SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Got an offer (well, kinda)

Nancy in Mich
17 years ago

We moved into our new house 360 days ago, then got our old one ready for sale. It went for sale FSBO March 1 for $160K for a 3 BR, 1 Ba 1447 sq ft ranch home with a 1.5 car attached garage. Included in the square footage is a big bonus room above the garage, half a storey higher than the rest of the house. (The house was built in 1950 and the basement foundation wall raises the house 3 ft higher than ground level.) We remodeled the kitchen in 2003, back when we thought we would live there forever, and it is very nice.

In April, we had an appraisal done and based on that, we raised the price to $165K. At that point, very few had seen the house, the spring season was just starting. Our market analysis by a local Realtor in Feb had put the value at between $160 - $165K, so the appraisal (based on sales after the first of the year) was helpful, we thought.

I showed the house every Sunday March - July, did countless fliers, put a few ads in papers and posted the fliers in local stores. Aug 1, we signed with the Realtor and I think we had two showings before the listing expired Nov 1. We also lowered the price July 1 to $160K, then to $154.9K in early September. We gave the Realtor a 1 month extension Nov 1, and it has been shown two or three times since.

Things are Very Slow around here!

So now we are asking $154,900 and we learned on Monday that the party who saw the house for a second time on Sunday would be making an offer on Friday, once their Preapproval Letter was redone (it had expired.) I got the call today, and our Realtor was bummed. He did prepare me by saying, "don't be insulted." We were offered $119.000 with $6000 in seller concessions with $500 down! I did not get insulted, I just laughed. My gosh - we are already priced at $5000 below what the house across the street sold for in October, and we have 500 more sq ft, 40 ft more frontage and all new paint and refinished oak floors.

So we countered at $151,900 with taxes paid through August 1 2007 (about $2200), and a half-percent decrease in the buyer's realtor's commission (ours is already getting 2.5%). The return offer was the full $140K that the prospective buyer can get from her mortgage company, with us still paying $6000 in closing costs for the buyer.

This buyer just cannot afford the house. So no good news from here, today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house

Comments (24)