SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Starting over with floors

TxMarti
10 years ago

Tears are stinging my eyes as I write this, and maybe I should wait to ask, but I thought it might pull me out of my depression to start working on a plan.

I came home from a vacation last night to find that a water line under the sink had come loose and ruined a lot of the flooring and a few other things. We're on slab and the engineered wood flooring in the dining room and hall is toast. The restoration service pulled a lot of it up because the water had gotten under it and was trapping the water under the walls.

They said there is a chance, though slim that our new kitchen tile might pop loose, so we are waiting to see about that.

They drilled holes through the bases of all our kitchen and laundry cabinets to push air through and pulled up all the baseboard. The sides of the cabinets are plywood and I haven't been able to get to them to see if they are damaged.

I can see that the plywood sides of 2 of the 3 sections of my china cabinet seems to be separating near the bottom.

The bases of my bedroom chest and dresser also got wet and have swelled. The sides of those are plywood also, so we're watching to see if they delaminate or shrink back down.

We are going to replace the flooring in the formal living room which we use as dining room, the hall, the foyer, and 3 bedrooms plus 5 closets. The tile in the kitchen and laundry seems ok at this point and the berber in the family room is fine.

This is the 4th time we have had water damage in this house and I am seriously thinking about just having the house put back together, sell it, and move. That could be depression talking and I'll feel differently tomorrow, or next week when these deafening fans are gone.

So here are my questions.

1) Would you put wood flooring throughout or just in the foyer, formal living, and hall, with carpet in the bedrooms? Dh likes carpet under his feet when he gets out of bed, and I would rather have wood for allergies and cleaning.

2) If selling, would you put in built in china cabinets or free standing?

3) Also if selling, would you make any structural upgrades while the house was empty? The upgrade I am thinking of is to move a wall in the master bedroom to make the tiny 3'x5' closet into a 5'x6' closet but will make the bedroom smaller, from 12'x16' to 12'x14'.

Comments (18)