SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tauphidelt

Had My First Showing Today

tauphidelt
16 years ago

My house doesn't go into the MLS for another week and the open house is the weekend after that, but I had my first showing today, courtesy of my contractor, who's there knocking out the repair list now that we've moved.

This was someone I knew wanted to look when he came to town (friend of my nieghbor) and is on the exclusion list with my realtor, and he is very handy, so seeing it "as is" at the moment wasn't a huge deal. I just need to find out what he did think of it. Maybe he's so taken with it that he's going to make a wildly extravagent offer, show up with a suitcase full of cash and insist on moving in next week.

(Shush. A girl can dream can't she?)

Comments (18)

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

You just keep dreaming......it can't hurt!
    But i sure hope you're right!
    Kathy G in MI

• happy2bme
    16 years ago

Good luck!!! The waiting game of finally selling really bites.

• Related Discussions

I had a seed snatcher in my garden today

Q

Comments (16)
    I have an embarrassing experience from the other side. There is a store here which has large tubs with the most beautiful flowers growing that I always admire. One day I parked near to take a walk in the neighborhood. I saw some seeds of Pink Salvia, I thot, I should ask - then I thot - oh no one collects seed. Even a woman was walking toward me, and I thot, oh she probably doesn't work there. So I took a couple of seed heads, and Yep, she said, "Please don't pick our flowers,", so I showed her I had seeds, not flowers, and she said, "We collect our seeds", so I apologized profusely and offered her back the seeds, which she said, "keep 'em". So my plan is - I'm going to send her seeds of my red salvia, my blue, and my white, and Yvonne's salvia, and tell her the story of Yvonne's salvia, and of course tell her about WS'ing. Hope this will make up somewhat for my rudeness! Always ask! I just haven't made up my mind if I should sign my name, or be anonymous - I'm still embarrassed. ellen
    ...See More

Had my first mater sandwhich today....

Q

Comments (19)
    I was in the grocery store yesterday in the meat department and got an overwhelming craving for a BLT with a big fat juicy home grown tomato, Hellman's, toasted delicious bread, and crispy bacon. And HUGE. Then I see this posting and I want it even more. Then I see the PHOTOS of those FL maters and I am just dying here. Sprtsguy, you were kind to not post a photo. suddensam, you're a flat out sadist! ;-) I feel like I'm watching the water waiting for it to boil with my little baby toms. I need a trip to Florida for a few weeks. Then I can have my cake and by the time I get back, eat it, too. You all with ripe maters are so lucky and I am envious. I also can't wait for a tomato pie. I need to go to the farmer's market and see what they have in the way of tomatoes this weekend. I'm not gonna make it to July which is when mine will get ripe.
    ...See More

Had my first Brandywine and Cherokee Purple of the season today

Q

Comments (5)
    I prefer the Brandywine, but it is almost like choosing a favorite color. The Brandywines are sharper more-complex tasting, but the Cherokee has a flavor of its own worthy of respect. It is just "different" but enjoyable too. But if I had to grow only one, it would be Brandywine. When my (much later planted) Caspian Pinks and Prudens Purple start to ripen, I will have more different tastes, but Brandywine will still be my favorite.
    ...See More

We had our first showing

Q

Comments (29)
    Our first showing apparently loved everything about the house except that she is afraid of the transmission wires 1/3 of a mile down the road. The electric company has a right of way and there is a line of towers that march from Canada down the state. We can't see them from anywhere on our property, or on the properties between us and the wires, except for the property that butts up on the right of way. The land is hilly and the trees are enormous. We had a second showing yesterday, but we have not heard feedback. The open house is Wednesday. Here's the listing on zillow. If you follow the road going left there are 2 driveways. The right of way is on the left. It actually 1/3 of mile away from us. I guess if this woman loved the house, some else will come along who loves it too and for whom the wires are a non issue. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/129-Schultzville-Rd-Clinton-Corners-NY-12514/30092564_zpid/
    ...See More
  • theroselvr
    16 years ago

You just keep dreaming......it can't hurt!

Dreaming can hurt if it stops her plan to list it while he makes up his mind. I've told the story of my dad's old 2 family house; he bought it new in 1967. I called about 5 painters for estimates (bad nicotine damage), and since dad worked a lot, then became sick in his last years right before retiring, the house had good bones but needed to be updated.

One painter let me know when he came out that he wanted it and proceeded to deal with us while my dad was in the hospital. Once dad got out, we met, they shook hands, he was then going to get some funds, meeting in two weeks to give us a deposit. Then out of the blue disappeared.

When all was said and done, he held us up for 4 months.

My house doesn't go into the MLS for another week and the open house is the weekend after that, but I had my first showing today, courtesy of my contractor, who's there knocking out the repair list now that we've moved.
    This was someone I knew wanted to look when he came to town (friend of my nieghbor) and is on the exclusion list with my realtor, and he is very handy, so seeing it "as is" at the moment wasn't a huge deal.

Hopefully he will show an interest and your house will sell quickly. Even if he does show interest, go ahead with signing the contract to list your house just in case. In hindsight, it's what we should have done.

Thankfully dad's house sold pretty quick once we did list it. Had we listed it sooner, it would have been one less stress on all of us.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, I have a listing agreement with my agent -- I actually thought the open house was going to be this weekend, but with a few extra things to finish now that it's empty (that didn't look so very awful while there was furniture) I'm glad for an extra weekend before it goes live.

I'm not hanging out waiting on this guy. It would be nice, for sure, but he's in the pool with everyone else and it's strictly first-come, first-served. I just hope first-come comes soon! lol

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today was my first official realtor-led showing. The house isn't ready -- the kids' bath is in the middle of being painted and the floor in there needs cleaning desperately. The lady's sister stopped by while we were there working today (goes into MLS tomorrow) and I said they'd have to call the realtor, gave her the number. Half an hour later the realtor calls and says, "I'm showing your house at 5:15 today."

So we cleaned up, hung up the mirror in the bath (realtor warned them), got all the tools/cleaning supplies out, tried to sweep the front porch as best I could but the storm door needs a serious cleaning. Ugh!

We've done so much to get this ready to show but instead of seeing all the wonderful new paint/refinished floors/new carpet, etc., all I can see is every little ding and speck of dust. AND I just found out there's a brand new listing w/in 1/2 mile of me that's almost-identical-yet-better-and-not-that-much-more. (The kind of thing that makes you crazy...! LOL!)

If I'm this stressed before we're even in the MLS, how am I gonna survive? LOL! The one saving grace is that once we do get these last few things done, I can start unpacking the new house, instead of spending all my time at the old one.

• mmmagique
    16 years ago

"I'm showing your house at 5:15 today."

That's a little bossy and presumptuous. I wouldn't want my home shown until it is ready. I probably wouldn't have let the agent in for two reasons; 1. just on principle. I don't expect my agent to dictate to me when my home will be shown. 2. Your first showings will be the best showings. It is when your home is the 'freshest' as far as the market is concerned, so, I want everything as perfect as I can make it.
    Relax, and do the best you can, attempt to accomodate lookers and agents, but not at your own expense. This could be a long drawn-out process (especially if agents insist on showing the home when it is not quite ready.)
    It's no fun having your home on the market, and subject to the whims of others, so, make it as nice as you can without making yourself crazy!

Good luck!

~Christina

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

That's a little bossy and presumptuous. I wouldn't want my home shown until it is ready.

I didn't take it like that. The agent probably called & said she wanted to show the house, they said ok.

I probably wouldn't have let the agent in for two reasons; 1. just on principle. I don't expect my agent to dictate to me when my home will be shown. 2. Your first showings will be the best showings. It is when your home is the 'freshest' as far as the market is concerned, so, I want everything as perfect as I can make it.

In this market you have to show when called, especially if the OP is in the same situation that most of us are. Buyers pass houses over if they can't see them.

Today was my first official realtor-led showing. The house isn't ready -- the kids' bath is in the middle of being painted and the floor in there needs cleaning desperately. The lady's sister stopped by while we were there working today (goes into MLS tomorrow) and I said they'd have to call the realtor, gave her the number. Half an hour later the realtor calls and says, "I'm showing your house at 5:15 today."

So we cleaned up, hung up the mirror in the bath (realtor warned them), got all the tools/cleaning supplies out, tried to sweep the front porch as best I could but the storm door needs a serious cleaning. Ugh!

We've done so much to get this ready to show but instead of seeing all the wonderful new paint/refinished floors/new carpet, etc., all I can see is every little ding and speck of dust. AND I just found out there's a brand new listing w/in 1/2 mile of me that's almost-identical-yet-better-and-not-that-much-more. (The kind of thing that makes you crazy...! LOL!)

Don't stress it. There isn't much traffic in my area but it never fails... every time we do something (last was painted the kitchen for the new counters) we have a showing. We get 24 hours notice (so far anyway) and do the best we can.

When someone walks your house for the 1st time they are mostly concerned with the house itself, condition / layout. Most don't see the little stuff.

Perhaps you need to speak to your agent about the house that was just listed. You may need to adjust your price.

Good luck

• mmmagique
    16 years ago

Hi Rose!

I was just going on what was written "I'm showing your house @ 5:15 today." It does sound presumptuous to me.

Also, I did tell her to attempt to accomodate lookers and rea's but not at the expense of her own family. I did attempt to let most people look at our home at their convenience before ours sold, but, I did have to draw a limit. When I was sick, or when we had other plans, they were given options of other times that would work better for us. No one ever turned us down.

My rea told me that one time she asked a lady if she could show her home at a certain day and time, and the lady agreed. My rea found out later that the woman had cancelled her daughter's birthday party in favor of the showing. = o Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, those folks did not buy the house.

We only looked at the two houses we ended up bidding on once each, so, yes, some of do look at everything the first time. That's why it is so important, if you want to sell quickly in a slow market, to be 'market ready' before you begin marketing your home.

Our home was on the market for a bit over a month, had five showings and an offer very near our asking price. I did do quite a bit of 'staging' before each showing, and attempted to create a certain feel in the home. After looking at others' homes, and how they show them...I knew ours would stand out just for the cleanliness, and the extra touches I added. I did go over-board though, I would spend 3 to 4 hours cleaning and decorating before each showing, and I was ready to DROP. I'm SO glad that's over.

I agree with Rose that you may need to consider lowering the price, or at least be willing to negotiate. Good luck with your showings!

~Christina

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank y'all. The house is vacant, so generally they can show whenever and as often as they'd like. This particular one was all about location, and I suspect the family is trying to get the jump on the MLS system, which is why they were so adamant about seeing it yesterday. My agent tried to get them to wait until today, but they really wanted to see it yesterday. Do I think she should have refused? Heck no.

When someone walks your house for the 1st time they are mostly concerned with the house itself, condition / layout. Most don't see the little stuff.

I keep reminding myself of this, based on all the stuff I'm now "seeing" in my new house that I never noticed. lol

As for the other house on the market, it doesn't have pictures on the listing yet, so I don't know just what "updated kitchen" means. May or may not be as nice as my updated kitchen. ;-) But yes, I'll be talking to my agent later to find out what I can about it. I don't think a price adjustment is in order just yet, but I find the timing unfortunate that we're both newly-listed.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Our last house was shown to a buyer before it was ready and we were still living in it. Our agent said it was perfect for him - a full price contract was signed before the house ever hit the MLS listing. This was in 1999 before the big housing boom. We settled & moved 3 weeks later. We had previously bought another house and were renting it back to those owners who's house was being built out of state. They also moved in 3 weeks. So, always let your house be shown, if possible.
    Good luck!

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

What's your MLS #?

We're in the Vanderlyn district-did you get re-districted or are you staying in your original zone?

The house at the end of the street went up for sale this weekend and I was like, hmm, I wonder if that's tauphidelt? :))

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! Nope, not mine. We're firmly in Kingsley. My hope is that potential buyers on those fringe houses that aren't sure if they will-or-won't stay Vanderlyn might not want to pay $50K more for the same house a mile down the road. ;-) Or have older kids who've all fed into the same place anyway. Not that Kingsley is bad, it's just darn hard to be "not Vanderlyn" around here, as you know.

FMLS is 3594245.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Listing

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Nice house, tauphidelt.

I will be very curious about your kitchen color feedback. That is very, very, VERY green. Your bathroom picture seems crooked. Nothing shows off gleaming hardwood floors like an empty house!

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! I know why the shot was taken from that angle (fridge is gone) and I know what time of day she took it, but the exact quote I made to my realtor this morning was "that shot makes it look more obnoxious than it is." In it's own right it can be strong but that picture does it no favors.

Thanks for the feedback!

• susanjn
    16 years ago

I like the green kitchen.

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

Oh, I so knew it!

You live diagonally across the street from my inlaws, who have lived in their house since 1982. They're at 2478!

Ok, here's your best pool of potential buyers-you are within walking distance to several Jewish synagogues-you really want to market to them because they must walk to temple on saturday.

I would put up some flyers over at Zaban (find a friend who's a member and have them put up one on the bulletin board-I think there's one near the locker room).

I would also put an ad in the Jewish Times and note that it's within walking distance to the synagogues and Zaban. We're presbyterians but we belong to Zaban because it's an *awesome* facility!

Big kitchens are also important to jewish familes that keep kosher because the kitchens have to keep the meat and dairy completely separate. If you have it, mention that the kitchen has lots of storage, etc, or room for expansion.

While apple green is one of my favorite colors, that green is going to turn off a lot of buyers-it won't be expensive to paint it a neutral.

I'd also add a shot of the backyard, here in Atlanta if you don't put one in it's because your backyard is a ravine and homebuyers with kids won't even look at it, and I'm pretty sure your house has a decent back yard, right?

Also, your listing has you on the cul de sac, but you're not actually facing the cul, you're facing Sandell, I think your realtor is being a bit deceptive, there. Might want to put that you're a corner lot on a cul de sac instead.

The house looks great from the outside in person, I was talking to my MIL and I said, hey, your neighbor's up for sale and she was like, yeah, it's a pretty house, it should go fast. She'll crack up when I tell her I "know" you from Gardenweb...

Small world!

• tauphidelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey I was wondering when you were gonna show up.

Yes, our street has gotten very popular due to the JCC and such. We bought it to walk to All Saints, where we're very active. I was a member of the gym at the JCC -- you're right it's a great facility!

As for the listing on the cul-de-sac, it's side entry and the driveway is there, as is the mailbox, although the street address is "Drive" not "Court". It's not as "secluded" as being the next house down, but it does make a difference to having the kids able to play out on the driveway and such and not feel like they're running into traffic. The backyard is all natural and a gentle slope. I know what you mean about ravine -- I got vertigo just looking out the den window at my SIL's house over in Dunwoody Club Forest. I'd be scared to death to let my kids play in her yard. I'll check with the realtor about including a shot of ours.

There's an open house on Sunday; you should go wander through. ;-) Do your inlaws have blue trim on their house? I'm trying to remember which way the street numbers go and which houses haven't turned over lately. The people behind me on the cul-de-sac are the owners of the Blue Fox Salon.

The kitchen has tons of storage. I have a 5'x4' walk-in pantry, and the cabinet space doubled with the remodel. (Which was a complete gut and wasn't even finished when we decided to move. The orginal backsplash was spangly red glasstile, known in my house as the "Vegas Whorehouse Backsplash". Had that actually gone on the wall we would still be there, because you think the green isn't neutral, wasn't nobody gonna buy it with that backsplash! LOL!)

Unfortunately, within the past couple of weeks 2 other traditionals with finished basements have come on the market in Kingsley; fortunately they're both in the $425K+ range. Based on the comps I think we're priced right ... we'll see.

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

OMG "Vegas Whorehouse Backsplash", I'm dyin'!!!!!

Yeah, looking at your numbers I think your house will move.

My inlaw's house is the one with the creek running alongside it, second in. 2 story brick, gray/blueish trim.

Would have posted sooner but Halloween is a three ring whole week circus in my house-our neighborhood takes it VERY seriously :))

Sheesh, 425, you can get a fairly good house in austin or vanderlyn right now, I think you'll do well. I THOUGHT your driveway was on the culdesac-I had to doublecheck the listing to see. I think with the driveway onto the culdesac you can rightly claim it-you're not backing out onto Sandell, which isn't busy anyway.

Good luck-we have soccer games all afternoon at Zaban with the kids but will try and swing by to take a look at it. :)