SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Best / most charming place(s) to visit in New England?

IdaClaire
4 years ago

Y'know - it's entirely possible I've posed this question in the past, but I can't recall for sure and don't even know when that would have been, so bear with me here. My mother and I have been planning a trip to England in 2020, returning to the wonderfully wonky medieval town of Lavenham in Suffolk, where we've been a couple of times before. Mom will be 80 then and her mobility has declined, so our thought has been to stay in a wonderful cottage that we've already found, and just spend time there in the small town "living like the locals do", more or less. We have a few friends in the area as well, so it would be nice to see them.

Well - Mom recently spent time with a friend who is going to New England with HER daughter, which started both of my parents thinking that perhaps Mom and I should look into NEW England for 2020 instead of OLD England. We have gone to England and other parts of the UK together numerous times, and it's always been "our special thing", but have never visited New England. My recent trip to New York City really surprised me, in that I fell instantly in love with that place, and while my mother and I would likely not go there, it has made me realize that there are surely many places in the northeast that I would enjoy visiting just as much.

Now ... all of this said, if Mom and I WERE to start looking into a week-long (let's say 7 to 10 day) girl's trip to New England for next year, where are the best places to consider? We love charming, old places. The more charm, the better. Anything that would remind us of Old England would be lovely. I'm sure the coastal areas are gorgeous. And time of year ... not sure, but probably late spring to early summer. We would prefer to stay in a self-catering cottage where we can prepare our own meals, and of course, the cuter the better. We would rent a car and drive around seeing the sights.

Is that enough information to go on in order to ask for some area recommendations?

Comments (29)