not to mention browsing petfinder.com listings and seeing certain breeds being offered at higher prices than others. It is that kind of thing that I have a problem with .

If you need to contact someone's employer or clergy to figure out if they are good people or not then you have a god complex and you should not operate a rescue group! That is my final point.

• User
    17 years ago

Where I live, the major metropolitan area has a 3 day limit on the time that animals are available for adoption after the waiting period to see if an owner claims them. And, that's if they are deemed adoptible in the first place. Many are not due to age, breed, or just plain fright and showing poorly in a shelter environment. The place is not in an area of town easy to access, and it's not a pleasant place to visit to be able to adopt. 95% of all the animals who enter the doors are euthanized. I've worked with several breed rescues locally who try to pull from the shelter when they have an opening in foster care, but even so, not even all of the purebreds can be saved, much less the mixed breeds. ANY rescue that can pull ANY animal from that shelter is saving a life, but even so, you have to factor in whether or not the animal they are pulling is going to be worth the money and time invested. Yes, you have to run a rescue with a good deal of business principals, and you cannot let your emotions overrule your head. You could pull that elderly Shi Tzu with the cataracts that is paralyzed by fear or you can pull the min pin puppy mix that's frisky and will be easily adopted. It's unfair to say that pulling the min pin puppy would be pulling "the most adoptible" when it's likely that both animals will be euthanized. Yes, technically you are correct. But, if you pull nothing but the neediest animials, your rescue is soon broke, your foster homes full, and they don't empty up quick enough because the animal is "less adoptible" and you end up losing that foster home because it turned into far more of an extended job than they maybe bargained for.

Life is a popularity contest with a lot of the outcome based on "beauty". FOr animals and for people. So, sue life. The orphanages are full of older minority children and the pound is full of older pit bulls and lab mixes. Sometimes the best you can do is the best you can do, and saving a life is saving a life.

And, one last thing. Many many municipal shelters do not allow volunteers or donations due to liability issues and the need to set up some sort of non profit fund to accept the donations. It's more paperwork and hassle than they want to deal with. So, if you want to volunteer to work with animals, a private rescue or shelter is usually the only option.

• emma1420
    17 years ago

The rescue I work with charges a $200 adoption fee, and trust me that is a bargain. We have a limited number of foster homes in our area, and so it isn't unusual for a dog to spend a few days being kenneled until we can find a foster home (which over results in being transported four or five hours). Most of the dogs that come into our rescue aren't from the big city shelters, they are from shelters in the rural part of the state. I adopted one of my fosters, and if he had been in a shelter in the city he would have been snapped up. Unfortunately, he was in a very rural shelter, where they get a large number of dogs (because there is a dumping issues out there) and very few adoptions. Without working with the various rescues they might adopt out 10 dogs a year from that shelter.

And even with a low-cost spay or neuter, vet bills can easily exceed the adoption fee. A spay at the low-cost vet's office near me is $95, plus tax. You want the dog vaccinated? It's another $37. Microchipped? It's another $48.50. And that's for a healthy dog, and we have a deal with the vet. So for a healthy dog, we break about even. And if the dog is already altered, the money we make goes into help providing vet care for dogs that aren't healthy. Most responsible rescue's don't make money.

Now, do I think that some rescue fee's are too high? Yes. But, I also think some of the screening process are a bit ridiculous as well.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

Of course rescuing is a business, its just a not-for-profit business. I doubt any rescue group is making a huge profit. I assume many of them are set up as 501c-3's. So donations and costs are tax deductable.

And I do think that many shelters and rescue groups are already operating on a timeline similar to described. I don't think rescue groups are rushing into the shelters taking the most adoptable pets. Typically they work with the shelters and wait as long as possbile before taking a readily adoptable pup. The rescue doesn't want to take on another mouth to feed and another vet bill, if a good home can be found quickly.

I do understand that there are some freakishly strict rescue groups around that don't allow people who work for a living to adopt pets, which in my opinion is ridiculous....

• share_oh
    16 years ago

I volunteer for my county Humane Society, but it is privately funded, no tax dollars. We are hopefully breaking ground for a new shelter next month. Currently our shelter that was built to house 120 animals now has over 350.

The main reason they give purebreds to rescue groups is due to space. I agree it really isn't fair to potential adopters who come in looking for a certain breed. I like Quirky's idea of a time frame, but I know for now it wouldn't work for us as we just have no room and have to move dogs out whenever we get the chance.

To the original question - our shelter charges $110 per dog, regardless of breed, age, etc. The extra $10 is for microchipping. Cats are $85 and are also microchipped. All of our animals are spayed or neutered before adoption, shots up to date, heartworm, etc. It's a real bargain.

I currently have 3 foster puppies that will be "fixed" later this week. As a foster mom there is no cost to me... except usually a broken heart when I have to give them back! But it is always worth it in the end.

Sher

• foosacub
    16 years ago

Private rescue groups around here, esp. the breed-specific ones were the most expensive option. Anywhere from $250 for a senior dog with major health issues and medication needs, to $450 for a 6 month old pup. Some of them did not include a spay/neuter, and required you to provide proof of surgery in a timely manner. I could see why people in search of a specific breed would seek out a breeder instead... a lot of these places did not return calls or emails, and I couldn't get the phrase 'highway robbery' out of my head.

From our Humane Society website:
    ""The adoption fee is $100 for dogs and $100 for kittens and cats. Puppies under 6 months are $160. Dogs and cats that have been with us for longer than 3 to 4 months belong to our "Lonely Hearts Club," and have an adoption fee of $75.""

The adoption fee at Town Lake Animal Center is $75 - no matter what age, breed, how long they've been there, etc. That is where we found Capone... $75 for a vaccinated, hw-tested, preventative-dosed, leashed/collared, microchipped, registered, neutered dog - I was happy with that! Because of the low cost, we also made a sizeable donation when we picked him up.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Share oh, I have always meant to ask you if you were from Ohio because of your name? I am originally from there and actually have started expanding my search for a puppy there. How exciting to be breaking ground on an expanded shelter!

Foosacub, That is exactly how I felt when I have read the prices on some of these puppies, "highway robbery". Then the application criteria was ... well lets say it this way. I am buying a puppy, not a child and I am a very private person. You may have a ref. from my vet as to my care for them but anything beyond that.. Keep your puppy.

Emma, our lab Abby went for her first vet appt with obvious problems from malnutrition, dehydration and excessive urination. We saw the vet (not the tech) for assessment and he spent an hour with us, gave her the first needles, and a lot of loving and kisses and sent us home with enough med's to deworm ALL the pets here just in case. The total bill was 47 dollars Canadian. We had her spayed and the cat neutered and Abby's next set of needles, bought 2 toys and 2 leashes for 249. I meant to have them micro chipped but forgot to mention it when I dropped them off. Both animals stayed overnight.
    Lorie

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The vet reference is unfair. If you haven't had a pet before or many years it counts against you. It prooves nothing and the vet isn't going to be able to tell them anything that can demonstrate the prospective adoptee is responsible. Instead why not teach them with mandatory workshops, and exams? I think the only difference between a responsible pet owner and the irresponsible pet owner is that the irresponsible pet owner doesn't know better. Someone needs to show then how and why.

• User
    16 years ago

No, a vet reference is not unfair. It's just one of many tools that rescues use to be able to find responsible homes for their animals. There are other criteria that can be examined if a potential adoptor doesn't have a vet reference, such as length of time in the home and on the job and/or a home visit. I once did a home visit for an adoptor that wanted this beautiful shy cocker mix. She had no vet reference and indicated that she didn't own any animals. When I got to the residence, there was no fence, and chained up in the back was this thin scraggedly looking shepherd mix. When I asked the adoptor about the dog, she told me it was her son's dog. The son was 16. Yes, old enough that if he were responsible, he actually could take proper care of an animal, but young enough that if he weren't responsible, the parent should still step in. We refused the adoption. However, we also dropped off several pamphlets about proper care for dogs, and tried to get the lady to sign up for the low cost spay/neuter/vaccine clinic and free obedience classes that we helped to provide. She refused all offers of help, and driving by the home about a year later on another matter I noticed a smaller doghouse beside the shepherds doghouse and a lhasa type mix on the end of the chain attached to it.

That's why rescues have adoption criteria and actually do check things out about you. It's not to make anyone uncomfortable. It's because a LOT of people lie to you. Or, they wouldn't provide responsible homes for the pets. A love for animals and the desire to own one isn't enough of a criteria to adopt an animal. The ability to be financially responsible for them and a commitment to the real time and effort it takes to be a pet owner rather than some vague idea of how wonderful it all will be is what is required.

And rescues/shelters have the right to create any criteria that they desire to be able to screen adoptors. Even public shelters have that right. One of the small suburb towns here will not adopt to anyone who doesn't have a fenced in yard. And they will not adopt to anyone who already owns 4 dogs or 6 cats. Those are the laws on the city's books dealing with pet ownership, so they have to abide by them in their adoption criteria.

When you create your own rescue/shelter, you will be able to run it any way you wish, as long as you abide by the 501 c(3) constraints. :~) But, it's a lot harder than it looks from the outside to be able to do this. Not for profits aren't out to make anything off of rescuing pets. Post 9/11, donations to charities fell more thatn 50%, so a lot of less financially sound shelters/rescues went under. So, many have had to increase the prices they charge for adoption, and they've had to really hustle to play the pity card anywhere and everywhere just to be able to exist, much less to try to budget for a capital improvement expense like a piece of land that has the potential for an actual shelter site on it one day.

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

Ok, I know the answer is partly if not totally money but I know there are people involved in rescue that have the money too, at least in our area there are. What I have wondered about is why a rescue organization does not operate a business to suport the rescue? Say a pet supply store that sells food and accessories, maybe offer some services like grooming or classes. Obviously there are expenses for the business but any profit would be plowed back into the rescue. I would think that dog and cat lovers would support such businesses knowing that each purchase helps save a pet and get it into a good home.

Lisa

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

http://www.charitynavigator.org

Anyone curious where their adoption fees went?
    I was surprised by the results of one of the Toledo ratings.
    Lorie

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

I've adopted 4 pups over the past 16 years and seen the fee steadily increase (along with everything else).

The last pup I rescued last January, cost around $300.00 (I live in Maryland next to D.C.).

I look at the fee as being minimal, however, this last one did get my attention.

There is a lot of people energy that goes into helping these animals. Most folks are very giving of their time etc. to help. In addition to paying the fee, I make it a point to donate regularly to all of the rescue operations that I have gotten one my furry children from.

SG

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Lisa they do.
    I know of one lady who does pet rescues and she bakes pet treats. Gourmet ones.

• labmomma
    16 years ago

lost - yes, think that those prices are a bit ridiculous. I haven't read all of the responses to your post got to one that posted in red and just got fed up with the ridiculous arguing over this issue. The forum is getting tiresome for me.

Any event, my question is: Don't people who have mixed breed puppies from unexpected litters ever put them in the newspaper anymore? Growing up we had a St. Bernard mix that we found in the local paper. Went to the house, picked out the pup and he was ours. I don't know if that's done any longer, but that would be the way I would go if I wanted to adopt an All American Black and Brown.

The kittens I have gotten thru the county that operates out of the local Petsmart have all been extremely sick within the first two weeks after adoption. Another reason I stopped adopting through Petsmart. Respiratory infections, hospitalizations. By the time it was all said and done, within the first two weeks of two of my cat's lives I had spent at least $300 on each. I don't think shelter animals are all that healthy. Just my opinion from what I have experienced with the kittens.

My dogs come from a reputable breeder that I have been dealing with for years, so I expect to pay for the experience, testing, whelping, shots, etc, i.e.; the services my breeder provides prior to my picking up my puppies. However, I would not pay a rescue or shelter the prices you post. I think I would want to see some sort of invoicing or cost breakdown before I would lay that kind of money out.

Just my $.02. I expect my post will be slammed by the rescue/shelter advocates. I don't care, since I don't live by the opinions/practices of others. I do what's best for me and my family - two and four legged members included.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

labmomma, thanks for writing, I had thought to get a mixed pup through the paper but evidently it is a thing of the past. I said in a post earlier it's not politically correct to give away a puppy or kitten. I know there are concerns for pets being sold to labs for testing but if everyone simply took a stand against products that tested like that... well that is a whole other topic. Bottom line I have decided to go through a breeder and just stay away from the rescue gods and goddesses. I just really do not care to give that much personal info out to anyone I don't know. Besides if I'm going to invest in a Gucci bag I want a NEW one, not second hand one at the same price
    Lorie

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Lorie - I'm sure you will find just the right "Gucci". I guess I am getting old, I didn't realize that people didn't put their mixed litters in the newspaper for adoption.

Best of luck to you!

• share_oh
    16 years ago

Hi Lorie

Yes I am in Ohio, about an hour south of Cleveland. We have puppies - come on down! lol Actually right now our puppies all go to a rescue pet store because our facility is so awful as far as keeping them healthy. Our new facility will have a puppy room and we'll be able to adopt out from there. I'm very excited about that.

We had a meeting last night about our new shelter and came up with a wish list of everything we wished it would have - of course we won't have the money for everything. But one of the things we want is a gift shop where we can sell things and help bring in money that way. Someone even said one shelter they looked at has its own second hand store that brings in thousands of dollars every month.

We also talked about a grooming room that could be rented out, a training room trainers could hold classes in and charge money. There are ways to bring in more revenue... I just hope we can make it all happen. It's pretty exciting.

Now if I could just win the lottery. :)
    Sher

• share_oh
    16 years ago

Here's my current set of fosters. I have no clue what kind of dogs are mixed in there. They are about 12 weeks old.

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

I think $200 to $300 is a very reasonable cost for a pound puppy, depending what it includes. Certainly that is at least what we spent for our "free" dogs from various sources, wheter we paid the rescue group up front or the costs afterwards. Here is how I arrived at those figures. Summary at the bottom.

Rescues and shelters vary widely in their fees for adopting a dog. For example, some muncipal shelters in Connecticut will charge 60 $US for in-state adoptions which includes a requirement for spay or neuter (altering) and 5 $US for out-of-state adopters which only includes a rabies vaccine. CT figures a dog going out of state is no longer their problem.

Food
    Care of the dog is the least cost if it is in decent health. Still, food and toys can add up to several hundred dollars if the dog is sheltered for several months. We have fostered several medium sized dogs and the food adds up.

Mortgage and salaries
    Municipal shelters and rescues with permanent buildings have to pay the mortgage and staff.

Altering
    Altering a dog costs $60 US at a minimum, and very few vets will do it for that price. That is a subsidized price and someone has to pay the difference eventually. A more realistic low cost is $70 and up for males, and $120 and up for females. Most shelters and rescues have a requirement the dog must be altered, many alter it before release.

Transportation
    Rescues using volunteers often retrieve dogs from the south. That incurrs transportation costs.

Temporary kenneling
    MA has a further requirement that all rescue dogs from out-of-state must be quarrantined for at least 72 hours to see if rabies develops. That requires extra kennels to quarrantine the animals.

Microchips
    Many rescues include microchipping because they do NOT want the dog to end up stray again. This is $20 for the chip and insertion and at least another $17 for registering with the tracking company.

Temperament Testing
    Both rescues and municipal shelters have some legal liability not to release dangerous dogs. To reduce their liability, many give basic temperament tests to see if the dog is safely adoptable, and to discover any special needs to match to new owners.

Veterinary care
    All dogs need shots and a checkup. Basic rabies shots are dirt-cheap BUT it has to be offcially recorded to count. That paperwork costs a little more. The first check-up is usually done by rescues and costs them. I am not even including costs a dog incurrs if it is diseased or injured!

Liability insurance
    Yeah, rescues and municipal shelters need it.

Totaling up the very minimum costs for a volunteer-only rescue with no permanent building:

$50 transport (guesstimate, one of a group of dogs)
    $30 part of the cost of one strong wire kennel
    $60 food for one month
    $50 first check-up and legal shots
    $70 altering
    $20 microchipping
    -----------
    $280 total

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Maybe I misunderstood the original complaint. I don't think the complaint was about charging $2-300 . That actually does sound pretty fair considering how much everything costs nowadays. But when you have a lab/shep mix for $200 but a lab/poodle mix (Labradoodle) puppy for $650 then it looks unreasonable. My big gripe is snatching up certain dogs before any individuals get a chance. That's what gets me steamed.

While the private groups' applications and in home visits are borderline unreasonable in many cases, that isn't what has me the most annoyed. What has me annoyed is claiming that for every day you care for this dog your group goes $X into debt, yet you take the dogs to petstores for weeks, collecting stacks upon stacks of applications all the while, getting people's hopes up only to select one person or worse I've heard about bidding wars with some of these designer dogs. It's absurd. It's not rescue- it's more like robbery. I'm not saying all groups are like this but there are some that might as well be wearing ski masks when they put those crates out on saturday morning.

"Rescue" to me is taking those dogs that are on the brink of being humanely destroyed for behavior or health reasons or overloaded shelters and giving these dogs a second chance and rehabilitation. Not charge market price for some dog that will get 50 applications for every hour it's at the pet store.

How can anyone feel like they personally helped or rescued a dog after paying $500+ for it and won out over a stack of other applicants? That's my problem!! I'm not arguing a $2-300 adoption fee on last chance cases that have needed tons of vet care ,scoialization and whatever else.

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

Quirky, I agree many rescue individuals have issues with control. And when we were looking for a particular type of dog, we did notice the rescues seemed to snap them up as soon as they were listed on petfinder. Finally, this made sense to us when we considered the muni shelter's job is to move the animals, one way or another. If a breed-specific rescue makes regular contact, and can pretty much guarantee a slot, even if it is in a foster holding home, then the muni shelter gets a good deal moving the dog out of government care into a private organization.

We have been frustrated by this, but that issue exists mostly in the northeast US. in other US areas, there are many, many more dogs than rescues. OP spoke of Canada. Costs are similar. I bet the rescues ae also similar.

When we were looking for a particular type of animal, we put out calls and left our name at many muni shelters. We were aggressive about it.

Our least expensive dog was from a family that was moving. We had a call out to the local animal control officer for a particular type. The ACO let us know about the family, and we got him directly from them. Even his being adult and altered, initial vetting and care cost a little over 100 $US because that family was unaware of some issues he had. (That is big, sweet Collar dog in the links below.)

The defacto system sure ain't perfect, but the breed-specific rescues do provide safe havens for a while, and are better than muni shelters (far from perfect) at finding more permanent homes because they do more extensive evals of both the dog and the prospective owners.

Here is a link that might be useful: our Wack Pack

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

quirky, I think that the type of rescue groups you describe are in the minority, at least around here. I browsed Petfinder for several months, searching on a few breed names and on medium-sized dogs. I do not recall seeing prices based on the desirability of the breed of the rescued dog. All dogs of similar age were priced the same at the links I explored. I do not argue that you are wrong about the rescues you cite, I am simply saying "please don't assume that all or most rescues work that way."

The rescue where we got Bina in February was great. They provided what I wanted: an accurate assessment on temperament and needs of the individual dogs, the start of socialization, info on the housebroken/not housebroken question that was based on the dog actually living in a house, and a taste of Unconditional Positive Regard for the dog, so that she would be able to start trusting that people could be good for her. No municipal shelter is going to give me these things. Any assessment they do on a dog is done under conditions of great stress and will not necessarily translate into a home situation. I finally just quit looking at the shelter lists, because our situation required information that a shelter could not give.

This rescue organization did want to check with my vet and my friends, to see if I was the kind of pet owner they wanted to work with. I liked that. Their home visit determined that I was not lying about my situation. My middle dog had belonged to a man who returned him to the shelter. He lived down the street from me, and I know that he did not have a fenced yard. One of the reasons I went and rescued the dog was that this shelter was unthinking enough to give a single guy in his early twenties who worked long hours, partied, and lived alone in a house with an unfenced yard a half-grown dalmatian mix who needed to run to expend energy. The dog was in a cage all day, then on a rope out back. I met the dog when he got lose and was exploring my garbage. Yes, the shelter did call my vet and my husband to make sure that the other adult in the house agreed to take the dog. But they did no home visit. I imagine the single guy had told them he had a fenced yard. His yard WAS partially fenced - but needed about fifteen feet of fence and gate to be done. I imagine the guy planned to do the work to enclose the yard, but he never got to it. Poor Casey suffered for it. I adopted him to get him out of there, thinking I would break the rules and get him a home with someone else. No way did I want them to mess up the dog by giving him another bad home. We ended up keeping him ourselves, though.

The rescue where we got Bina did have dogs that they rescued from shelters. They get dogs from shelters when they are on their last day before being killed. They also have connections to the southern US and will bring dogs up from Georgia and other southern states. Apparently, a lot of dogs have no chance at all down there by you, so some northern rescues bring the dogs up here. We do have plenty of homeless dogs here, I am not sure why they bring the dogs up from Georgia.

Just don't make generalizations about rescue groups based on a few you have seen. They are not all trying to recoup the cost of less desirable dogs by jacking up the adoption price of the desirable ones.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I cant say that the original post was a complaint at all. I was just in sticker shock that a shelter/rescue dog cost as much as a purebred dog. I was just curious as to the costs in other areas and if anyone else thought it was high.

What I did complain about was the adoption process. I resent being assumed guilty before proven innocent. I really had issues with places that "contact you in about 5 days IF you are approved". Sorry, I'm not into "their" head games.

Share oh, I maybe in touch with you in a few weeks when I go back to Ohio! The puppies are adorable and hubby liked the one on the right. We will see how it goes looking up here in the meanwhile.
    Lorie

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

The reasons most people don't advertise mixed breed puppies for free any more, at least around here is often low lifes cruise the adds looking to pick up animals as bait dogs. Or at least thats what everyone gets told. I'm sure some probably do but I don't know to what degree thats true. Also why should they give them away when you can stick a cutsie name on a mix and sell them for big bucks.

Lisa

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Nancy wrote: "Just don't make generalizations about rescue groups based on a few you have seen. They are not all trying to recoup the cost of less desirable dogs by jacking up the adoption price of the desirable ones."

I'm trying not to. I've said it at least two times in this thread that "not all rescue groups...this" or "Most groups don't do...that".
    But that's about the stuff we all agree is wrong.

What I am lumping MOST breed specific groups in the same catagory about is removing dogs from kill shelters before anyone has a chance to get to them locally. The system is broken though. There needs to be cooperation between the muni shelters and the private groups. Just make it fair, that's all I ask. People should have a fair opportunity to adopt locally so that the shelter becomes a place people go to to adopt pets instead of a place to avoid because all they have left is a bunch of pit mixes with health problems.

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

lost, I think I was referring more to QQ's comments. I can understand resenting that they ask too many questions, but the young man who had our Casey was an example of why they should verify how things are in the adopter's home.

Quirky, I do see your point about you qualifying your comments. You have done this, it is my selective memory that is having you ranting, not the reality of what you have written. I apologize for my strong comments.

Around here, the muni shelters are closing and the towns are allowing the rescue groups lease the facility and do the work the employees used to do. There is no money in this, no one is getting rich from it around here. We also have seen plenty of purebreds in the regular rescues. When I was searching for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, we did find purebred dogs, and some fairly nearby in non-breed rescues. It sounds like the breed rescues are working overtime there in GA, qq! Be comforted that northerners are coming down to rescue the dogs in the pound, foster them in the rescue organization homes, and adopt them to regular folks.

I have also heard that advertising puppies for free or near free is just asking for pitbull trainers to get them to train their dogs to kill. Does anybody know if this is an urban legend or not?

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

I was just in sticker shock that a shelter/rescue dog cost as much as a purebred dog.

A-ha! Now I know how to explain it.

1) The LABOR and SERVICES of a rescued dog cost 1/2 as much as 2) the RAW MATERIAL purebred dog from the pet store. From 3) a reputable fancier-breeder, you get SERVICE and very good RAW MATERIAL at a reasonable price.

With a rescued dog, you get a through evaluation and a matchmaker for compatibility, the dog is vetted, healthy, altered, and microchipped for about $200-$300.

With a purebred pup from the pet store, for about $600-$1200, you get a dog usually of lousy quality, from squalid conditions so it is barely healthy, it is vetted by a person under contract at the minimum price. On that you add chipping, altering, take a blind risk on the temperament and genetic health, and some real vetting.

With a purebred pet-quality pup from a reputable breeder-fancier, for about $500-1000, you get someone who will be a fierce, protective matchmaker for compatibility, a guarantee of quality and disclosure of probable issues, and a guarantee the dog can be returned if your life changes and you must surrender it.

There, I got it!

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry measure twice, you got "nuthin". Well maybe the god/goddess syndrome. You took what I said and bent it to fit your thoughts and feelings. If you look closely at what I said, you would see I had no complaints with the cost. I just had sticker shock, much like I did when I moved from Ohio to rural Canada. What was 30k there is 100 k here. If you looked at a car and it was high in price in your view, you would go look down the road and look at the next, and the next. All I did was ask for opinions on it. In the United States and Canada, we call that comparison shopping and is generally looked upon favorably.

Now, having said that, you are accusing credible breeders of squalid conditions and ill bred animals. It is pretty much the same argument that has been stated of some products the rescue organizations are putting up as rescues. (ie puppy mill rescues, last chance puppies at the pounds/shelter/spca what ever you want to call them.)

What you don't say is that the rescue group takes upon themselves the vetting, shipping and other sundry items that I would prefer to have the option of taking care of myself from a vet I trust. That is THEIR choice not mine.

Again, if you had carefully read what I said, you would see that I had more of a problem with the application process and NOT the fees. Maybe the day will come soon where everyone that wishes to purchase a pet will have to provide finger prints and a criminal record check, kind of like I used to do when I worked with adults with disabilities.

Bottom line: It is up to me, the consumer to decide where I want to spend my money. It is up to me to make a wise decision on which animal I adopt or purchase. It is up to me to educate myself on what is the perfect animal for my household. It is up to me to learn how to evaluate this animal and to accept responsibility of its care whether it is sick or healthy. Most of all it is up to me to respect this animal in IT's decision to accept me as its care giver and constant source of love and security.

No matter where an animal is born, it did not have a choice. Much like the child born with the silver spoon in its mouth and the child wrapped in newspaper and laid to sleep in a dresser drawer, if we adopt these creatures, both should have an equal opportunity at the best things in life. It is up to us the owner, and protectorate to give it what it needs emotionally or physically.
    Lorie

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

"Be comforted that northerners are coming down to rescue the dogs in the pound"

LOL! Yes when I first read that comment from the other poster I got a bit of chuckle.
    It's true though. I know of a rescue group that has come here to GA to get dogs. Evidently people here don't like to spay/neuter before we chain our dogs in heat to the tree in the back yard.

"I have also heard that advertising puppies for free or near free is just asking for pitbull trainers to get them to train their dogs to kill. Does anybody know if this is an urban legend or not?"

Not only that but also those secret laboratories where they do animal testing. Like in the movie the shaggy dog.

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

Labmomma, I haven't seen you posting as much lately, so I was wondering what happened to you! I think that posting puppies in the paper isn't as popular anymore because of web sites like CraigsList.com People post there all the time for free (and some with pictures), a newspaper charges to run ads. Kind of like e-mail versus mailing a letter. When I adoped my cat, the fee was 65.00 which included shots and neutering. That was from the SPCA. I don't think I'd have paid much more than that though. There are TONS of free animals online, and the shelters NEED to find homes for the ones they have so I'd think they would want to make it as easy as possible on people. 300 for a dog that isn't a pure breed is crazy. If they keep doing that, more and more people are going to be looking for "free" animals in the paper and online and those animals will not have shots or alterations done. They are going to create a vicious cycle.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beware the Craigslist. I inquired about 2 puppies and was made an offer by 2 Nigerian Scams. Well one was in Cameroon.
    Lorie

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

Yes, it is full of scams. It is also full of people trying to unload their "beloved" pets because they have CHOSEN to move to a place that doesn't allow pets. Sometimes it makes me sick! Certainly not a first choice for pet owners, BUT if shelters are going to charge outrageous fees I think people would look for cheaper or free options.

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

Sorry measure twice, you got "nuthin". Well maybe the god/goddess syndrome.
    Actually, I was not responding directly to you. And I am flattered you even consider me for a god. Way cool! I don't even do rescue.

Yes, the application process seems invasive. It did to me when we applied to various rescues. Then I read on petfinder about the many experiences rescuers had with applicants who simply could not manage the animal and lied simply to get one. Then there is a higher probability the dog will end up back in a shelter and they gotta rescue it all over again, if the animal is lucky.

If you don't like being questioned on your intent or ability, OK, then don't apply to rescues. A breeder-fancier will indeed cross-examine you and make a rescue seem like a breeze. It is a strange experience. I found it so when we spoke to a breeder.

No, the reason I wrote about 3 ways to get an animal was simply to explain what one gets from each service.

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

Last year when I got Jake, my two year old Lab mix, from our county shelter it only cost me $25. They had him neutered and my vet gave me a discount for his shots. He is the best dog, very healthy and well-behaved.

• mazer415
    16 years ago

I live in Northern California. Nine years ago I paid about eighty dollars for a 6 month old pup, and like the previous poster I got a coupon for a discount for neutering at the vet. I found this very reasonable. I probably would not pay more than $150 for a pet anywhere. That is just my limit. Turns out I paid more in vet bills with my mixed breed than any other dog I have ever owned. thou i would do it again in a heart beat.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda and mazer, Those are the lines I was thinking of for a price. I was just shocked to see how much the rescues were charging.
    I had kind of stepped away from this thread because it was getting kind of ugly but I do want to add that I did find a "free" puppy and we love him so much and he is a hoot to watch. The young man that gave the puppy up had only had it a week when he was offered a job and had to make a decision. Evidently, when he posted the free puppy online he was swamped with people berating him for advertising for free, as only people who wanted pups for research labs and baiting would want it. Rescues "offered" to take it for the same reason. He also had a lot of offers to adopt the pup from people who had no idea what a blue tick hound was like. This young man was very concerned where his pup was going to go and when I went out to meet him he had his mom, grandparents, cousin and girlfriend there to help him make a sound judgement on who would be right for his puppy. Evidently, I was the only one that brought my dogs so he could see their overall health. I brought pictures of my yard, my vet bills and certificates and licensing for the pets. We talked for about an hour out in his yard after talking on the phone for that long too. The funny thing is the clincher for the puppy coming home with us was the fact I had worn my "puppy shoes" They are expensive sandals that have the straps all but chewed off by our Abby.
    When I started to look for a puppy I had figured my budget of around 500 dollars to get the puppy, give it's needles and be neutered. I was shocked to see that some places wanted as much or more for a heinz 57 pup that was a bit older because they took care of its initial care. I, wanted to be the one who did that for my puppy. Since I have looked for a "free" or low cost puppy people have assumed that I cant afford to care for one. Trust me.. my pets are pampered and are well cared for. I really resent being judged by people who don't know me.
    Well "nuff" said on this topic.
    Lorie

• mazer415
    16 years ago

whooho a blue tick - boy you are gunna have your hands full with that little one. Good luck with your new addition. I bet it is a beautiful animal

• jannie
    16 years ago

At my town's pound, or should I say, animal shelter, any pet adopted comes in good health, no parasites, and is neutered. Since vet services are already paid, a cost of $200 to $300 seems reasonable. Plus, they are "no kill" so many animals stay there for years and require food,etc.