SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

cracked bathroom tile with heat mat

rileysmom17
16 years ago

My house was built in 1992, with vinyl floors in kitchen and bath. I had one upstairs bath floor replaced with tile, wide (about 3/8") grout joint with sanded grout. The tiles are 4 x 4 porcelain, technically 'wall tile' but sold for 'light use on floors'. The floor has a heating mat underneath (awesome). The guy who installed it has 30+ years' experience, did all the work on my previous house, and I saw him screw down the cementboard at every mark. He also smeared thinset on the floor and on the back of the tile both. Despite this I got two hairline cracks (this is an L shape area, one across each side), one I think caused by the plumber cinching the toilet down on a penny to level it. Initially they were non-displaced and thus invisible to others, but now I am getting a slight but noticeable lip, which I guess will progress. I also replaced the tub and the 'low' side of the crack is on the tub side, plus the grout between the floor and the tile cove base has separated from the floor near the tub, so possibly I can blame late settling?

Anyway, I can't just replace these tiles because it will be impossible to get them up without compromising the heating mat.

Any idea why this is happening? do you think it is cracking at a seam in the cement board? and how can I get a cosmetically OK repair?

Comments (5)