SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skipper1234

We got an offer on our home after it was taken off the market.

Skipper1234
12 years ago

We had our house on the market for about 2 months (during the winter) and we had MANY showings (broke our realtor's record for open house--or so we were told) as well as multiple inquires. We had 2 offers that didn't pan out because the home-buying environment is such that people think they can pick up a fully renovated house for the price of a fixer-upper/foreclosure. We got sick of all of it and pulled our house off the market. We are not desperate to sell, we just wanted to take advantage of the low interest rates and move to an area where we would have a better commute. More than a month after we removed our listing, we received a hand written letter from a couple stating that they would like to buy our house.

It looks legitimate, but I have to admit that we are leery of it because of the creative ways that realtors have of attempting to get us to list with them.

My questions are:

1) If this is a sincere offer, what obligation (if any) do we have to our former listing realtor?

2) If there is no obligation to our former realtor, can we cut out the realtor commissions altogether and just have a real estate lawyer draft the documents for us? That way the buyers can get a great price and we can be happy as well.

I appreciate your feedback!

Comments (6)