SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adayfromnow

Help PLEASE! I started lasagna, do I need to start over?

adayfromnow
16 years ago

*sigh* I don't know how I got the impression I was doing this right, but I did. Too much research, not enough memory, I guess. Anyway...

Can you PLEASE tell me if I need to stop & start over or do something completely different!?

The area I'm working is about 10' x 12' & FULL of weeds. The soil is partially clay & partially loamy(?) [It's had a few years of organics land on it so it's better than it was before].

I did NOT till the ground first or flip over patches (I JUST now read that part). I just laid out a bunch of cardboard (1 layer thick) and spread about 1.5" worth of rotting leaves on top. I was going to get some humus & soil from the surrounding area & pile it on top of the leaves.

1) Will this "method" kill the weeds underneath?

I DO want to use this area for some plants that I have now because it actually gets decent sun. Most of the plants are in containers now. I wanted to put them in the ground but can wait if I have to.

2) Can I plant "into" my mini-sagna (I guess I would have to cut holes in the cardboard because it's too shallow)? OR

3) Would I be better off doing a raised bed here?

I'm so frustrated. No matter how much research I do, it seems every time I turn around I realize that I've done something WRONG. Maybe I should just give up on trying to garden & find another hobby!

Sorry. Thanks for the advice & thanks for listening to me WHINE!!

- Mari

Comments (6)