SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

November Block Lotto Sign Up

woodenzoo
15 years ago

We are getting close to the holidays and I'm sure many of us are going to be busy with quilting and sewing gifts and celebrating with family and friends, so unless there is enough interest, this will be our last lotto for the year.

In keeping with those thoughts, I've chosen a very simple block for this month, but it will be a little different from what we usually do, because we will be making PAIRS. Don't let the word 'PAIRS' scare you, because this block is so easy! It will be a cinch to fit in time for these before the holiday preparations.

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 PAIR (two blocks) to 3 PAIRS (6 blocks). For each PAIR of blocks you send, your name will be entered once per PAIR.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, along with your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks!

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner.

This month's winner will be drawn on December 1st.

This month's block is the Double Four Patch. This is such a simple block that many overlook it. It lends itself to many different layout patterns and reminds me a bit of an Irish Chain Block, a very old and traditional look, and so all quilters - new and experienced  should enjoy this block.

I think we will follow the guidelines regarding size (8 1/2" unfinished) and color (blue and WOW) that worked out so well for those at about.com.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Four Patch

Comments (67)

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- ?
    3.Solstice- 1
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2?
    6.Woodenzoo- 1-2
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 1
    11.Wynative- 1

Marie, you have mail. :)
    Cathy

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

Is it too late to sign up? This is my first block lotto....I am fairly new to quilting but have found that it is soo calming!

If it is not too late, I would like to sign up for 2 pairs.

• Related Discussions

February Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (54)
    1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received) 2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received) 3. Patti60 -3 (Received) 4. Woodenzoo -1 (here) 5. Calliope -3 (Received) 6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received) 7. Magothyrivergirl -3 8. Solstice98 -3 (Received) 9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received) 10.Itsmesuzq -3 11.Micyrey -3 (Received) 12.Wynative -1 13.Judylee59 -3 Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (76)
    1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received) 2. Polardream - 2 (Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received) 4. Mary_c - 3 (Received) 5. Caroline1947 - 3 6. Cziga - 2 (Received) 7. Poldiceann - 2-3 8. Micyrey - 3 (Received) 9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here) 10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received) 11.Patti60 - 2 (Received) 12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received) 13.Wynative - 2 14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received) 15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received) 16.Calliope - 2 (Received) 17.Agoldencomet - 2 Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks! Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

October Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (84)
    1. Vicky4x4- 2 (Received) 2. Calliope- 3 (Received) 3. Polardream- 3 (Received) 4. Patti60- 2 (Received) 5. Solstice98- 1 6. Shannonmomof4- 2 (Received) 7. Judylee59- 1 (Received) 8. Alabamajanet- 2 9. Woodenzoo- 1 (here) Bonnie nmi- 3 Stitches- 3 (Received) Caroline1947- 3 (Received) Wynative- 2 (Received) Bopeep- 2 (Received) Froggyquilter- 2 (Received) Duchess_of_quilt- 2 Robin1962-2008- 3 As of today, 26 blocks have made their way here! I do hope that everyone's blocks get here on time. I'm getting so excited! I can't wait to see who wins! Kate, I was hoping for the exact same thing, but it ain't happening here either. :( Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. I'll let you know when it arrives. Cathy
    ...See More

September's Lotto Block sign up here

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello friends.........I've not been around the forums much in the last two days. I have noted all the messages and will do the drawing with what is here at midnight tomorrow night. Thank you for participating. I had to bid adieu to my last kitty of the household today, and have had to go through it now four times in as many weeks, each one from a different diagnosis. I am numb as this one was not expected, when she succumbed to FIP, after having lived with feleuk for eleven years. I shall be posting October's Quilt lotto block directly and this shall be the last one I'll be hostesses for, handing the baton back to Cathy (woodenzoo) for the November Lotto. You all have been lovely, and it was a priveledge to be part of it and I'll be participating in them, even though I won't be managing them. Good luck to all tomorrow.
    ...See More
  • calliope
    15 years ago

Cathy.........you can change my ? to three pairs of blocks. Nearly finished with them, and shall have them posted tomorrow or monday. Fun pattern. I shall have to add this to the list of quilts I intend to do.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3
    3.Solstice- 1
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2?
    6.Woodenzoo- 1-2
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 1
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

Gordon, it's not to late! I've added you to the list and have sent you an e-mail.
    Calliope, I updated your info. Since you are nearly done with them and are making 3 pairs, I take it they are as easy as they seem?
    Hopefully, I'll get mine started this weekend!
    Cathy

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

Great!! I was telling my mother about it and she wants to try it also...I need to set her up an account in here first. Will do that tomorrow.

Question....I found a dark blue in my stash...would that work or should it be lighter? More like true blue?
    Thanks!!

• calliope
    15 years ago

Gosh I hope dark blue works.....one of my pair is a dark blue calico, and I like it the bestest. The pictures on flicker of this pattern done in blues runs the gamut. And the variety is wonderful. It puts me in mind of Delft.

Yes, Cathy, it's easy. And fun. A block goes together in about fifteen minutes after it has been cut. But then again, I took some gift money my DH gave me and spent some of it on templates and I am such a happy camper. They allow you to square up your blocks, and with any pattern with points, it sure makes life easy.

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

Here is another question..... I have always washed fabric before using it for anything...I heard that some people do not. Is washing the fabric okay? I would hate to have shrinkage or bleeding.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My thoughts on a 'true blue' are that it is BLUE. A true blue will not have a greenish, aqua, turquoise or purple (or any other color) tint to it. You have a navy, royal, sky blue and pastel (and others that aren't coming to mind right now :) ) blue and they are all true blues. Then you get some that have just a hint at a green (or other color) that would work here too. I really just want to stay away from other colors that hint at blue. LOL I hope that makes sense!
    So, yes, if your darker fabric is a 'true blue' or with just a hint of another color, it should work out great.

Calliope, good to hear it does go together easily! I just picked up a lighter shade of blue and will make one pair with it and one pair with a darker rose [flower] print I have on hand.

As to washing fabric, I know that many are big fans of pre-washing, but I'll warn everyone, I do not do so. I don't have the time for it and all it entails.
    How does everyone else feel? Shall we limit it to only pre-washed fabric? I'll go with majority rules.

Cathy

• calliope
    15 years ago

I do not prewash my fabric, either, Cathy unless there is a valid reason for doing it (like finding the cat laying on it before I get it up to the sewing room) or a fabric like flannel I KNOW will shrink. If one is concerned about dyes bleeding, then they have the option of soaking out their blocks before putting them together or using a dye catcher. Just MHO. And I'm not nearly as experienced as many on this forum. I'll go with the group consensus.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Cathy,

Mine are in the mail. My blue is blue, my WOW is actually white on white, so I'm feeling pretty good about the blocks.

Mine were one washed (the white) and one possibly washed (the blue). I don't prewash as many fabrics as I used to. I do know that my blue doesn't bleed, as I have used it in many Quilts of Valor, and haven't had a problem.

They're done, they're sent. Dyecatchers are awesome. I do not prewash either, and I'm never going to again.

• polardream
    15 years ago

I finished 2 sets last night so I increased my quantity. I will mail tomorrow.

Sue

• polardream
    15 years ago

I finished 2 sets last night so I increased my quantity. I will mail tomorrow.

Sue

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3
    3.Solstice- 1
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2?
    6.Woodenzoo- 1-2
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 2
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

Sue, I updated your info and will keep an eye out for them in addition to Caliope's and Mary's.
    I suppose the pre-washing wasn't as big a deal as I thought it might be. :) So fabrics do not need to be pre-washed.
    Cathy

• patti60
    15 years ago

i finished my 2 sets yesterday and will mail tommoro.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3
    3.Solstice- 1
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2?
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 2
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

They were easy to do! lol I actually got mine done in just a few hours on Sunday. I think that's record time for me!
    Mary, I received your blocks today.
    Patti, I'll be keeping an eye out for yours.
    Cathy

• cziga
    15 years ago

Well I'll definitely be sending at least 1 pair. I finished the first set today. I really like the colour choice, it is quite smart looking! I'll see if I can get another pair done before I have to mail them off.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I sat down to make one set last night after spending the day at Disney. I didn't expect to get more than one done but they went so quick and easy that I completed three sets! So please change me from a 1 to a 3. They are going in the mail today.

The blues are pretty (some light, some dark, but all definitely 'blue') and the white-on-white is a rose pattern I really like, so I love the way the blocks turned out. Hope everyone has as much fun with this pattern as I had!

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 2
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

Calliope, your blocks are here. Thanks!
    Cathleen, good to see that you are definitely joining us this month! ;)
    Kate, I changed you to 3. They do go together quickly!
    I'll be on the lookout for packages.
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3
    4.Patti60- 2
    5.Cziga- 1-2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    10.Polardream- 2 (Received)
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

Sue, your blocks arrived today. Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 1-2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2

Two pairs just arrived today from Patti60! Thanks Patti!
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cathy, don't you have mine yet? They were mailed on the 6th!!!

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate, I just double-checked, and no, I haven't received yours yet. Perhaps it will come today, but yeah, I would think it should be here by now too.
    Cathy

• cziga
    15 years ago

Cathy,
    I have 2 pairs completed and in the mail to you as of today. Hope they get there quickly :)

• alabamajanet
    15 years ago

Cathy, please sign me up for 3 pair. I'll try to get them mailed tomorrow.

Jant

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 2-3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    13.Alabamajanet- 3

Guess what came in the mail today, Kate? LOL I think the post office did that on purpose! ;)
    Janet, good to see you join us! I'll be keeping an eye out for yours and Cathleen's blocks and post when I receive them. Thanks!
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Yea! Thanks for letting me know!

• bopeep
    15 years ago

Cathy, I mailed mine yesterday.
    bopeep

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I have one set done and I plan to mail out tomorrow or Monday.

Vicky

Very easy block and looks GREAT!

• alabamajanet
    15 years ago

Cathy, I mailed out my blocks and just realized when I got home that I forgot to put my dollar in with it. Would you like me to send it in an envelop tomorrow? I'm such a scatterbrain sometimes. Duh!

Janet

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

Cathy,

Will you please re-send your address to me. I think I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders.

Vicky

• Nancy Morris
    15 years ago

My 3 pairs went in the mail today.
    Nancy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    13.Alabamajanet- 3

LOL The mailing rush is on! ;)

Janet and Vicky, you've got mail!

Nancy, I updated the info.

Thanks everyone, for letting me know they've been sent!
    I'll keep my eyes open and will update as they get here. :)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    13.Alabamajanet- 3

Your package arrived Bopeep! Thanks!
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

My two sets went out in the mail today. Everyone here agrees that this one would be especially nice to win. The blocks were just so nice and easy! I tried to talk my son into making this quilt (he's starting one after Christmas) But he has his heart set on the Irish Chain.

Vicky

• calliope
    15 years ago

I liked it so well, I started a quilt top in this pattern in blues on yellow. It took me eight days, at approximately two hours a day and I sewed the last seam today. It's for an old antique iron bed and I needed it large to drape down farther than usual for a full-size, so ended up making it 96 X 96. It was a fun quilt top to make and it turned out nicely. I'll see if I can take a sneak preview pic of it tomorrow, because I may not get around to quilting it until after the holidays.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Cathy, here is the double four patch I finished up last night. Approximate time start to finish on the piecework and cutting, sixteen hours. I doubled the size of the block. It needs sandwiched and finished, of course, and is wrinkled, as I had it folded and didn't want to iron it again. It was fun.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! I like the large size, too. With some clever matching and maybe a little sashing it could be interesting to mix the size we made for the lotto with some larger blocks.

• calliope
    15 years ago

I have to work at getting over my compulsiveness on avoiding mix-matching quilt blocks. You'll see I placed two pairs of like fabric blocks together to get a four block piece, and whomever wins the block lotto won't have a bunch of identical pairs.........but mixing the blocks should be even neater. I made these large to trial-run the pattern, and because I have need a a quilt out of blue and yellow to go in a room I am shall be redecorating. Now that I know it's something I enjoy doing, I hope to make more double four patch quilts with the 8", smaller block.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3 (Received)
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    13.Alabamajanet- 3 (Received)

Nancy and Janet, your blocks are here! Thanks!

Calliope, that is really pretty! You did a great job with it! One thing they say about this block is that there are many different layouts you can create using it.
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Cathy -

Please add me to the list. I have two sets made and hope to complete a third before mailing them out later this week. I love this block, including the color combo. Calliope - your larger block quilt is awesome.

Bonnie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2 (Received)
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3 (Received)
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    11.Wynative- 1
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    14.Bonnie_nmi- 2-3

Vicky, your envelope arrived this afternoon! Thanks!
    Bonnie, welcome aboard! ;)
    Cathy

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

I figured out what I was doing wrong....shouldn't start something late at night!! My blocks will be in the mail by the weekend. This has been fun!!

• wynative
    15 years ago

I mailed mine today :)
    Marie

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Cathy - I mailed three sets today. I'm thinking I'd like to make a small quilt using just one white fabric and one blue fabric. I may cut the strips and blocks and just keep them by my machine for beginning and ending work. I've never made a two-color quilt, and I think this would be good for that. However, I'm still so swamped with Ufo's that I don't want to be entered in this month's drawing either. I'm not being particularly noble, but rather protecting myself from piling up so many projects that I get discouraged. I won the cute ladybug blocks in July - and that was the first time I had entered the lotto. It just seems fair to continue to participate to help keep the numbers up for the others who are in. When I can post pictures of two finished birthday quilts from September 2007 plus the ladybug quilt, I'll get back in the lotto game full swing.

Bonnie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2 (Received)
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2 (Received)
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3 (Received)
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    11.Wynative- 1 (Received)
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    14.Bonnie_nmi- 3

Two more packages arrived yesterday. Thanks Cathleen and Marie!
    Linda, glad to hear you got it worked out and that you had fun with it!
    Bonnie, while I understand, that's still so sweet of you to do! Looking forward to seeing those pictures of the finished quilts and your full participation once again!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2 (Received)
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2 (Received)
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3 (Received)
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    12.Gordon43812- 2
    14.Bonnie_nmi- 3 (Received)

Just updating the list. Thanks Bonnie! Your blocks arrived.
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

WOW! This is going to make a nice quilt!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1.Vicky- 2 (Received)
    2.Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3.Solstice- 3 (Received)
    4.Patti60- 2 (Received)
    5.Cziga- 2 (Received)
    6.Woodenzoo- 2 (here)
    7.Stitches- 3 (Received)
    8.Mary_c- 2 (Received)
    9.Bopeep- 1 (Received)
    12.Alabamajanet- 3 (Received)
    13.Bonnie_nmi- 3 (Received)

Linda (Gordon43812) has had to back out for this month.

Since all blocks are here, I'll get things ready for the drawing and announce the winner Sunday evening.
    Unless anyone has any objections ;)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished piecing my son's lap quilt and thought you guys might like to see it. I asked him what colors he wanted and he picked green and black. I then had him pick out the fabrics from my stash. I really wanted to add a lighter color and I have the ivy print on white also, but no, he wanted only the green and black. I think his way turned out better than mine would have! ;) It's about 40"X48" and just the right size for him while sitting at his computer.

I want to use this dark green thread to quilt it with and would love to do an ivy leaf/vine all over, but who am I kidding? I think the best thing I can do is stitch in the ditch or perhaps in diagonals. I don't want to take the chance of messing it up. I'd love to send it out, but doubt I could afford it and need it done soon anyway. I don't have enough of the ivy print left, so I'll probably back it in black and use the backing for the binding.
    Cathy

• calliope
    15 years ago

Cathy, I absolutely love that. It's amazing how some things turn out so much better than we expect when we start thinking outside of the box of comfort we'd normally use. It's almost an act of faith to work in scrappies too, when we are so used to combining monochromes and complimentaries, and solids with patterns, and then all of the sudden start throwing them all in a bag and using the first one out when you grab for a piece.

I am starting a new quilt top now, a spiderweb scrappy, and not using any rhyme or reason to what strip I use next. It's very wonky, but I'm loving it.

You son is going to love that, too.