SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Oh NO! Why me? New bathroom wall 'settled' (?) and tile cracked!

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I just can't believe this.... after all the trouble we have had with this bathroom..... this morning I found a hairline crack right through some of the glass tile in our gorgeous shower.

A few months ago I'd noticed that the new drywall in the adjacent closet had cracked along a seam. I immediately checked the bathroom but it was fine (at that time.)

This is a 9-moth old bath reno in an addition that was built in 1990. It's not over the basement, like the rest of the house, but on foundation walls that presumably go down deep enough (they did pull a permit, but some of the other work is so shoddy you never know.) The builder back-filled all the dirt, and when we did this reno -which was precipitated by a huge mold problem caused by plumbing run in exterior walls that had frozen!- we had to excavate out the dirt, because it was literally inches below the floor joists in the "crawl space"! Anyway.... we also had to replace the floor joists under the bathroom and adjacent closets, and the subfloor, flooring, etc. I'm theorizing that either a) the joists shrank or expanded or whatever just enough to cause the crack or, more worrisome, b) there's just so much movement in the whole wing of the house that it's always going to move when seasons change. Argh!!!

What do you think??????????

And, can I just stiff some grout or sealer or something along the crack to keep moisture from seeping in? I can't have another mold issue!!! It's just a hairline crack, horizontal, maybe 9" long, that runs along a grout line, then through the CENTER of a few glass tiles, and up to the next grout line.

Oh my goodness, I am sooooooo discouraged. This house is trying to kill me I think.

Stacey

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath