SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imrainey

GREAT day; bad day

imrainey
13 years ago

I have probably taken at least 5 FMQ classes over the years. And I've experimented on my own with several training wheel techniques to get me started. I've laid out paper and quilted over the lines and I actually bought a Bernina just to get the stitch regulator (which you have to learn to use anyway =o so why bother?). But, until last night, I considered myself hopeless. Certifiably Hopelessâ¢!

So yesterday I took a full day class with Sue Rasmussen and now I actually believe it's something I could learn. She kept pushing me to get even stitches that struck her as the proper length. I was just thrilled not to have stitched lines that looked like they were done by a drunken 2yo who was wearing boxing gloves. But for about 1 1/2 minutes I got a spot she called A+. (She actually made me circle it and label it A+. It was like being in grade school again! ;> ) (Not sure how long it will take to do that again -- she made me run the machine much faster than I was comfortable with and when I do get the machine going at that clip, I compensate by moving my hands even faster and getting tiny, tiny, tiny stitches...)

Now I actually am encouraged to practice and develop some skill. I could only do a fill, mind you, but I could do a fill that wouldn't have 1/4" stitches and curves with burrs on them and knots all over the back. I was able to sew and decide where to go next at the same time. That's the other big thing that I've never been able to do before. I am on my way to 1) actually finishing quilts and 2) saving serious money on long arm services. Yippee Skippy!!!

I don't think I've been this excited and gratified since I got my drivers license at 16 (pretty close to half a century ago!). All in all, it was a GREAT use of a day and more than my money's worth.

The bad part of the day was that I learned that the quilt shop that's just 3 miles from my house -- the people who brought out bolts of fabric to put under my head and my knee while I waited for the ambulance when I broke my knee cap last New Year's -- is closing in March. =o

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH