SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Got an offer......

patty_cakes
16 years ago

The pieces are all fitting together nicely~the pictures were lousy, my agent is lousy, and the offer is lousy~go figure. Of course a lousy agent thinks any offer is a good offer cause he gets his commision, and in this case, at only 3 weeks on the market, it would be sooner rather than later.

I dropped my price last week from the original 399,900-449,500 to 389,900-435,500. The offer came in at 396,000 with the buyer wanting me to pay, get this, 19,000 in closing costs, making the actual price for the property 376,000. Apparently he 's planning to buy down the interst rate(?)or that's what i've been told. Could there be another explanation? The good thing is, he's been pre-approved, doesn't have a property to sell, and he's willing to do a 30-45 day closing.

I'm countering with 425,000 and giving him 5,000 toward points, which *realistically* makes it a 420,000 counter. From what i've been told, there's a possibility he can probably only qualify for 417,000, but maybe he could get a second mortage. His sister is a big wig at Wells Fargo here, so maybe she'll be able to 'work him a deal'.

I hope to hear something by the end of the day, so will keep you posted.

Comments (52)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've been wondering how you're doing and was going to bump your other post back up but you beat me to it.

Keep us posted! Hopefully you can make this work.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

This is as good an explanation as any of a mortgage buydown

How much is he planning to mortgage? WF is out of the jumbo game (at $417K), so ....

As far as your offer - the minimum list price is what most people would have used to put in a bid, so he's offered 96% of list. Your San Diego market may be used to the variable pricing, but that does not mean people will not only look at the bottom number when putting in an offer.

• Related Discussions

We got an offer on our home after it was taken off the market.

Q

Comments (6)
    Typically, a listing agreement has a period of time after expiration where you would owe commission ONLY IF the potential buyer had viewed the home BEFORE the listing expired. If you find a buyer on your own now, you won't owe commission. However, you need to be sure they didn't attend one of the open houses etc or have a private showing. Your former agent has access to all the sales data from the MLS, so they will be able to check up on you to make sure you are honoring the contract. If your buyer is really "new" to the property, you don't need to involve the agents. Even if your state has a "standard" contract, you should still have a RE lawyer represent your interests. It will only be a couple hundred bucks and will protect your biggest asset. As to how to proceed, ask the potential buyer to submit a formal written offer. That will let you know pretty quickly who you are dealing with.
    ...See More

Got an offer

Q

Comments (9)
    Hello Weedyacres - In response to your question, "In your opinion, what has your new agent done that your old one didn't?" I guess it starts right at the beginning. Our new agent put the sign up the day we listed, and she did it correctly. It didn't fall over the first time the wind blew like the first agent's did. She took the video for the virtual tour the next afternoon, and it was up two days later. The first agent had sold us on her company's "professional state of the art virtual tours", and how great our home would look presented to interested buyers that way. Then she never got the virtual tour video done in the three months we were with her. Never. Nothing. The new agent brought a photographer with her to take pictures of the house. He took a bunch of photos. They put up twenty pictures with the listing, and they looked great. The first agent took 5 shots with her point and shoot, and they were basically nondescript and washed out. One of them wasn't level, but she said that didn't matter when I pointed it out to her. The new agent told us she called at least a dozen other real estate offices to let agents she has worked with know about the listing the first few days it was active. The buyer supposedly has been looking since December 1, and never was told about it previously. The old agent told us she sent out an "email alert" to other agents once a month to remind them of the listing. You have to draw your own conclusions on this one. I don't know why the email apparently did not get the same response. I can only guess the new agent talked up the house to encourage visits. The new agent was already planning an open house ( and wanted to do them every six weeks, if we agreed)because she says we are off the beaten path, and she wants to be sure people know about us. The previous agent told us she was not going to do an open house, because we are too far out in the country and it would waste her time... Again, draw your own conclusions. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of things, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.
    ...See More

YIPEEE Got an offer today!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Congratulations! We recently sold after 8 months We only got the one offer so I know how exciting just having someone finally decide of all the choices out there, they are interested in your home. In a different time I might have been offended with the offer we received. We had already reduced the price by 11% and their offer came in another 11 percent below our reduced price. We didnt HAVE to sell and frankly financially we couldn't accept the original offer anyway so a counter offer to us was a no-brainer. My agent had told us months before an offer was on the table that most people were just flat out accepting any reasonable offer they get since they are few and far between. We countered and recountered till we reached a point where they came up to our self imposed bottom line but they still got a good deal. It was 94% of the current asking price. We were happy to be done. Our agent also felt confident we could probably make up some of our "loss" selling on the uying end. We are buying our new home at 90% of the CURRENT list price and 77% of the original list price. They were listed for 8 months as well.
    ...See More

Got an offer...some questions

Q

Comments (10)
    You do not want to agree to that offer. The two closings are too close together. You want enough time to know that they have closed before you move out. They should be able to get financing way before the day before closing. They should also be willing to sign off on all contingencies before you move out. I would not agree to pay their closing costs, especially as written. You would not know what they are until the day before closing. Their costs could be quite high, especially if they buy down the mortgage with points. The title contingency needs to be modified. 45 days might be OK if there was a title defect that needed curing. If not, which is most likely, I would insist that contingency be removed at least ten days prior to closing. Frankly, I would probably not even counter the offer. It's all their way and nothing about it seems equitable. It leaves you wide open for an indeterminate sum with the distinct possibility of having to move out and having the deal fall through at the last minute. What does your agent say?
    ...See More
  • triciae
    16 years ago

Good luck with your counter. Patty_cakes, I just don't understand this "value" range thing.

Is your condo for sale at $389K, or not? In this market, why would anyone offer more?

/t

• minet
    16 years ago

Our house in SoCal was listed last year, first with a value range of 600-615k. I didn't understand it either, but apparently it was common there. I don't know how effective it is.

We got an offer the first week for 615k with us paying 13k closing costs, so our *real* price was 602k. It was within the range, and we were moving out of state, so we took it.

Alas, the buyer fell through in escrow when apparently his partners in the house backed out, so we re-listed the house, at a set price. I think it was 595k or 600k. Sold it in about another month.

I think the range pricing became popular when it was a seller's market there - "we will consider offers in this range but really think it will sell for the higher amount, or more."

As a buyer or seller, I wouldn't know how to counter an offer, if it had been set with a range pricing.

• teelag
    16 years ago

patty cakes,

Just wishing you good luck and I hope you can work something out with this offer!!

Keep us posted.

• ncguy32
    16 years ago

Why would the seller pay $425 (Your Counter Offer) when your listed range is $389,900-$435,500? This whole "range" pricing is very lame in my opinion. The house is either worth $389,900 or it's not. You are either willing to accept $389,900 or you're not. What is the point of the $389,900 price if you aren't willing to accept that for your house. Seems like a silly trick that would turn most buyers off.

• dabunch
    16 years ago

patty_cakes,

I've posted on your thread before, when you decided to range-price it.
    My opinion was that I would offer even less than the bottom of your price range & ignore the rest. I'm guessing your buyer is trying something similar. He's offering you a bit over the lowest range, but wants 19k back. In essence, he's offering you lees than the lower end ;)

I understand that theory behind fishing in more lookers, but your banking on "not too bright buyers" to fall for that tactic. I doubt that anyone with half a brain will offer to buy your home at the higher end-JMO.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

i also question why anyone would offer anything above the low price in the range.This marketing ploy is utter nonsense.As others have said, i'd offer below your low price and perhaps negotiate towards/or slightly above the low range.Who in their right mind would offer in even the midrange as a starting offer? Good luck,but i'd seriously reconsider this way of selling a home

• monzamess
    16 years ago

Who in their right mind would offer in even the midrange as a starting offer?

Someone who really wants the house in a seller's market.

As most markets are, or are turning into, buyer's markets, I expect to see this technique go away, and maybe come back in another housing up cycle.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

Monza, the reality is the market is NOT a sellers market,or else the home would have sold..This gimmick may work in a sellers market on some prospective buyers, but i'd not fall for it..The "trick" i see here is by range pricing, you get several offers all over the range, then call in all offers for "last and best" offers, this would drive the likely offers higher, without ever realizing 3 of the offers were at the bottom of range...A realtor gimmick if i ever saw one, and a tad slimy if you ask me...

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

patty_cakes,
    I finally figured this out because I felt like, why didn't they just offer us, for example (these are not our real numbers), "$300K" instead of "$315K with $15K help with closing"

I'm not sure if this applies to your buyer, but our buyers are cash-poor, so paying closing costs allows them to max their loan (at $315K, minus their down payment) and have enough cash to close on the sale. They are putting all their available cash for the down payment, which at 3% is pretty close to a 100% loan, and they literally don't have the cash to pay Maryland's really expensive closing costs. We're okay with this since we were just about to drop our asking price yet another $10K within a couple of days.
    Another friend is in the same boat here in Florida, but her buyers actually raised the contract sell price (to be paid via their loan) to cover her costs that she is incurring by paying their closing costs. (Gosh I hope this explanation makes sense)

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know, I know I KNOW! The dual-pricing is crazy, but was suggested by my agent~the majority of my competitors are using the MRV system for pricing, as is the case with SD in general.

Of course it brings in the 'botttom feeders', and with the tough housing market, people have the mindset they can buy cheap, but the seller does have the option to accept or reject. It's really about bringing in more lookers, and hopefully coming to an agreed price, someplace in the middle.

Qdognj, 'slimy gimmick' might be right, but knowing nothing, i'm listenign to my REA as he 'supposedly' knows best. In my case, i'm finding out NOT.

c9pilot, i'm of the opinion the interested party is also cash poor, and wants to get in the door by closing costs being paid, but $19,000?! That's way too unreasonable IMO, and places my property way below the comps in the area. There are several other properties(5 condos in my complex) he could look at in his price range, but he seems to want the most/best for the least.

I sent the fax this morning with a counter of $424,500, plus $5,000 toward closing, and now will just sit and wait it out. I *know* I have the room to come down more, but how bad does he want to buy and can he come up in price at all? I'm trying to remain optimistic.....and patient.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

I guess I don't understand why you would counter with 424K when the limit on conventional loans is currently 417K. It's no coincidence, you know, that your buyer's limit is also 417K. That's got to mean he's putting no money down at all and financing the whole thing.

I understand lenders are hardly writing jumbos these days.

If my assumptions are true, the most he could offer you is 417K, and he may well want that 19K in closing costs, which would net you 398K. But if it were me, I'd counter your counter at no more than $408,900 minus the 19K, which would net you $389,900, the bottom of your offered price range.

This could be a long negotiation.

• try_99
    16 years ago

You obviously know your market the best then anyone else here....based on which what you perceive as a fair offer for your home is your decision. If you are serious about selling and since it is a condo and it is in SD - please make sure that you stay on top of your local market without getting emotionally attached to your home and do not get caught playing catch up to the market. I know it is not easy but the last thing you want to do is end up chasing the market.

It seems like this range pricing may be a norm in CA. But it may backfire in a buyer's market. Also you may get many 'lousy' offers but try to negotiate if possible. Sometimes in such markets the first offer you get turns out to be the best offer.

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

An interesting perspective on value range pricing....

Here is a link that might be useful: value range pricing

• beachmamaproperties
    16 years ago

Another interesting article on range pricing in the NYT today

Here is a link that might be useful: New York Times Article on Range Pricing 9/9/07

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I thought that this paragraph towards the end of the article told the story about range pricing in a buyer's market:

The house they ultimately bought was first on the market at a fixed price of $765,000. Stymied in inactivity, it was relisted at a range of $698,500 to $765,000. Still, the couple offered only $650,000 and agreed on $675,000.

When this house was relisted with range pricing it was really more like dropping the price from $765,000 to $698,000. The eventual buyers completely ignored the middle and top of the range and just looked at the low number - and then offered $50,000 less. I think that if you use range pricing in a buyer's market, thinking that you will end up somewhere in the middle of your range you need to rethink your strategy. I can definitely see how range pricing works in seller's market, when there are multiple bids, but in this market when sellers are lucky to get any offer, it just doesn't make sense to me.

• try_99
    16 years ago

yes I agree with you terriks...sellers are at a disadvantage with this system. Even before beginning the negotiations you are declaring to the buyer that I have reduced my price from 765,000 to 698,500. So if the buyer has at least little common sense, he will see this and treat 698,500 as the list price and start negotiations from there.

• triciae
    16 years ago

terriks,

I agree with you. It seems so obvious to me. If anything, presenting a property for sale with range-pricing in a declining buyer's market seems like asking for deeply discounted offers.

But hey...since I like patty_cakes I hope it works for her!

As a native Californian (born & raised in the San Joaquin & then in Laguna Hills),I can get away with saying this...maybe folks on the "left" coast just aren't as bright & can't figure this range-pricing scheme out?? :)

/tricia

• susanjn
    16 years ago

patty_cakes, unfortunately every time you post, we get derailed by discussing the whole range pricing thing.

It seems to me that the $417k limit is your biggest problem here. Of course, he's trying to get "the most/best for the least". That's a good shopper. From his perspective, it doesn't hurt to ask. He may end up settling for one of the smaller, less updated units in your complex. It's a gamble for both of you. Your place is lovely, and I hope you eventually get a price that satisfies you.

Susan

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, how's everything going? Do you have an update? Are you ready to pull your hair out?

patty_cakes, unfortunately every time you post, we get derailed by discussing the whole range pricing thing.

Since most states don't use it, most of us have no clue how someone would make an offer that was more towards the higher price. The pricing interests me, if we did that here, my house may be sold already because it would put us in a new price category.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

the main concern, i see, with 417k or jumbo limits are those that are taking a mortgage above 417k and putting little down..I have a friend who is a mortgage broker, and he says those that put down 25% or better and apply for a jumbo have little problems obtaining one.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At this point, i'm inclined to agree that the value pricing might not be to my or other sellers advantage. Like has been said previously, in a hot market, it's proven to be quite effective. However with prices down, it might leave a buyer to believe the seller will bite at a lower price. I trused my agent to know what he was doing, and it's obvious to me, that after only 6 years in RE his dealings were in a mild to hot market.

Feedingfrenzy, I can't take anything for granted. Just because he wants to take advantage of the highest amount of a conventional loan doesn't mean he hasn't other alternatives. He may be choosing not to dig into savings or whatever other means he may have. Being his sister is in the lending industry, she may have suggested he take advantage of such a loan and try to get a rock bottom price. IMO, $389 is utterly absurd, and I won't drop to that level until the bottom completely falls out in S. Ca.

Tricia, LOL! Hope the 'left coast' people don't take the remark the wrong way, but things in CA *are* different than other places in the country. I can't imagine the value pricing working in TX and other similiar areas. Thanks for your support.

Susan, sorry about that. I can only hope we come to an agrement and he won't have to look at the other units!

Roselvr, still waiting to hear something. I've come to the conclusion that my agent doesn't work on weekends if he doesn't have to. As for the other agent, she's supposedly out of town. I sure hope I hear something back on Mon.!!

Qdognj, like I mentioned to FF. He may have other alternatives, but not willing to dip into them.

I'm not going down like a sinking ship yet. I'm always reading on this forum that the first offer is usually the best offer, but I ain't seein' that at this time. Try to stay positive with me and hope the buyer and myself can come to a happy ultimatum.

Thanks everyone for your support and valued input!

• triciae
    16 years ago

patty_cakes,

Now, I'm really confused! If you think $389K is "really absurd" why are you listing at that price?

/t

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

If I were a buyer, I wouldn't consider 389K an "utterly ridiculous" offer because, after all, that's where your listing range starts. By listing that way, aren't you confusing buyers into thinking that's an acceptable price to offer?

Maybe you should relist at a single price?

And regarding the offer you have. The fact that the buyer doesn't have a property to sell and is flexible about the closing date indicates he may well be a first-time buyer and really not be sitting on piles of money.

But I guess you'll soon find out if he's still interested.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

If I were a buyer, I wouldn't consider 389K an "utterly ridiculous" offer because, after all, that's where your listing range starts. By listing that way, aren't you confusing buyers into thinking that's an acceptable price to offer?

Maybe looking at pricing around $425 - $430 would be a better solution for right now?

• xamsx
    16 years ago

patty_cakes you are sending out mixed signals to us... I cannot imagine how confused a buyer would be. If you have a price in mind, maybe you'd be better off dumping the range pricing and just list at one number? Or at least raising your bottom value so you aren't so upset when someone uses the bottom range as their starting point? Quite possibly the "value pricing" worked for sellers in a hot market, but it seems like it would work against sellers in a neutral-buyer market.

As I mentioned in my first post, and the thought was repeated & expanded upon by others, a jumbo loan starts at $417K. The credit market at $417K+ has tightened up. If you are looking to sell at $417K+ your buyer will definitely need a pocket full of cash for closing costs & a down payment to get their loan under the jumbo range. You can certain hope this buyer has "other options" (and maybe he does), but that doesn't mean he wants to utilize them to buy your place. Is your condo considered a starter-house in San Diego? If so, you may want to take that into consideration.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep folks, I *do* consider a $389K price absurd, based on my comps, and i'm sure the buyers' agent has relayed that to his client. Neither agent or client know what is going on in my head, so any offer is an offer, BUT it can be accepted or rejected.

What I *should* have done is already water over the dam. I needed a starting point Tricia, F'frenzy, and Roselvr, as my agent chose to list the way we did. I saw so much of the double listings that I went along with it thinking it must work, therefore, that's what i'll do. I admit to my stupidy or being naieve, and maybe should have researched it on line. Obviously, I would have read that it had been tested in SD, and formed the conclusion that it works, and still listed as I did. It may be woking against me, as xamsx has suggested.

Xamsx, I believe he is a first time buyer, but my agent hasn't reinforced that yet. And yes, it would be considered a starter home based on it's price, and yes, I have taken that into consideration. There are shacks in other parts of the city at the same or even higher prices~my home would me condidered to be at the median level of housing for SD.

My REA called this morning to say he had presented the offer, and was a bit more 'up' than the last itme I talked to him. I can only hope he is 'on my side,' and has the professionalism and ethics to take a positive stance on my counter. Keep your fingers crossed with me! Tomorrow is sure to bring me some sort of answer.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

"What I *should* have done is already water over the dam."

Of course, but what's relevant is what you will need to do if this buyer gets away. I think that's why everyone's going on about it.

Hope you get good news.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Yep folks, I *do* consider a $389K price absurd, based on my comps, and i'm sure the buyers' agent has relayed that to his client. Neither agent or client know what is going on in my head, so any offer is an offer, BUT it can be accepted or rejected.

Patty, check your contract. My agent was going to hold someone to an offer because technically it was "full price". Your agent may do the same thing if it falls within your range. You may have to pay commission if you do not accept from what I read on a post at city data

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

What I *should* have done is already water over the dam. I needed a starting point Tricia, F'frenzy, and Roselvr, as my agent chose to list the way we did. I saw so much of the double listings that I went along with it thinking it must work, therefore, that's what i'll do. I admit to my stupidy or being naieve, and maybe should have researched it on line. Obviously, I would have read that it had been tested in SD, and formed the conclusion that it works, and still listed as I did. It may be woking against me, as xamsx has suggested.

If for some reason you can't get this deal to work, maybe you want to think to use regular pricing, with a price you can live with?

My REA called this morning to say he had presented the offer, and was a bit more 'up' than the last itme I talked to him. I can only hope he is 'on my side,' and has the professionalism and ethics to take a positive stance on my counter. Keep your fingers crossed with me! Tomorrow is sure to bring me some sort of answer.

Keep us posted! I will be wondering all day today how you made out. Crossing my fingers & toes ;)

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roselvr, thank you so much for being my constant cheerleader! How are things going with your home? Have you had anymore open houses? Is this agent 'doing his job?' Sure hope things are working out well and some interest is being shown in your home. It can be pretty frustrating, as i'm finding out, and my home has been on the market four weeks tomorrow.

I'm in TX so back in CA it's only 9am. I'm sure the buyer has the offer, unless his agent couldn't get in touch with him on Sunday. He may have to go back to talk to his lender if he hasn't lost interest with the counter~all I can do is hope.

If it doesn't sell, i'm planning to take it off the market Nov. 1st, and i'll relist in the spring using only one price. I feel i've learned a tough lesson, and hopefully if will be the one and only lesson i'll have to learn.

Will keep you posted. ;o)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Patty, I appreciate you being there for me also. I learned a lot with the old agent and wish I checked things out sooner.

How are things going with your home? Have you had anymore open houses? Is this agent 'doing his job?' Sure hope things are working out well and some interest is being shown in your home. It can be pretty frustrating, as i'm finding out, and my home has been on the market four weeks tomorrow.

This agent doesn't believe in opens, he usually doesn't need to do them. Hopefully we'll be able to sell and will have more luck with him. His new (non licensed) assistant just came to see the house and pick up the new pictures I took over the weekend. Once I get situated I'll post them to see what everyone thinks of the "non floral" look. His old licensed assistant was here last week & took pictures of the master, so that's a plus. He hopes to have fliers ready in the next few days & will be doing it different then the last agent. He's doing a photo page then will have another page with the rest of the info. I also measured the rooms so he'll have that too plus the right age of the house (built in 72, old agent had it listed as 70 yrs old).

I'm in TX so back in CA it's only 9am.

Have you found a new place to buy? After over 6 months of looking, we've finally found our dream home and signed papers yesterday. I can't get excited since we still have to sell this house. We had a hard time figuring out what lot we wanted to build on but decided to go with one that was already spec'd so we can't change anything. I'm hoping that when we go to the design center to see the kitchen cabinet choices the other couple picked that it will be something I like, if not we will back out and build a different model that will not be brick faced like this one and it will have a sun room. Those are the only 2 things we had to bend on. If all goes well I will have my awesome master bedroom with sitting area & jacuzzi! We couldn't afford this model had we not bought something that was spec'd out already.

I'm sure the buyer has the offer, unless his agent couldn't get in touch with him on Sunday. He may have to go back to talk to his lender if he hasn't lost interest with the counter~all I can do is hope.

If it doesn't sell, i'm planning to take it off the market Nov. 1st, and i'll relist in the spring using only one price. I feel i've learned a tough lesson, and hopefully if will be the one and only lesson i'll have to learn.

I'm very hopeful that you can make this deal work. You've gotten much farther than myself or sparksals... We can't even get people in to our houses. To have an offer is awesome. While you know what you have to get for the condo, if you list in the spring, prices may go even lower, then what? My husband had a hard time hearing what our new agent said about price but he knows it's what we'll probably need to do once the agent gets everything in place. Thankfully he was here and heard it from the agent.

If you think this pricing may be hurting you, get rid of it or have him change it to something closer to what you will really accept. Do it asap, so that you don't waste any more time. You also may think to ask him to pull more comps from the area so that you know if things are selling and can see if it had the VRP or a set amount. I know you busted your butt getting it ready, and at one time wondered which place to list, have you thought about it any more if the house might be the better of the 2? Is anything selling in that area?

Here is a link that might be useful: New house

• hobokenkitchen
    16 years ago

patty cakes - I agree with roselvr; do what you need to do with the pricing and keep it on the market through fall.

We don't do range pricing in my market, but it sounds like the lower bit of your range should have been higher, with the lowest price still being an acceptable one for you. I think switching to a single price closer to what you think is reasonable is a good idea at this point as increasing your lower range will look like a price increase to your buyers.

Good luck!

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update:my REA just called to say the interested party did not wish to respond 'at this time'. Can someone dicipher that for me? Does that mean he *is* still interested or no longer interested?

I'm hoping he's going to look at the other units in the complex. There are smaller ones with no upgrades, and more money. I feel it's important for him to see that my unit is move in ready, has upgrades, and that's my reasoning for countering with a price that's closer to the high end. He also may need time to come up with more financing, and doesn't wish to keep me on hold, or give me false hopes.

If he can't afford to up his offer, well, that's just the way it's going to be, and i've lost a buyer. As a buyer he has expectations, and as a seller, so do I. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.............

• lyfia
    16 years ago

To me it means he didn't like your counter and didn't think you'd come to terms as it is now, but didn't want to completely close the door in case you decide to come down in price and then he may still be interested. Ie you do a price drop closer to where this person wants to be.

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

My guess would be that it means if he can find something else that fits his criteria for the price he wants to pay then he won't be coming back to you. If he can't find anything that suits his needs you may be getting a counter offer. Was there a time limit on the amount of time for him to counter offer?

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I think that he probably wants your place so long as it's on his terms, not yours.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

You must have ESP, I was going to ask if you heard anything yet.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

That is a very lousy response..Doesn't want to respond at this time? What the heck does that mean...I'd have your realtor dig a bit deeper into this response so as not to let this drag on...

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A second thought.....the feds decision on sept. 18th could be his reasoning, also. He knows the market is slow, and probably has it figured there's a 100% chance my place won't be seling by then.

Lyfia, I won't drop that low on one offer.

Corodovamom, i'll take my chances. There's a three day time limit on the counter.

Terri, I think you're right on the money! He's aware things have cooled quite a bit in SD, and it's a fact condos sell slower than single family homes. It has to be mutual terms or there's no go.

I don't want to sound smug, but i've worked too damn hard! I've cried, prayed, stayed up all night working, had very little help, spent money I didn't intend to spend, had aching muscles, lost weight AND sleep, and will not give in that easily to a below comps price. I made a very bad judgment call when I decided do do the dual-price thing, and if I have to relist, it will be using a prices closer to what I want the final offer to be. Using Scarlett's line.......so help me God!

• triciae
    16 years ago

To me, it means that's is a total buyer's market & he's feeling zero pressure to make a decision quickly believing that he has time to look around without concern that your place will sell before he's ready to commit.

I'm guessing there are plenty of condos available in the greater-San Diego market for him to choose from. If he's not under any time considerations he'll probably keep looking until he finds a condo he likes at a deal he likes.

I was also wondering if there was a 'drop dead' date on your counteroffer? If not, then he's got even more reason not to rush.

Have you had any other showings?

/t

• berniek
    16 years ago

"I made a very bad judgment call when I decided do do the dual-price thing, and if I have to relist, it will be using a prices closer to what I want the final offer to be."

Don't beat yourself up over it, if it's done right, it works. Read about it from someone who uses it and sells homes "in the range".

Here is a link that might be useful: Home home in the

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Trish - I did not suggest you should drop your price at all, I was only explaining what I thought the guy was thinking as this is exactly what we responded with on an offer we made recently. Meaning if the price dropped we might still be interested, however in our case the comps didn't support the seller's price. It sounds like your comps supports yours.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I don't want to sound smug, but i've worked too damn hard! I've cried, prayed, stayed up all night working, had very little help, spent money I didn't intend to spend, had aching muscles, lost weight AND sleep, and will not give in that easily to a below comps price.

We all have worked our butts off, spent more cash then we wanted to and are losing even more sleep because we found something yet no one is looking.

I made a very bad judgment call when I decided do do the dual-price thing, and if I have to relist, it will be using a prices closer to what I want the final offer to be. Using Scarlett's line.......so help me God!

Talk to your agent, ask if they will give you a new MLS number with the regular pricing. It can be done. This will make Mr low ball wonder what happened to your place until he finds it again.

Tell your agent straight up that his pricing isn't working and that you need it to reflect what you will accept.

• mmmagique
    16 years ago

"lost weight AND sleep" You lost weight?!!! Wow!! I'm a bit envious...

Did the buyer have a certain time to respond to your response?

Honestly, were I you right now, I *might* actually, consider taking it off the market for a bit (maybe a month or two), ditching the rea you have now, doing some research, soul searching, and lots of interviews and finding someone who can/will get the job done for you. Sometimes a break can give you a new perspective.

And, yes, probably the price rangeing thing was not such a great idea for this time. As you said, a lesson learned.

Good luck!

~Christina

• galore2112
    16 years ago

If its only been on the market for 4 weeks or so, why do you even worry so much?

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tricia, no other showings. I agree with the no stress logic, however there are more apartment redos turned condos than actual condo complexes. In the price range he's looking at, that might be what he ends up getting. There's a big difference between walls in a condo and walls in an apartment.

Bernie, i'm doing my best not to think about it. Thanks for the article and i'll go back and read as soon as I post this.

Lyfia, I wasn't sure what you meant. LOL And yes, based on the comps, i'm right in the ballpark. I'm hanging in there!

Sue, I suspect when I return to CA(Sept.15)i'll be calling my agent on Monday to give him the bad news, he may even suspect this is going to happen. Maybe I should wait until I've found an agent? Would it be unethical to interview agents while still having an active listing with another agent? Or would it be best to have the listing 'MIA' for a week or so, and then have a total new listing?

LOL Christina! Not only was I getting my house ready for the market, I had dental surgery!! I've lost 10 lbs over the last 4 months, which ain't that bad. I'm 5'1" and am now back to the 103 lbs. I weighed 5 years ago. I thought at 113 I was looking a little 'chunky'. LOL And no, i'm not skin and bones~i've always been small, but a real workhorse!

jrldh, i've got a house in Austin i'm anxious to build, and need to get my hands on some cash before the prices escalate. With the market as horrible as it is, 4 weeks seems like an eternity! Remember, condos don't sell as quickly as single family homes, which means I won't get as many lookers.

Again, thank you all for your valued opinions, and input. I sometimes think without this forum, and a place to vent, I would be a total wreck! I can't imagine how some of you have mustered the courage to keep on truding along, and not give in and forget about selling. The experience itself can be a bit frustrating at times. Add an agent who you feel isn't doing his job into the equasion, and you start to wonder if you couldn't sell it yourself.

• minet
    16 years ago

Several weeks ago you were trying to decide between selling your condo or the house your ex-husband lives in. I thought you had settled on the SFR, since you thought it would be easier to sell and your ex would be ok with moving into the condo.

Do you still have that option? If you want to sell quickly, perhaps listing the house might be a better way to go? I don't remember why you chose to sell the condo over the house.

Anyway, 4 weeks really isn't a long time in the SoCal market right now, even though it can seem like an eternity. Good luck with this!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Tricia, no other showings. I agree with the no stress logic, however there are more apartment redos turned condos than actual condo complexes. In the price range he's looking at, that might be what he ends up getting. There's a big difference between walls in a condo and walls in an apartment.

As someone that grew up in a 2 family house, I really hope he's happy if that's what he chooses. There's a post on city-data about someone that lives above another person, how the lower floor renter keeps using a broom handle on the ceiling.

Sue, I suspect when I return to CA(Sept.15)i'll be calling my agent on Monday to give him the bad news, he may even suspect this is going to happen. Maybe I should wait until I've found an agent? Would it be unethical to interview agents while still having an active listing with another agent? Or would it be best to have the listing 'MIA' for a week or so, and then have a total new listing?

Depends on who you interview. One broker I emailed mentioned ethics, I told them I was interviewing because I was unhappy, either they were going to see me or not.

You don't have to fire him, you can let him try to correct it with the new MLS / pricing, then wait it out.

Honestly, were I you right now, I *might* actually, consider taking it off the market for a bit (maybe a month or two), ditching the rea you have now, doing some research, soul searching, and lots of interviews and finding someone who can/will get the job done for you. Sometimes a break can give you a new perspective.

I wouldn't take it off that long in this market. The price the other guy offered may be closer to reality when it comes back on.

jrldh, i've got a house in Austin i'm anxious to build, and need to get my hands on some cash before the prices escalate. With the market as horrible as it is, 4 weeks seems like an eternity! Remember, condos don't sell as quickly as single family homes, which means I won't get as many lookers.

Exciting! Have you picked a builder yet?

Several weeks ago you were trying to decide between selling your condo or the house your ex-husband lives in. I thought you had settled on the SFR, since you thought it would be easier to sell and your ex would be ok with moving into the condo.

Do you still have that option? If you want to sell quickly, perhaps listing the house might be a better way to go? I don't remember why you chose to sell the condo over the house

I'd asked too a few posts ago. I would run comps of both areas.