Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

What do you NOT spend money on?

18 years ago

As an addendum to Clubm's question about how we spend our money, what are some things you don't spend (much) money on?

For me, I don't buy expensive clothes. If I can snag well-made pieces at the Salvation Army, I'm happy. If I can't, my next stop is TJ Maxx or Marshall's. Any department store purchase must be on sale.

I very rarely eat out unless I'm invited out (Mandarin Chicken Salads from Wendy's don't count, do they?), and I never take vacations. I don't feel deprived about this . . . I love my house and property (in an area where many people come for vacations), and I don't like to leave my animals.

How about you?

Susan

Comments (53)

  • 18 years ago

    clothing, definitely, and jewelry also.

  • 18 years ago

    This one's much easier.

    I don't spend money at the hairdresser (DH has been trimming my hair for over 25 years).

    Don't buy a lot of convenience foods--mostly cook from scratch.

    Only buy clothes when I absolutely have to--and then I get something off the clearance rack.

    Fancy kitchen gadgets/pots, etc. I've got a kitchen full of expensive stuff, but I never buy it. When I want something like that, I enter a contest and attempt to win it for free (doesn't work everytime, but I've got All-Clad, LeCreuset, lots of KitchenAid, a couple of Advantium ovens--all for free).

    Home decor/repairs. DH and I can do most of that work ourselves, and I make my own curtains with cheap fabric ($1-2/yard). I use shower curtain liners for shower curtains--from the dollar store.

    I could go on and on, for this thread--LOL!

  • Related Discussions

    Gaggenau combi steam worth the money? Would you do it again?

    Q

    Comments (3)
    We've had the Gagg Combi for 2 years & would absolutely do it again. It's the most versatile appliance in our kitchen. It not only steams, it bakes, roasts, & gently reheats. It can do great quantities of steamed veggies or a small quantity of baked items for everyday. A standard 13x9 casserole fits nicely. We discovered that we use fewer burners because of the Combi, so if you are getting the 48" range for the burners & small 2nd oven, the Combi should help take care of that. We opted for a 36" range with 6 burners because we have multiple cooks in our family. The range gives us an extra large gas oven; besides the Combi, we also have a Gagg 27" convection oven stacked underneath it. Only you can decide if the price is worth it, but you may be able to reconfigure one or more of your other appliances to free up some funds for the Combi.
    ...See More

    Attention? or Money? what do you think she

    Q

    Comments (15)
    Lindsay Lohan did the GOT MILK ad several years ago before she became one of the "bad girls" I did think of her the minute I saw the E*Trade ad and LMBBO. I was pretty sure there would be a repercussion then, but OMG trying to get $100 Mil in compensation. That is even funnier than the ad. The girl is getting desperate for some form of recognition and fame again. Her problems are her own doing and she is living with the repercussions of the choices she made. Shame because she had a very good career ahead of her until.... LIL
    ...See More

    Saving: (Money, The Planet, Etc) What Do You Do?

    Q

    Comments (31)
    Regarding the cardboard for weed control, you can also use several layers (8 to 10) of newspaper instead. Just be sure to use the newsprint only, not the glossy ads. I actually prefer newspaper over cardboard as you can make holes and plant through it. Cardboard takes MUCH longer to decompose. To prepare a grassy area for gardening, just cut the grass very short then lay down the 8 to 10 layers of newspapers (hose it down so it doesn't blow away) then cover with mulch. If you do this in the fall, it will be wormy and ready by spring for planting. It sure saves digging and sore backs :-) You will be amazed at how much newspaper it will use up. Win-win
    ...See More

    Deck contracting and my money. What to do?

    Q

    Comments (1)
    1) If want to go to court, in most states you can use a small claims court. You pay a very low filing fee and argue the case yourself. 2) Before trying this, check your states rules. Particularly in the more heavily regulates states, there are consumer protection rules for contractors. If the contractor is licensed, they can go after his license. If not, they can go after him for doing work without a license.
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

    Clothes, I buy as cheap as I can. There's very little out there right now that I like anyway. I'm also not a shoe person. I've never understood why women have a thing about buying shoes.

    Don't buy alot of jewelry either. I have to remind myself to put in earrings once in a while so my ears don't grow over the pierced holes.

  • 18 years ago

    I won't buy beer, wine or any liquor.

    I don't buy expensive clothes...(not to say I wouldn't if I had the money)

    There's a big difference between won't and can't

    There are a ton of things I tell myself "NO" to.

    patti

  • 18 years ago

    Eating out

    Movies (in theatres or on rentals)

    Name brand clothes/shoes/purses

  • 18 years ago

    I don't buy many clothes (most are from yard sales), very little jewelry. I don't spend money on manicures, pedicures or any of those sort of things. My haircolor comes from a box which I do myself at home.

  • 18 years ago

    Clothes(buy most of mine the fleamarket)but I did find some jeans at WalMart that fit great so I bought 6 pairs but they were only 15 dollars a pair...White Stag..I have problems finding pants to cover my big butt and still not have humongeous legs....these are perfect,so stocked up.Jewlery,hair cuts,perfume,nails,shoes( I own about 3 pairs that I wear).....I guess I'm a slob! LOL!

  • 18 years ago

    About the only thing I don't/won't spend much $ on is store-bought produce. There are several produce stands nearby that have wonderful, fresh things that are actually cheaper than in the stores. Otherwise, I indulge myself shamelessly, personally on clothes, hair, etc.

  • 18 years ago

    clothes and shoes (most of my clothes are gifts, used, or from Land's End or Target)

    jewelry (other than the earrings that DH has given me)

    manicures, hair products, make-up

    my car (I drive a 1992 Honda Accord)

    hobbies

    fancy hotels when we travel

    food (I cook from scratch most of the time, and we rarely eat out.)

    cell phone (I have a $15/month pre-paid phone, and I never use it.)

    entertainment (movies, CDs, concerts, sports events)

    gifts (We have no kids, and we buy birthday and holiday gifts for only 3 or 4 people)

    church or other charity

    cigarettes (I've never smoked and can't understand why anyone would pay that much money to kill themselves and annoy others, and then complain that they're broke.)

  • 18 years ago

    I'm not one to buy a lot of clothes, most of what I have are clothes that I have had for many years. I replace when things are worn out, and not just because the styles have changed. I can't remember the last time I bought any jewelry. My shoes get replaced as others get worn out, I am not into fancy. My purse is probably a couple of years old now and was a Christmas gift. I don't care that it is black and not a summer colour.

    What Not to Wear would have a heyday at my place, I am sure. ;-)

  • 18 years ago

    fancy clothes
    jewelry
    movies or other entertainment
    personal care ie hair, manicures
    trips-none except to see my DS and family and occasional shopping in the city
    only eat out occasionally
    no cell phone
    vehicles-still driving a 1999 Jeep
    vacations--a recent dental experience cancelled the vacation savings for this year
    I live within my means and I do save money for my future years

  • 18 years ago

    Eating out.....we only eat out or get takeout once a month or less

    Clothes......I do not buy a lot of clothes and the clothes I do buy are not name brand

    Entertainment.....we don't go to movies or shows or clubs or bars (we rent movies instead)

    Drinking/smoking......we don't smoke and only have 1 or 2 drinks a year

    Beauty treatments.....I've never had a manicure, pedicure, massage or spa treatment. My monthly haircut only costs $20

    Jewelry.....I don't wear it

    Pets.....we don't have pets so no expensive vet bills or pet food to buy

    Kids.....we don't have children, so no expenses there

    Vacations....so far, every vacation we have taken has been tacked onto the end of one of Joe's business trips. That way we don't have to pay the airfare (this will change this year since we have a trip to London planned)

    I am sure there is much more!

  • 18 years ago

    I don't spend money on clothes. I bought some socks yesterday...a splurge. All my clothes come from dd'ing at the thrift shop or yard sales.

    I get cheap hair cuts...no manicures or pedicures.

    I don't go to the doctor unless I think death is upon me.

    I don't take vacations. Like you, Susan, I love being home and I hate to leave my animals...plus, I have too many to leave and no one who can take care of 50 possums anyway.

    I don't buy expensive jewelry...but love finding stuff at yard sales...but seldom wear it.

    I don't smoke and the only time I drink is when I eat out and have a margarita once in awhile. One is my limit.

    I don't buy new cars...we buy "one owner" what we refer to as "disposable cars."

    Don't go out to bars, concerts, movies, etc. I am so tired in the evening, I just want to go to bed. We rent movies if we want to see one.

    When I cook, I cook from scratch, but not because I am trying to save money, but because it tastes better. I buy whatever I want to eat...not one to save money there, but tho I eat a lot of beef, I only buy it on sale at certain stores that I like their meat. Plan to buy a calf to raise for the freezer, which will be much more expensive than buying meat, but at least I know what it will be fed, and meat you raise tastes so much better than what you can buy.

    My husband just got a job and his annual wages will increase by 10 X over what he made last year...or more. Plan to spend all of the money we can on the place...house, land, barn. I will still keep most of my habits tho of not spending money on things...like the ones listed above, that I have no interest in.

  • 18 years ago

    I do not spend any money on myself. I do not buy until I have NO CHOICE...

    clothes

    shoes

    manicures & pedicures

    It has been said that I am very tight with a buck!

  • 18 years ago

    Also don't have a/c...don't want it.

    Don't have cable tv. No time to watch tv, and seldom watch more than a couple hours of it a week.

  • 18 years ago

    I have a lot in common with many of the posters.

    No manicures or pedicures
    No cable TV
    No movie rentals (although I do buy them used on eBay occasionally)
    No processed or convenience foods
    No OTC meds
    No prescription meds except for my dog's $$$ arthritis pills
    No finance charge/interest payments on credit cards
    NO SMOKING!!!

    (You'll notice I didn't mention alcohol. I have a wine rack . . . )

  • 18 years ago

    Maid Service! And I wish I had it.

    Gayle

  • 18 years ago

    Health insurance. My retirement from the State of CA pays my Medicare premiums and my secondary insurance. I have no copays when I go to the doctor. My prescription copays are only $5.
    I hardly ever buy clothes because Iowa has such a casual life style compared to CA.

  • 18 years ago

    Restaurants--used to eat out once or twice a week. Rarely eat out now.
    Jewelry--I can't wear metal so no reason to have it.
    Clothing--has to be at least 50% off before I'll shop (which I hate to do anyway).
    Makeup--hate to put it on anymore.
    If I buy canned foods I started buying the store brand instead of the name brand. Publix stuff is really pretty good.

  • 18 years ago

    Cigarettes, neither of us smoke, DH did when I met him but quit nearly 50 years ago.

    Clothing mine is from yard sales and thrift shops or off the clearance rack at Wal Mart. No other clothing places near here, would have to drive 50 to 100 mi. for a variety of clearance racks. lol

    Jewelry, have lots of earrings given to me or bought on sale years ago but seldom remember to wear any and nearly have to repierce my ears when I do put in a pair.

    Hair cuts, DH has cut my hair ever since we got married. I did have a couple of permanents 45 years ago or so, none since.

    No vacations, last one was for a family reunion in 2000 in Ca. and that was probably the last one for DH and I. DD and I are going to Ga next week to care for Gr Grandkids while parents are doing vacation Bible school and something else, but they are sending us gas cards for the trip.

    We usually treat ourselves to eating once maybe once a month.

    Don't go to movies nor rent them, usually can find something on TV to watch. We do splurge on satellite TV because that's all you can get out here in the boonies and DH likes to watch the weather channel when it's hay season, and a few other programs like on the history channel, etc. He doesn't care for movies that much and hurts his eye to watch one for very long.

    We have lived frugally all our life and managed to get along alright.

  • 18 years ago

    I don't buy drinks at restaurants. I can't believe what they charge for a glass of tea and I'm just as happy w/ water. Now, breakfast is a different story! Once I retired and our church got more casual, I spend very little on clothes, and even less on shoes. We don't smoke and DH doesn't golf, but other than that we don't scrimp much. I worked too hard to scrimp now!

  • 18 years ago

    The only vice I have is a carton of cigarettes a month - ya, I started smoking again.

    If I can't find it at a thrift store or salvage store, I don't need it.

    Groceries are items that I might indulge in, like filet mignon, but most of the time I only buy the staples and things on sale.

    I'm not a fashion-conscious person, jewels I have lots of. I DID splurge and buy a Furminator for my dog - one of my BEST purchases - I love the job it does in removing my border collie's loose hair.

    I do spend money on my Grandsons and flying to see them. I have them with me for the next 8 weeks, so won't need to spend travel money.

    Plants are my biggest vice - I spend WAY too much money on plants!!!

  • 18 years ago

    Manicures or pedicures. I color my own toe nails during the warm weather, and my finger nails are short because I dig in the dirt... a lot.
    I don't color my hair and have embraced my salt and pepepr because I've earned it.
    I've cut DH's hair for 18+ years.
    We don't eat out more than 6 times a year. We'd rather have friends over and entertain at home. Our one indulgence is wine....like alisande. We have a really sweet wine cooler. Holds 30 bottles and it's filled most of the time LOL. Neither DH or I drink hard liquor.
    We don't smoke.
    No movies unless we go to the local $2.00 theatre or rent them.
    We do most home improvement projects ourselves. I mentioned that we spend a lot of $$$ on home improvements, but that's just material. It's all sweat equity. We also do our own yardwork, planting, trimmings, pruning, sawing, etc. It's great exercise.
    We don't belong to a gym. I walk 2 miles at lunch every day with co-workers. No cost and sunshine abounds!
    We buy clothes and shoes on sale or at a deep discount.
    Very few convenience foods. I make everything from scratch.
    We grow our own vegetables in the warm months.
    We don't buy bottled water. I take a gallon jug to work and DH fills up his thermos.
    No iced tea mix...sun tea for us.
    We don't buy coffee or tea out. We'll make enough to tote a thermos if we want.
    I make my own potting soil from peat moss, garden soil, and vermiculite.
    I clean my own house because no one does as good a job as me. Seriously. And it's therapeutic. I tell DH that's it's cheaper than therapy.

  • 18 years ago

    jewelry

  • 18 years ago

    Judy's thread about going to the casino made me think of something else I don't do. I've never been to a casino...and I don't buy lottery tickets or scratch offs. Guess I will never be a millionaire. :(

  • 18 years ago

    I don't go to movies or rent them.
    I buy clothes on sale,sometimes wait for 75% off.Otherwise it's thrift shops.
    No manicures or pedicures
    No cigarettes.
    Hardly ever buy convenience foods.
    I don't eat out often but when I do I rarely order a coke or tea. Just water please.
    I clean my own house.
    Haven't gone on vacation in years.I sound very deprived but I am very content where I am with friends and family.

  • 18 years ago

    Clothes - as long as they fit I'll wear them 'til they become ragged. A lot of my t-shirts are swag. I have to be careful before leaving the house to check what's written on them, LOL

    No manicures or pedicures - I paint my toes at home in the summer.

    No lotions and potions or other expensive "beauty" products. I use drugstore make-up and an $5 face wash.

    Alcohol - I can be quite happy in a bar listening to the band with a soda.

    Haven't smoked for 32 years.

    No installation or fix-up costs - DH can do almost anything from tile to drywall,electrical and plumbing and if the part doesn't fit he has been known to make a new one. We only hire for back-breaking, time consuming stuff like roofing or fencing.

    We live with our furniture until it wears out.

    No maid or gardening service. *it shows ;-)*

  • 18 years ago

    Manicures/pedicures

    Cigarettes

    Massages or other spa treatments. Haircuts are different. My hair very difficult to cut & I gladly pay $50/month to someone who's VERY good.

    Entertainment - We do have a Netflix acct. but very rarely go to the theater & we don't buy movies. We don't go to clubs, bars or concerts.

    Lottery tickets, casinos, etc.

    Vehicles - I have a 2000 Buick, bought used. That was a replacement for the 1991 Mitsubishi that was totaled in an accident in 2005. DH was still driving his 1996 truck until he got a company vehicle a couple of years ago.

    Jewelry - DH did buy me some very nice things for Christmas. I do have a few nice pieces that I've accumulated over the years.

    Home improvement - we do everything we can ourselves, from painting to plumbing.

    Cell phones - Thankfully both of us have company phones. If I was only using for personal, I'd have one, but would probably get a pre-paid because I seldom use it for personal calls.

    House cleaning - I do my own.

    Clothes - I do need nice things for work because of my position. I try to find them on sale. I usually find things I like & then keep checking the store for sales. Sometimes you can get good deals on Ebay too.

  • 18 years ago

    No housekeeping service or gardening service. We are the only ones, I swear, on the block that do our own. No manicures or pedicures, I did try a manicure once and wasn't that impressed. We do all our own home improvement projects, including painting which I hate to do but hate to spend the money to have someone else do it.
    Clare

  • 18 years ago

    No manicures, pedicures or expensive haircuts. I get inexpensive haircuts and I cut (buzz) DH's hair and he colors mine.

    With one expection, 7 yrs ago, no brand new cars.

    Don't pay others to do home repairs/maintenance (unless it's beyond our DIY abilities). One exception is the $20 we spend every other week to have the lawn mowed.

    Expensive restaurants only on very rare occassions.

    Never pay full retail for clothes or just about anything else -- I hunt for the best bargain I can find.

    Expensive cleansers. Baking soda and vinegar works fine for most everything.

    Just water usually for me when we eat out, which we've been doing a lot less of overall.

    Bottled water.

    Don't have any expensive hobbies.

  • 18 years ago

    Well, let's see: I don't have expensive hobbies, very rarely ever get a pedicure or manicure, don't spend a lot at all on clothes, we very rarely ever go to the movies, buy most of the books I read used, don't take any medicine except one kind ($10 co-pay a month).

    It's also lucky that two of my favorite colors are rusty and weathered! It saves a lot on home furnishings! LOL

    We are always buying the kids things at ballgames - t-shirts, food, etc. and gas to go to games is costing us a fortune so we've cut back on going quite a bit. We do eat out - a lot more than we should. Not usually expensive meals, but all of it is high!

  • 18 years ago

    If I want something, I buy it. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it. At my age, it's that simple. I have bought almost all of the above at one time or another in my life. The one thing I have never bought, manicure or pedicure. But I'm sure I will someday.

  • 18 years ago

    WOW...I'm shocked. A lot of items mentioned are things that make life enjoyable. I love to spoil myself and my family with nice things.

    I don't spend money on cigarettes, however. DH buys a case of beer now and then, but I don't care for the taste of it....I prefer my Diet Coke.

  • 18 years ago

    Ya know, lucky for DH, I'm really just low maintenance. ;o)

    I've had one manicure in my life, had a gift certificate. I don't like my nails painted and really don't like artificial nails. So it would be a waste to buy something I don't even want.

    I don't drink, so I don't have alcohol expenses.

    I like my natural hair color, even with a few grays. The girl who cuts my hair for $20 does a great job, I'm satisfied. Once in a while, I splurge and have her wash/condition it. LOL. I don't want it styled w/product. So it's not to save $$, I really don't want it.

    I don't wear jewelry, and care more that my clothes are comfortable than fashionable. I buy new clothes, but only when I need it and if I can find a good price. I don't enjoy shopping enough to go when I don't need something, never just "for the fun of it." It's not fun to me.

    I don't have a problem with elbow grease, enjoy the satisfaction of doing household projects ourselves. But I'm not very domestic, I don't have interest in shopping for household things for decoration.

    There is rarely a movie I really want to see, even if it were free.

    My hobby is reading, which can be cheap if I behave. If I could spend a lot of money on a few of my favorite things they would be: books, and hardcover ones, too; coffee house lattes; and lunch out with friends. If I could do those things every day and not go broke I would. I would also take long road trips with no destination in mind. So the only reason I don't is to NOT spend too much money.

  • 18 years ago

    Lots of things but the first thing that came in my head was water. Where I live the water is very good and is free. I only buy water when we go on a trip.

  • 18 years ago

    Redcurls, it depends on what you enjoy. I have done just about all of the opposite of the things above...I've had new cars, lots of nice clothes, spent a fortune on registered horses, traveled anywhere I wanted to go, spent another fortune having a house remodeled. The older I get, the less I want. I love staying home and working in the yard. I remember buying $500 worth of irises one time...and this was back in the '70's...when $500 was a lot of money. I'd do it again if I had the money and wanted to. I sure don't feel deprived or that I have missed out on anything.

  • 18 years ago

    No manicures or pedicures.
    No long distance to call the family by saving by buying a basic cell phone service.
    No hair coloring-let the grey show and now it is white and looks just fine. Hated all the time and money I spent to frost it years ago.
    No movies out. Don't like to sit that long anyhow.

  • 18 years ago

    We're homebodies and take great pleasure in our home and yard, family and pets. We seldom eat out but my husband is fantastic in the kitchen I love it when he cooks.

    My husband cuts his own hair but he uses clippers and there's no way I'm letting him give me a buzz cut. So I go to the hairdresser for hair color once a month and a cut every other. But to economize I leave after the color with wet hair and don't have it blown out and styled. That's my way of compromising.

    Except for the lawn mowing service I do nearly all the landscaping- weeding, mulching, pruning and planting etc. But it is getting harder and it's taking me much longer. Next year I might pay someone to do the spring cleanup.

    No house cleaning crew, no manicures or pedicures. I seldom buy clothing and when I do it's on sale. I'm a great coupon clipper and try to plan my food shopping to take advantage of them.

    We haven't been extravagant but we will spend on quality products of a lasting design. We have purchased art- paintings, Persian rugs, antique clocks, - items that are part of the home furnishings but also unique pieces of art. Over the years my husband has given me many pieces of fine jewelry. Even then we've known the jeweler for over 20 years and pay a modest mark up.

    I had my first part time job when I was 12 and my husband started working when he was 10. We paid our own way through college and graduate schools. We've always lived within our means.

    We don't smoke, seldom drink, don't party or gamble, seldom travel. OMG - we're boring!!!

  • 18 years ago

    Redcurls, I can reiterate what Marilyn said. I, too, had "another life," living in midtown Manhattan. I jokingly call it my Elegant Period. In those days you could find me buying my clothes at Bergdorf's and Bonwit Teller. But at some point after we moved to the country, my interests and priorities shifted. I'll still spend money when I can afford to, but I enjoy spending it on other things: antiques, cameras, roses and other plants, computer equipment . . .

    Without speaking for everyone who posted, I think it's a safe bet to say that most of us aren't suffering. We don't feel we're missing out on anything by not spending our money on the things we listed; they're simply not important to us. But if they're important to you, and you can afford them, go for it!

    PS: I want to go on record as saying that Mcmann is far from boring. Boring people never ever leave the beauty salon with wet hair.

    Susan

  • 18 years ago

    No vacations anymore, because I need to go to kidney dialysis three times a week. I could arrange for dialysis in other cities if I was travelling in the US, but I don't like change. So I stay home. There are Atlantic Ocean beaches an hour away. So I can "get away" if I want to. I like staying home, I like my house and its air conditioning and my computer and my flower garden. I've never smoked and never will. I don't eat a lot but I like fresh fruits and vegetables. The farmers market opens July 16. I quit my job in 2005 so I don't drive nearly as much as I used to, and I don't need to buy lunch anymore. I'm a homebody.

  • 18 years ago

    Clothes, being with lot's of kids all day everyday I tend to ruin everything!

    Jewlery, I have a few favorite pieces and they are not really expensive ones, I was never a jewlery person.

    Books, I buy used when I can...if not I wait until I can!

    Dining out, we don't eat out much anymore. Saves alot of money and keeps the cholesterol down if I control things at home.

    Going to the movies used to be a favorite for us, but we can't justify the cost anymore. We wait for the DVD now!

    The older I get the less I want to go out and spend...just doesn't interest me anymore. With DH's back problems we don't do much anymore. I'd rather have the kids and friends over and enjoy the time with them.

  • 18 years ago

    Lunch - I brown bag it 5 days a week.

    Extended Warranties - with just a few exceptions. We have a 4 line cell phone plan. I pay an extra $4 a month each on the two kids (if you can call 22 & 21 kids. They still live with us). It worked out because both had to be replaced . DW and I are more careful. If you must take one on a major appliance say no initially; you probably have at least a year manufacturers warranty. They will contact you when time's up. Get it then if you're uncomfortable without it.

  • 18 years ago

    We don't spend money on:
    Liquor/tobacco products
    Garbage bags (reuse store bags)
    name brand clothes, shoes, purses
    hairdresser,man/pedicure
    entertainment
    cable
    We travel occasionally to see one kid or the other, but that is once a year or so...
    We like to be home on our pretty property, and we have Princess Posey, the cat who would be queen, for entertainment!

  • 18 years ago

    I don't spend alot of money on:

    expensive clothes or jewelry/accessories
    cable
    salons (I go to cheap places for trims and dye my own hair)
    never had a pedicure (friend bought me a mani once)
    gas (I rarely drive)

    I agree with the alisande and marilyn. It is about what is important to you personally. I would much rather go see some local live music and have dinner and a few drinks with friends than spend my money on cable or a trip to the salon or buying a fancy purse. Everyone has their own preferances on what makes their lives more enjoyable.

  • 18 years ago

    I have to add to others comments who have responded to Redcurls. I am simply not interested in spending money on the things I listed. I am comfortable in my skin and do what I want, not what is expected of me. If I were to suddenly find myself filthy rich "designer" this and that,fancy cars,expensive booze and $300 steak dinners would still not interest me.

    I would probably invest in an old classic muscle car and travel more for a while. I'm a doer,not a poser. Think "old money" attitude versus "noveau riche".

    Everyone places value on different things and that's OK. But one is not necessarily deprived just because they don't spend their money on the expected.

  • 18 years ago

    I won't spend money on:
    -manis and pedis (I'd rather do them myself)
    -yard service (I love to work in the yard!)
    -housecleaning (I do flylady so I have my routine down)
    -hair coloring and highlights (I do my own)
    -massages (had one once and hated it)
    -expensive restaurants (DH and I prefer to go to Happy Hour where we get food from the Happy Hour menu in the bar. No alcohol, we just like the food.)
    -designer anything
    -carpet cleaning (we have our own)
    -books and videos and magazines (we get them free from the library)
    -I cut my DH's and kids' hair

    As for vacations, I am not a good traveler, but I do love vacations now and then. However, we simply haven't had the funds lately to take nice ones. Instead, we have done lots of day trips and weekend trips. My favorite place to be is at home, though.

    I do spend money on:
    -Starbucks. I've tried to give it up many times but it's my little treat on my way home from work.
    -Plants (I love to garden!)
    -clothes, but I am careful. In addition to my preschool teaching job, I work 1-2 nights at an upscale women's clothing store so I get quality clothes at a discount. However, if I didn't work there, I wouldn't hit the mall. I'd go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
    -Air Conditioning. When ours broke, I forked out $600 because I knew I couldn't be without.

    I don't feel deprived.

    Sheryl

  • 18 years ago

    I don't smoke or drink or eat read meat. I buy my clothes at TJMaxx or Marshall's and discovered the Salvation Army where I can get Eddie Bauer, R .Lauren, Gap etc for under 4.99. I carry canvas bags, I go to the library weekly and don't buy books. I read magazines there too. I never had a manicure or pedicure unlike teenage GD who regularly has them for $45..I cut my hair and don't color it. I buy my cat food on sale. I make mini vacations to the Jersey shore since I don't like to leave the cats especially the 19 year old. I DO eat our twice a week and go to the movies w/ the senior rate of $6

  • 18 years ago

    Ostentatious stuff - I know who I am, and don't feel any need to impress anyone.

    Frivolous stuff - when one approaches 80, with a housefull of stuff, (plus garage) one doesn't need more stuff.

    We in North America and Europe have abused our kids and grandkids ...

    ... we ran up huge gov't. debts when times were good, and, while Canada has had a balanced budget for a time, the U.S. is still running huge annual deficits, as well...

    ... we under-funded our pension plans and many are short of funds, plus there are soon to be many more pensioners, and fewer continuing workers to pay into the pension system.

    We've used up precious energy like it's going out of style: it isn't. But what have we found as alternative(s)?

    We've polluted air and water.

    The atmosphere is warming, and whether or not it's a natural change, or we're largely or even slightly responsible ... we can't do anything to alter natural change ... all we can do is alter our actions (and if natural causes are also, or mainly, at work ... altering our actions is the only thing that we can do to alleviate the situation). Some claim that the very continued existence of humankind is close to being at risk: there may be some justification for that claim, distasteful as it may be.

    We've fished out the seas.

    We've paved over high quality farmland ... and are running short of food.

    However, we've chosen to divert substantial quantities of foodstuffs to produce (some say wastefully, inefficiently) ethanol to help fuel our vehicles ... while we've begun to have food riots in several places because the impoverished people can't afford the higher prices. Many of them will be coming here: we can't build a fence high enough to keep them out ... most come by air.

    While prices of goods have been rising in North America and Europe ... wages haven't (for all but the top 1- 2% of the population), so our standard of living is falling.

    But many, refusing to accept this, are borrowing using their value of their houses to continue to live at former levels.

    Question: When they are downsized and forced into early retirement and unable to find comparable employment, with the equity in their homes largely used up ...

    ... how do they plan to finance their retirement?

    We're closing a couple of vegetable and fruit processing plants, plus a soup manufacturer locally, and ripping out peach trees that serviced them.

    Going to bring apples and peach jam (probably soup, also) from China, where stuff can be made cheaply.

    Yeah - using what for fuel to operate the ships? But there'll be shorter voyages to the east coast, using the nearly ice-free North-west passage.

    [[End of rant]]

    I'm getting ready to depart this life ... feeling rather ashamed that we haven't taken better care of this world that God entrusted into our hands.

    I hope that you all have a happy, thoughtful, fruitful week. Offer a smile and a kindness to the people that you...

  • 18 years ago

    For years I have been buying my clothes at a thrift shop.

    Don't drink or smoke (I don't know how the average person can affort to)

    When grocery shopping I only buy what is on sale, when meat is on sale I buy in bulk and freeze it.

    My husband and I are very careful, not because we can't afford to pay full price for things, but we find that everything is so "overpriced".

    The only real splurge I have is every 2 months I have my haira cut and colored at a salon.

  • 18 years ago

    Pajamas. I've never bought myself pajamas, the ones I have were bought for me by my mom. I won't spend money on clothes that I will only sleep in and nobody will see.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions