SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trex4_14

Buyer wants my crappy Washer / Dryer; what are my obligations?

TRex4.14
11 years ago

We just accepted an offer on our house. The buyer asked to keep several things, including our washer and dryer. They look like nice appliances, (they were nearly $1k each when we bought them 4 yrs ago), but in reality, the washer is a POS lemon that broke down as soon as our 1 yr warranty was up. (Class action lawsuit attempt failed- Kenmore Elite Oasis.) The computer on it malfunctions regularly; we never know when we push the "start" button if it's actually going to work or if we'll have to unplug the machine and wait for it to reset....and sometimes that doesn't even work. When pushing the start button actually works, it does complete a successful wash, so, for this reason (and because I don't want to drop another 1K on a new washer), we've put up with the pain of unplugging it multiple times a week for the last 3 yrs.

Our realtor knew this- we told him when we signed our seller's contract that potential new owners probably wouldn't want it. When we signed the offer contract, we reiterated to him that it was a piece of crap, and did the new owners know that? He said, "Well, they know the house is full of 10 yr old appliances, so it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, they're getting a Home Warranty." (Washer is NOT 10 yrs old.)

What would you do? Go ahead and leave the crappy appliance for the buyers? I feel kind of bad, because they are newlywed kids, so I know they don't have a lot of cash to drop on new appliances. They probably assume, from the looks of the washer, that it's a nice, newer washer. Should I buy them a new, but cheap, washer (leaving a mismatched pair)? Is my only obligation to leave the washer that he asked for, even though it's not perfect?

What would you do? We had to drop our price considerably, so I really don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on a new washer for them. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (13)