SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

When settling in to the new place,,,

Nancy in Mich
16 years ago

Please, please, please get a CO detector. Take it out of the box and set it up, too.

Saturday morning at 3:30 ours woke us up. We opened the windows and doors, shut off the furnace, and the numbers went down quickly. We then started smelling gas, so DH got Dad into a wheelchair and out of the house. I went on the porch and called 911, then grabbed leashes and got the three dogs into my car in the driveway. DH went back in for shoes, socks, a coat for himself and down comforters to wrap around Dad.

Fire squad went into the basement, but retreated when their meters measured 60. Our Nighthawk had read 139 when we woke up. Once it cleared more, the firefighters went back in and opened basement windows and it aired out within a half hour. They never measured any gas in the house, but one guy said that some folks can smell the "colorless, odorless" CO.

We knew our furnace was original from 1978. We had it checked last year and it was safe, if not efficient. We planned to replace it as soon as our old house sold...

I was planning to start up the furnace soon during the day so we could air out the burned smell that you get when you first turn it on, then watch the CO alarm after closing the house up again. We had told Dad's caregivers to not turn on the furnace, stick to his space heater for now. But on Friday, the caregiver called in sick and Sis-in-Law stayed with Dad. We never realized she had turned on the furnace, so it was a bit of a surprise to have the CO detector alarming. We never looked at the thermostat to see the furnace was turned on. We also forgot that I had purchased a service agreement last spring when the AC was checked, and I had essentially already paid for the furnace check in the fall! We have just been too busy with a sick dog having surgery last week, Dad's sudden blindness in June, his recent diagnosis of cancer, the main plumbing stack replacement in the old house last week, my blowing out my knee by going up and down from the basement to see what the plumber wanted me to see, planning for some home improvements (that cost less than the furnace) and so on.

Our CO detector saved us. When you move into your new houses, you really don't know what may go wrong, since you were not there doing the preventative maintenance. Be safe and set up smoke alarms and co alarms where ever recommended.

Comments (9)