SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

What do you NOT spend money on?

alisande
15 years ago

As an addendum to Clubm's question about how we spend our money, what are some things you don't spend (much) money on?

For me, I don't buy expensive clothes. If I can snag well-made pieces at the Salvation Army, I'm happy. If I can't, my next stop is TJ Maxx or Marshall's. Any department store purchase must be on sale.

I very rarely eat out unless I'm invited out (Mandarin Chicken Salads from Wendy's don't count, do they?), and I never take vacations. I don't feel deprived about this . . . I love my house and property (in an area where many people come for vacations), and I don't like to leave my animals.

How about you?

Susan

Comments (53)

• bigack
    15 years ago

clothing, definitely, and jewelry also.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

This one's much easier.

I don't spend money at the hairdresser (DH has been trimming my hair for over 25 years).

Don't buy a lot of convenience foods--mostly cook from scratch.

Only buy clothes when I absolutely have to--and then I get something off the clearance rack.

Fancy kitchen gadgets/pots, etc. I've got a kitchen full of expensive stuff, but I never buy it. When I want something like that, I enter a contest and attempt to win it for free (doesn't work everytime, but I've got All-Clad, LeCreuset, lots of KitchenAid, a couple of Advantium ovens--all for free).

Home decor/repairs. DH and I can do most of that work ourselves, and I make my own curtains with cheap fabric ($1-2/yard). I use shower curtain liners for shower curtains--from the dollar store.

I could go on and on, for this thread--LOL!

• Related Discussions

Compare: What You Get for the Money!

Q

Comments (26)
    That's the key. Absolutely, what CAN go wrong, WILL. It's the same with every business. Many years ago, I worked for a SoCal retailer. I had customers who were teachers. They'd finally been able to afford their first home, about an hour's drive from the store. They were so excited to buy their first bare roots, but the yard wouldn't be ready for several weeks and everything was budgeted. I sold them a dozen roses, pots, soil, all they'd need and gave them instructions how to get it all started. Not long afterward, they called reporting things weren't going well. I asked every question I could think of to attempt to diagnose the problem over the phone. I finally asked about the soil they'd been given at the pick-up. One of our loaders put steer manure in their car, though potting soil was clearly written on the pick-up order. All dozen roses were planted in pure steer. Of course I replaced everything for them, without requiring anything be returned. I had paper documentation our employee had made the mistake. They weren't experienced enough, nor had they paid attention that the steer wasn't the right thing, but it was our responsibility to make sure what was loaded into their truck was what they paid for. I felt sorry I couldn't do more for them, but they were thrilled their new roses grew and flowered as beautifully as they had hoped, and the pile of steer came in handy for the new lawn. They remained regulars and I saw them frequently for their new garden needs. "Aftercare" and courtesy are what it's all about. Nearly every source offers virtually identical product (within limits), but it's what the PEOPLE do that makes all the difference. Kim
    ...See More

What do you line your drawers with? What do you do for smells?

Q

Comments (1)
    Sachets just add one stink to another. Clean the drawers with vodka after your stain has cured in. Sitting in the garage made them smell worse as they were not getting use or air circulation. Heat breeds bacteria, which breeds stink, which is what happens when you do not use something and it sits in an unairconditioned environment. Vodka will kill the bacteria. Lots of alcohol in vodka. Use the cheapest brand money can buy and clean your drawers with it a week or so after your stain has cured in. You might have to repeat it in the warm weather. Just like houses that are not occupied, the bathroom begins to smell like the toilet was never flushed, drawers will have bacteria build up and that is where the odor arises. It's called incubation. You are growing a culture, sotaspeak.
    ...See More

What do you do that saves you money AND is kind to nature?

Q

Comments (14)
    Keep advertising flyers printed only one side using typewriter paper to use to write notes, make calculations, etc. The ones written on both sides I save in a grocery bag to put in the recycle bin for fine paper. Got a heavy paper/card flyer, regular office size from a local deli in the mail today - will punch holes in it and use it for subject divider in ring binder. When I get their flyers half that size, glue a store flyer printed one side to them - then can use it to write material that I want to use frequently (e.g. phone numbers, listing of area codes, frequently used web site, e-mail addresses, etc.) on that blank sheet. Newspapers saved in different bundle. Use large sheet of scrap cardboard to build open-top box to organize magazines that I wish to save for future reference, to stand up on bookshelf. Cardboard pie boxes will do the job, as well - but they don't stand alone as well. Need to cover plastic window on inside so doesn't catch on mags with a sheet of (used) printer paper, held in place with a dollop or so of glue. We just had a shot of snow this morning - much earlier than usual. Brrr-r-r-r. With electric baseboard heating (and inadequate insulation in this rented townhouse), I can adjust heat room by room, so keep heat level low in kitchen, where I'm usually moving around. Turned heat up in bathroom yesterday. Keep it rather low in office, as well. Put on winter underwear this morning. When it gets cold I wear a sweater, batting-insulated vest and light jacket. Wear a hat to cover my head (only lightly insulated by hair). Get along O.K. until fingers get cold. My 22 year old Ford van has couple of leaks in roof, small holes in body and major hole in floor. Am getting some body metal, pop rivets to secure pieces that I've cut and shaped, tar to coat the outside under floorboard, fender, etc. and body paste to smooth over new metal to blend in with current body, then can sand and paint. Retrieved several spray cans with a dab of paint left from garbage, a couple of years ago. Several colours - but I plan to use only black and white, thank you. Not really a hard job. Should cost approximately $50. Better than scrapping the vehicle - which looks rather scruffy and some said that I should do four years ago when I did last body job. Takes a lot of materials and energy to build a new vehicle - so I say it's best to run the old ones into the ground. There are some rust spots on the hatch at the back of the 13 year old car, so need to use wire brush in electric drill to clean off rust, then smooth out with body paste, and paint with primer and finish coat. (Don't have right colour paint on hand). If I don't do it soon - I'll have rust holes to deal with. Much more effort required, then. Annual insurance (I don't carry collision coverage, of course) on both costs about 150% of what I paid for the van, 13 years ago. It had around 150,000 mi. on it then - about 190,000 now. Originally used it to deliver corn-fired heating stoves that I used to sell. Anyone know where I can find some hot air? Surely not produced by anyone around here! joyful guy
    ...See More

How much money do you hold back from GC until 'punch list' done?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think enough to finish the job is a good rule of thumb, unless your contract specifies otherwise. This doesn't necessarily protect you against the contractor disappearing anyway, though. As a point of reference, while we've never worked with a GC, we have done two big projects with a structural and HVAC contractor in the last few years. The structural guy wanted final payment after we passed inspection. He got 90% done and then completely disappeared---no final inspection so we still owed him $3K, and he *still* didn't return calls! Took a month to get him back out to tie up loose ends so we could final the permit. Contrast that to the HVAC people, where the contract specified final payment upon completion of work---*before* final inspection, which irked my husband. But the contract also specified that they were required to correct any inspection issues within 30 days of notice, so there was some protection there. So if they disappeared, we would have had some recourse. I actually think I prefer that to the contract with the structural people, which didn't put any timelines on anything. And then there's our cabinetmaker, who has a 30-30-30-10 contract, with the last payment coming after we are "completely satisfied." Ha, hope he knows what he's getting himself into... :)
    ...See More
  • Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

Clothes, I buy as cheap as I can. There's very little out there right now that I like anyway. I'm also not a shoe person. I've never understood why women have a thing about buying shoes.

Don't buy alot of jewelry either. I have to remind myself to put in earrings once in a while so my ears don't grow over the pierced holes.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I won't buy beer, wine or any liquor.

I don't buy expensive clothes...(not to say I wouldn't if I had the money)

There's a big difference between won't and can't

There are a ton of things I tell myself "NO" to.

patti

• okwriter
    15 years ago

Eating out

Movies (in theatres or on rentals)

Name brand clothes/shoes/purses

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I don't buy many clothes (most are from yard sales), very little jewelry. I don't spend money on manicures, pedicures or any of those sort of things. My haircolor comes from a box which I do myself at home.

• chubby_rat
    15 years ago

Clothes(buy most of mine the fleamarket)but I did find some jeans at WalMart that fit great so I bought 6 pairs but they were only 15 dollars a pair...White Stag..I have problems finding pants to cover my big butt and still not have humongeous legs....these are perfect,so stocked up.Jewlery,hair cuts,perfume,nails,shoes( I own about 3 pairs that I wear).....I guess I'm a slob! LOL!

• evatx
    15 years ago

About the only thing I don't/won't spend much $ on is store-bought produce. There are several produce stands nearby that have wonderful, fresh things that are actually cheaper than in the stores. Otherwise, I indulge myself shamelessly, personally on clothes, hair, etc.

• uxorial
    15 years ago

clothes and shoes (most of my clothes are gifts, used, or from Land's End or Target)

jewelry (other than the earrings that DH has given me)

manicures, hair products, make-up

my car (I drive a 1992 Honda Accord)

hobbies

fancy hotels when we travel

food (I cook from scratch most of the time, and we rarely eat out.)

cell phone (I have a $15/month pre-paid phone, and I never use it.)

entertainment (movies, CDs, concerts, sports events)

gifts (We have no kids, and we buy birthday and holiday gifts for only 3 or 4 people)

church or other charity

cigarettes (I've never smoked and can't understand why anyone would pay that much money to kill themselves and annoy others, and then complain that they're broke.)

• heather_on
    15 years ago

I'm not one to buy a lot of clothes, most of what I have are clothes that I have had for many years. I replace when things are worn out, and not just because the styles have changed. I can't remember the last time I bought any jewelry. My shoes get replaced as others get worn out, I am not into fancy. My purse is probably a couple of years old now and was a Christmas gift. I don't care that it is black and not a summer colour.

What Not to Wear would have a heyday at my place, I am sure. ;-)

• joy_va
    15 years ago

fancy clothes
    jewelry
    movies or other entertainment
    personal care ie hair, manicures
    trips-none except to see my DS and family and occasional shopping in the city
    only eat out occasionally
    no cell phone
    vehicles-still driving a 1999 Jeep
    vacations--a recent dental experience cancelled the vacation savings for this year
    I live within my means and I do save money for my future years

• casey_nfld
    15 years ago

Eating out.....we only eat out or get takeout once a month or less

Clothes......I do not buy a lot of clothes and the clothes I do buy are not name brand

Entertainment.....we don't go to movies or shows or clubs or bars (we rent movies instead)

Drinking/smoking......we don't smoke and only have 1 or 2 drinks a year

Beauty treatments.....I've never had a manicure, pedicure, massage or spa treatment. My monthly haircut only costs $20

Jewelry.....I don't wear it

Pets.....we don't have pets so no expensive vet bills or pet food to buy

Kids.....we don't have children, so no expenses there

Vacations....so far, every vacation we have taken has been tacked onto the end of one of Joe's business trips. That way we don't have to pay the airfare (this will change this year since we have a trip to London planned)

I am sure there is much more!

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I don't spend money on clothes. I bought some socks yesterday...a splurge. All my clothes come from dd'ing at the thrift shop or yard sales.

I get cheap hair cuts...no manicures or pedicures.

I don't go to the doctor unless I think death is upon me.

I don't take vacations. Like you, Susan, I love being home and I hate to leave my animals...plus, I have too many to leave and no one who can take care of 50 possums anyway.

I don't buy expensive jewelry...but love finding stuff at yard sales...but seldom wear it.

I don't smoke and the only time I drink is when I eat out and have a margarita once in awhile. One is my limit.

I don't buy new cars...we buy "one owner" what we refer to as "disposable cars."

Don't go out to bars, concerts, movies, etc. I am so tired in the evening, I just want to go to bed. We rent movies if we want to see one.

When I cook, I cook from scratch, but not because I am trying to save money, but because it tastes better. I buy whatever I want to eat...not one to save money there, but tho I eat a lot of beef, I only buy it on sale at certain stores that I like their meat. Plan to buy a calf to raise for the freezer, which will be much more expensive than buying meat, but at least I know what it will be fed, and meat you raise tastes so much better than what you can buy.

My husband just got a job and his annual wages will increase by 10 X over what he made last year...or more. Plan to spend all of the money we can on the place...house, land, barn. I will still keep most of my habits tho of not spending money on things...like the ones listed above, that I have no interest in.

• sooey
    15 years ago

I do not spend any money on myself. I do not buy until I have NO CHOICE...

clothes

shoes

manicures & pedicures

It has been said that I am very tight with a buck!

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Also don't have a/c...don't want it.

Don't have cable tv. No time to watch tv, and seldom watch more than a couple hours of it a week.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a lot in common with many of the posters.

No manicures or pedicures
    No cable TV
    No movie rentals (although I do buy them used on eBay occasionally)
    No processed or convenience foods
    No OTC meds
    No prescription meds except for my dog's $$$ arthritis pills
    No finance charge/interest payments on credit cards
    NO SMOKING!!!

(You'll notice I didn't mention alcohol. I have a wine rack . . . )

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

Maid Service! And I wish I had it.

Gayle

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

Health insurance. My retirement from the State of CA pays my Medicare premiums and my secondary insurance. I have no copays when I go to the doctor. My prescription copays are only $5.
    I hardly ever buy clothes because Iowa has such a casual life style compared to CA.

• patti43
    15 years ago

Restaurants--used to eat out once or twice a week. Rarely eat out now.
    Jewelry--I can't wear metal so no reason to have it.
    Clothing--has to be at least 50% off before I'll shop (which I hate to do anyway).
    Makeup--hate to put it on anymore.
    If I buy canned foods I started buying the store brand instead of the name brand. Publix stuff is really pretty good.

• donna37
    15 years ago

Cigarettes, neither of us smoke, DH did when I met him but quit nearly 50 years ago.

Clothing mine is from yard sales and thrift shops or off the clearance rack at Wal Mart. No other clothing places near here, would have to drive 50 to 100 mi. for a variety of clearance racks. lol

Jewelry, have lots of earrings given to me or bought on sale years ago but seldom remember to wear any and nearly have to repierce my ears when I do put in a pair.

Hair cuts, DH has cut my hair ever since we got married. I did have a couple of permanents 45 years ago or so, none since.

No vacations, last one was for a family reunion in 2000 in Ca. and that was probably the last one for DH and I. DD and I are going to Ga next week to care for Gr Grandkids while parents are doing vacation Bible school and something else, but they are sending us gas cards for the trip.

We usually treat ourselves to eating once maybe once a month.

Don't go to movies nor rent them, usually can find something on TV to watch. We do splurge on satellite TV because that's all you can get out here in the boonies and DH likes to watch the weather channel when it's hay season, and a few other programs like on the history channel, etc. He doesn't care for movies that much and hurts his eye to watch one for very long.

We have lived frugally all our life and managed to get along alright.

• vannie
    15 years ago

I don't buy drinks at restaurants. I can't believe what they charge for a glass of tea and I'm just as happy w/ water. Now, breakfast is a different story! Once I retired and our church got more casual, I spend very little on clothes, and even less on shoes. We don't smoke and DH doesn't golf, but other than that we don't scrimp much. I worked too hard to scrimp now!

• kayjones
    15 years ago

The only vice I have is a carton of cigarettes a month - ya, I started smoking again.

If I can't find it at a thrift store or salvage store, I don't need it.

Groceries are items that I might indulge in, like filet mignon, but most of the time I only buy the staples and things on sale.

I'm not a fashion-conscious person, jewels I have lots of. I DID splurge and buy a Furminator for my dog - one of my BEST purchases - I love the job it does in removing my border collie's loose hair.

I do spend money on my Grandsons and flying to see them. I have them with me for the next 8 weeks, so won't need to spend travel money.

Plants are my biggest vice - I spend WAY too much money on plants!!!

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Manicures or pedicures. I color my own toe nails during the warm weather, and my finger nails are short because I dig in the dirt... a lot.
    I don't color my hair and have embraced my salt and pepepr because I've earned it.
    I've cut DH's hair for 18+ years.
    We don't eat out more than 6 times a year. We'd rather have friends over and entertain at home. Our one indulgence is wine....like alisande. We have a really sweet wine cooler. Holds 30 bottles and it's filled most of the time LOL. Neither DH or I drink hard liquor.
    We don't smoke.
    No movies unless we go to the local $2.00 theatre or rent them.
    We do most home improvement projects ourselves. I mentioned that we spend a lot of $$$ on home improvements, but that's just material. It's all sweat equity. We also do our own yardwork, planting, trimmings, pruning, sawing, etc. It's great exercise.
    We don't belong to a gym. I walk 2 miles at lunch every day with co-workers. No cost and sunshine abounds!
    We buy clothes and shoes on sale or at a deep discount.
    Very few convenience foods. I make everything from scratch.
    We grow our own vegetables in the warm months.
    We don't buy bottled water. I take a gallon jug to work and DH fills up his thermos.
    No iced tea mix...sun tea for us.
    We don't buy coffee or tea out. We'll make enough to tote a thermos if we want.
    I make my own potting soil from peat moss, garden soil, and vermiculite.
    I clean my own house because no one does as good a job as me. Seriously. And it's therapeutic. I tell DH that's it's cheaper than therapy.

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

jewelry

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Judy's thread about going to the casino made me think of something else I don't do. I've never been to a casino...and I don't buy lottery tickets or scratch offs. Guess I will never be a millionaire. :(

• pump_toad
    15 years ago

I don't go to movies or rent them.
    I buy clothes on sale,sometimes wait for 75% off.Otherwise it's thrift shops.
    No manicures or pedicures
    No cigarettes.
    Hardly ever buy convenience foods.
    I don't eat out often but when I do I rarely order a coke or tea. Just water please.
    I clean my own house.
    Haven't gone on vacation in years.I sound very deprived but I am very content where I am with friends and family.

• wildchild
    15 years ago

Clothes - as long as they fit I'll wear them 'til they become ragged. A lot of my t-shirts are swag. I have to be careful before leaving the house to check what's written on them, LOL

No manicures or pedicures - I paint my toes at home in the summer.

No lotions and potions or other expensive "beauty" products. I use drugstore make-up and an $5 face wash.

Alcohol - I can be quite happy in a bar listening to the band with a soda.

Haven't smoked for 32 years.

No installation or fix-up costs - DH can do almost anything from tile to drywall,electrical and plumbing and if the part doesn't fit he has been known to make a new one. We only hire for back-breaking, time consuming stuff like roofing or fencing.

We live with our furniture until it wears out.

No maid or gardening service. *it shows ;-)*

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

Manicures/pedicures

Cigarettes

Massages or other spa treatments. Haircuts are different. My hair very difficult to cut & I gladly pay $50/month to someone who's VERY good.

Entertainment - We do have a Netflix acct. but very rarely go to the theater & we don't buy movies. We don't go to clubs, bars or concerts.

Lottery tickets, casinos, etc.

Vehicles - I have a 2000 Buick, bought used. That was a replacement for the 1991 Mitsubishi that was totaled in an accident in 2005. DH was still driving his 1996 truck until he got a company vehicle a couple of years ago.

Jewelry - DH did buy me some very nice things for Christmas. I do have a few nice pieces that I've accumulated over the years.

Home improvement - we do everything we can ourselves, from painting to plumbing.

Cell phones - Thankfully both of us have company phones. If I was only using for personal, I'd have one, but would probably get a pre-paid because I seldom use it for personal calls.

House cleaning - I do my own.

Clothes - I do need nice things for work because of my position. I try to find them on sale. I usually find things I like & then keep checking the store for sales. Sometimes you can get good deals on Ebay too.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

No housekeeping service or gardening service. We are the only ones, I swear, on the block that do our own. No manicures or pedicures, I did try a manicure once and wasn't that impressed. We do all our own home improvement projects, including painting which I hate to do but hate to spend the money to have someone else do it.
    Clare

• babs77
    15 years ago

No manicures, pedicures or expensive haircuts. I get inexpensive haircuts and I cut (buzz) DH's hair and he colors mine.

With one expection, 7 yrs ago, no brand new cars.

Don't pay others to do home repairs/maintenance (unless it's beyond our DIY abilities). One exception is the $20 we spend every other week to have the lawn mowed.

Expensive restaurants only on very rare occassions.

Never pay full retail for clothes or just about anything else -- I hunt for the best bargain I can find.

Expensive cleansers. Baking soda and vinegar works fine for most everything.

Just water usually for me when we eat out, which we've been doing a lot less of overall.

Bottled water.

Don't have any expensive hobbies.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    15 years ago

Well, let's see: I don't have expensive hobbies, very rarely ever get a pedicure or manicure, don't spend a lot at all on clothes, we very rarely ever go to the movies, buy most of the books I read used, don't take any medicine except one kind ($10 co-pay a month).

It's also lucky that two of my favorite colors are rusty and weathered! It saves a lot on home furnishings! LOL

We are always buying the kids things at ballgames - t-shirts, food, etc. and gas to go to games is costing us a fortune so we've cut back on going quite a bit. We do eat out - a lot more than we should. Not usually expensive meals, but all of it is high!

• workoutlady
    15 years ago

If I want something, I buy it. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it. At my age, it's that simple. I have bought almost all of the above at one time or another in my life. The one thing I have never bought, manicure or pedicure. But I'm sure I will someday.

• redcurls
    15 years ago

WOW...I'm shocked. A lot of items mentioned are things that make life enjoyable. I love to spoil myself and my family with nice things.

I don't spend money on cigarettes, however. DH buys a case of beer now and then, but I don't care for the taste of it....I prefer my Diet Coke.

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

Ya know, lucky for DH, I'm really just low maintenance. ;o)

I've had one manicure in my life, had a gift certificate. I don't like my nails painted and really don't like artificial nails. So it would be a waste to buy something I don't even want.

I don't drink, so I don't have alcohol expenses.

I like my natural hair color, even with a few grays. The girl who cuts my hair for $20 does a great job, I'm satisfied. Once in a while, I splurge and have her wash/condition it. LOL. I don't want it styled w/product. So it's not to save $$, I really don't want it.

I don't wear jewelry, and care more that my clothes are comfortable than fashionable. I buy new clothes, but only when I need it and if I can find a good price. I don't enjoy shopping enough to go when I don't need something, never just "for the fun of it." It's not fun to me.

I don't have a problem with elbow grease, enjoy the satisfaction of doing household projects ourselves. But I'm not very domestic, I don't have interest in shopping for household things for decoration.

There is rarely a movie I really want to see, even if it were free.

My hobby is reading, which can be cheap if I behave. If I could spend a lot of money on a few of my favorite things they would be: books, and hardcover ones, too; coffee house lattes; and lunch out with friends. If I could do those things every day and not go broke I would. I would also take long road trips with no destination in mind. So the only reason I don't is to NOT spend too much money.

• cherbo
    15 years ago

Lots of things but the first thing that came in my head was water. Where I live the water is very good and is free. I only buy water when we go on a trip.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Redcurls, it depends on what you enjoy. I have done just about all of the opposite of the things above...I've had new cars, lots of nice clothes, spent a fortune on registered horses, traveled anywhere I wanted to go, spent another fortune having a house remodeled. The older I get, the less I want. I love staying home and working in the yard. I remember buying $500 worth of irises one time...and this was back in the '70's...when $500 was a lot of money. I'd do it again if I had the money and wanted to. I sure don't feel deprived or that I have missed out on anything.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

No manicures or pedicures.
    No long distance to call the family by saving by buying a basic cell phone service.
    No hair coloring-let the grey show and now it is white and looks just fine. Hated all the time and money I spent to frost it years ago.
    No movies out. Don't like to sit that long anyhow.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

We're homebodies and take great pleasure in our home and yard, family and pets. We seldom eat out but my husband is fantastic in the kitchen I love it when he cooks.

My husband cuts his own hair but he uses clippers and there's no way I'm letting him give me a buzz cut. So I go to the hairdresser for hair color once a month and a cut every other. But to economize I leave after the color with wet hair and don't have it blown out and styled. That's my way of compromising.

Except for the lawn mowing service I do nearly all the landscaping- weeding, mulching, pruning and planting etc. But it is getting harder and it's taking me much longer. Next year I might pay someone to do the spring cleanup.

No house cleaning crew, no manicures or pedicures. I seldom buy clothing and when I do it's on sale. I'm a great coupon clipper and try to plan my food shopping to take advantage of them.

We haven't been extravagant but we will spend on quality products of a lasting design. We have purchased art- paintings, Persian rugs, antique clocks, - items that are part of the home furnishings but also unique pieces of art. Over the years my husband has given me many pieces of fine jewelry. Even then we've known the jeweler for over 20 years and pay a modest mark up.

I had my first part time job when I was 12 and my husband started working when he was 10. We paid our own way through college and graduate schools. We've always lived within our means.

We don't smoke, seldom drink, don't party or gamble, seldom travel. OMG - we're boring!!!

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Redcurls, I can reiterate what Marilyn said. I, too, had "another life," living in midtown Manhattan. I jokingly call it my Elegant Period. In those days you could find me buying my clothes at Bergdorf's and Bonwit Teller. But at some point after we moved to the country, my interests and priorities shifted. I'll still spend money when I can afford to, but I enjoy spending it on other things: antiques, cameras, roses and other plants, computer equipment . . .

Without speaking for everyone who posted, I think it's a safe bet to say that most of us aren't suffering. We don't feel we're missing out on anything by not spending our money on the things we listed; they're simply not important to us. But if they're important to you, and you can afford them, go for it!

PS: I want to go on record as saying that Mcmann is far from boring. Boring people never ever leave the beauty salon with wet hair.

Susan

• jannie
    15 years ago

No vacations anymore, because I need to go to kidney dialysis three times a week. I could arrange for dialysis in other cities if I was travelling in the US, but I don't like change. So I stay home. There are Atlantic Ocean beaches an hour away. So I can "get away" if I want to. I like staying home, I like my house and its air conditioning and my computer and my flower garden. I've never smoked and never will. I don't eat a lot but I like fresh fruits and vegetables. The farmers market opens July 16. I quit my job in 2005 so I don't drive nearly as much as I used to, and I don't need to buy lunch anymore. I'm a homebody.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Clothes, being with lot's of kids all day everyday I tend to ruin everything!

Jewlery, I have a few favorite pieces and they are not really expensive ones, I was never a jewlery person.

Books, I buy used when I can...if not I wait until I can!

Dining out, we don't eat out much anymore. Saves alot of money and keeps the cholesterol down if I control things at home.

Going to the movies used to be a favorite for us, but we can't justify the cost anymore. We wait for the DVD now!

The older I get the less I want to go out and spend...just doesn't interest me anymore. With DH's back problems we don't do much anymore. I'd rather have the kids and friends over and enjoy the time with them.

• softball_80
    15 years ago

Lunch - I brown bag it 5 days a week.

Extended Warranties - with just a few exceptions. We have a 4 line cell phone plan. I pay an extra $4 a month each on the two kids (if you can call 22 & 21 kids. They still live with us). It worked out because both had to be replaced . DW and I are more careful. If you must take one on a major appliance say no initially; you probably have at least a year manufacturers warranty. They will contact you when time's up. Get it then if you're uncomfortable without it.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

We don't spend money on:
    Liquor/tobacco products
    Garbage bags (reuse store bags)
    name brand clothes, shoes, purses
    hairdresser,man/pedicure
    entertainment
    cable
    We travel occasionally to see one kid or the other, but that is once a year or so...
    We like to be home on our pretty property, and we have Princess Posey, the cat who would be queen, for entertainment!

• jennmonkey
    15 years ago

I don't spend alot of money on:

expensive clothes or jewelry/accessories
    cable
    salons (I go to cheap places for trims and dye my own hair)
    never had a pedicure (friend bought me a mani once)
    gas (I rarely drive)

I agree with the alisande and marilyn. It is about what is important to you personally. I would much rather go see some local live music and have dinner and a few drinks with friends than spend my money on cable or a trip to the salon or buying a fancy purse. Everyone has their own preferances on what makes their lives more enjoyable.

• wildchild
    15 years ago

I have to add to others comments who have responded to Redcurls. I am simply not interested in spending money on the things I listed. I am comfortable in my skin and do what I want, not what is expected of me. If I were to suddenly find myself filthy rich "designer" this and that,fancy cars,expensive booze and $300 steak dinners would still not interest me.

I would probably invest in an old classic muscle car and travel more for a while. I'm a doer,not a poser. Think "old money" attitude versus "noveau riche".

Everyone places value on different things and that's OK. But one is not necessarily deprived just because they don't spend their money on the expected.

• intherain
    15 years ago

I won't spend money on:
    -manis and pedis (I'd rather do them myself)
    -yard service (I love to work in the yard!)
    -housecleaning (I do flylady so I have my routine down)
    -hair coloring and highlights (I do my own)
    -massages (had one once and hated it)
    -expensive restaurants (DH and I prefer to go to Happy Hour where we get food from the Happy Hour menu in the bar. No alcohol, we just like the food.)
    -designer anything
    -carpet cleaning (we have our own)
    -books and videos and magazines (we get them free from the library)
    -I cut my DH's and kids' hair

As for vacations, I am not a good traveler, but I do love vacations now and then. However, we simply haven't had the funds lately to take nice ones. Instead, we have done lots of day trips and weekend trips. My favorite place to be is at home, though.

I do spend money on:
    -Starbucks. I've tried to give it up many times but it's my little treat on my way home from work.
    -Plants (I love to garden!)
    -clothes, but I am careful. In addition to my preschool teaching job, I work 1-2 nights at an upscale women's clothing store so I get quality clothes at a discount. However, if I didn't work there, I wouldn't hit the mall. I'd go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
    -Air Conditioning. When ours broke, I forked out $600 because I knew I couldn't be without.

I don't feel deprived.

Sheryl

• Lily316
    15 years ago

I don't smoke or drink or eat read meat. I buy my clothes at TJMaxx or Marshall's and discovered the Salvation Army where I can get Eddie Bauer, R .Lauren, Gap etc for under 4.99. I carry canvas bags, I go to the library weekly and don't buy books. I read magazines there too. I never had a manicure or pedicure unlike teenage GD who regularly has them for $45..I cut my hair and don't color it. I buy my cat food on sale. I make mini vacations to the Jersey shore since I don't like to leave the cats especially the 19 year old. I DO eat our twice a week and go to the movies w/ the senior rate of $6

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Ostentatious stuff - I know who I am, and don't feel any need to impress anyone.

Frivolous stuff - when one approaches 80, with a housefull of stuff, (plus garage) one doesn't need more stuff.

We in North America and Europe have abused our kids and grandkids ...

... we ran up huge gov't. debts when times were good, and, while Canada has had a balanced budget for a time, the U.S. is still running huge annual deficits, as well...

... we under-funded our pension plans and many are short of funds, plus there are soon to be many more pensioners, and fewer continuing workers to pay into the pension system.

We've used up precious energy like it's going out of style: it isn't. But what have we found as alternative(s)?

We've polluted air and water.

The atmosphere is warming, and whether or not it's a natural change, or we're largely or even slightly responsible ... we can't do anything to alter natural change ... all we can do is alter our actions (and if natural causes are also, or mainly, at work ... altering our actions is the only thing that we can do to alleviate the situation). Some claim that the very continued existence of humankind is close to being at risk: there may be some justification for that claim, distasteful as it may be.

We've fished out the seas.

We've paved over high quality farmland ... and are running short of food.

However, we've chosen to divert substantial quantities of foodstuffs to produce (some say wastefully, inefficiently) ethanol to help fuel our vehicles ... while we've begun to have food riots in several places because the impoverished people can't afford the higher prices. Many of them will be coming here: we can't build a fence high enough to keep them out ... most come by air.

While prices of goods have been rising in North America and Europe ... wages haven't (for all but the top 1- 2% of the population), so our standard of living is falling.

But many, refusing to accept this, are borrowing using their value of their houses to continue to live at former levels.

Question: When they are downsized and forced into early retirement and unable to find comparable employment, with the equity in their homes largely used up ...

... how do they plan to finance their retirement?

We're closing a couple of vegetable and fruit processing plants, plus a soup manufacturer locally, and ripping out peach trees that serviced them.

Going to bring apples and peach jam (probably soup, also) from China, where stuff can be made cheaply.

Yeah - using what for fuel to operate the ships? But there'll be shorter voyages to the east coast, using the nearly ice-free North-west passage.

[[End of rant]]

I'm getting ready to depart this life ... feeling rather ashamed that we haven't taken better care of this world that God entrusted into our hands.

I hope that you all have a happy, thoughtful, fruitful week. Offer a smile and a kindness to the people that you...

• enjoyingspring
    15 years ago

For years I have been buying my clothes at a thrift shop.

Don't drink or smoke (I don't know how the average person can affort to)

When grocery shopping I only buy what is on sale, when meat is on sale I buy in bulk and freeze it.

My husband and I are very careful, not because we can't afford to pay full price for things, but we find that everything is so "overpriced".

The only real splurge I have is every 2 months I have my haira cut and colored at a salon.

• Mickey15
    15 years ago

Pajamas. I've never bought myself pajamas, the ones I have were bought for me by my mom. I won't spend money on clothes that I will only sleep in and nobody will see.