SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

February Block Lotto Sign Up

woodenzoo
15 years ago

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, please remember to put your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks.

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner. Blocks must arrive by Feb. 28 (Sat.) to be eligible in the drawing.

The winner will be drawn and announced on March 1st.

Now for the details...

By request, this month's block is the Mini Bow Tie. This is an easy 12" finished block and makes a very interesting quilt! Let's do scrappy with whites and/or neutrals.

On another note, I know that some members on the forum like to track where their birthday blocks come from. I thought it would be fun, so I have started a block lotto map for us to add our locations. It is open to everyone that plays the lotto and you only need to add your location once.

http://woodenzooquilts.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Bow Tie

Comments (54)

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1

I should have been more clear in my description. Color 1 would all be the same fabric. So there will be four different colors plus the white or neutral which would be the same fabric throughout the block. If one is making more than one block, they may change colors and use a white or another neutral than in their first block. This will give us the scrappy look. Hope that makes sense.

Mag, Welcome aboard! I'll wait to hear back from you before I add you to the above list as you requested.
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy - thanks for the clarification - That's the way I thought it was to begin with, but then I looked up scrappy again & reading Bonnie Hunter (overload) I thought just maybe you wanted really, really scrappy! Thanks again.

• Related Discussions

March Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (41)
    i signed up first but looks like i'm the last to mail. this last month has been something else. we moved my mom into a retirment place really nice. most was on me. my family helped where they could. put my mom's condo up for sale and it got flooded. was the fault of the people above her. a real mess a lot lost carpet, cabnits, flooring. bathroom, hall, living room and kitchen. will have mine in the mail monday. so sorry to be last.
    ...See More

April-May Paper Pieced Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (29)
    Petalpatsy - 1 (Received) Magothyrivergirl - Calliope - 2 (Received) Woodenzoo - 1 Lafonda_ranch - Tuppermom - Kay_in_pa - 1 Last weekend was a bear! I'll get started on it today while it's too hot and sunny for me to work out in the yard. It really doesn't look that time consuming and I think I'll be able to get it done quickly. How is everyone else coming along with this one? Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (76)
    1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received) 2. Polardream - 2 (Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received) 4. Mary_c - 3 (Received) 5. Caroline1947 - 3 6. Cziga - 2 (Received) 7. Poldiceann - 2-3 8. Micyrey - 3 (Received) 9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here) 10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received) 11.Patti60 - 2 (Received) 12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received) 13.Wynative - 2 14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received) 15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received) 16.Calliope - 2 (Received) 17.Agoldencomet - 2 Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks! Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

May Lotto Block Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (38)
    I have the same situation Mary. I have had mail go faster to England than across the same state to a friend I correspond with. I hosted the lotto for a while when Woodenzoo was taking a little hiatus and know we have some strict guidelines as to having the pieces arrive by the end of the month. But, that being said if they do arrive tomorrow and the postmark shows they were mailed that long ago, I certainly wouldn't object to waiting until the post arrives tomorrow to pull names. That's a lot of work and effort to have it mucked up by the mails.
    ...See More
  • calliope
    15 years ago

I googled pictures of different quilts in the bow tie pattern last night, and the scrappy ones were really neat. The ones with some variation in the background, especially. I am in for three, as usual. LOL.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3

Ah, yes, Bonnie Hunter...
    We'll be doing some of her blocks within the next few months. (In fact, the first one will be in March!)
    Mag, please let me know when you want me to add you to the list. ;)
    Calliope, I agree that varying the background fabrics gives a nice shading or mottled look that I think goes so well in a scrappy quilt.
    Oh, and you all don't forget to add your names to the map!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Block Lotto Map

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

Count me in on this one - put me down for two - have not done this one before so it will be fun to try.

• salijo
    15 years ago

I'm with Mag...I have some birthday blocks to complete, but if I can get them finished, then I'm in for the February Block Lotto. I can use all the experience I can get....and this block looks fairly quick and easy.
    Salijo

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Should the neutral backgrounds all be solid - or are light neutral prints acceptable?

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3
    6. Annabelle1941 -2

Salijo, please let me know when I can add your name to the list.
    Bonnie, good question. I really should be more descriptive in my first posts. I will try harder next month.
    The whites and neutrals can be solids or prints. (WOW, tone on tone, etc. are all acceptable)

I've decided to add an incentive to putting your name on the map!
    I will be giving away a free fat quarter to the winner of the block lotto, if their name appears on the map before the drawing. It will just be a random fat quarter from my stash, but hey, it's free fabric. ;)
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, Cathy. I was in the mood to work on something small this morning and made one block using 1930's repro prints with 1930's cream background. I've cut pieces for a second block using fossil fern fabric and a bubbly patterned WOW. I was thinking I'd use a cream on cream print with calicoes for the third and will go ahead with that since getting your answer. I just didn't want to throw off the final effect if solids were preferred. I don't usually get started this early, but February is looking like a busy month and I have a little free time now.

Bonnie

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy - I also thank you for the quick response to Bonnie - I had intended to go buy some solid neutral for the background today except the icy weather was a problem. Instead I was able to steal some cream TOT batik I am using for another project, so I could sew some today. So count me in for the Lotto. I am going to try for 3 blocks - that may change if I can't get them all done.
    I do have another question - remember I am new :) - my block is exactly 12.5" completed. The instructions say 12" Finished Block. Does this mean 12" AFTER the block is sewn to another block (reducing 1/2" by the 1/4" seams)? So my 12.5" block right now is UNFINISHED & correct?
    Is everyone collectively shaking their heads in amazement I am asking this??? LOL - My block is sewn very well. All my corners meet, it is pressed nicely, no puckers - I am a very good seamstress - just new to the jargon. Don't be scared to get my blocks - unless of course they are the wrong size.
    If they are the wrong size, please tell me what I did wrong. I think 12.5" is correct, but I am not sure ( its that finished definition vs unfinished)
    Thank you everyone for your patience.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3

Mag, you are correct, it's a 12" finished block and a 12.5" unfinished. I don't know why some refer to blocks in 'finished' sizes and others in 'unfinished', as it does tend to get confusing. ;(
    Anytime you have any questions, just ask away. We've got a great group of people on this forum that are always ready to help out! :)
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy, thank you for answering - again- so fast. I really appreciate it. Time seems to be so tight & being so new at this, I've had to figure out the rules of the Lotto & the Block. I actually looked up some of the past Lottos for answers - next time I will just ask 1st & save the time- it is better spent sewing & a lot more fun. Everyone here seems so willing to answer questions.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Put me down for 3. This looks like a great way to use up some scraps!

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3

Bonnie, I'm partial to 1930's repro and calicoes so I'm really looking forward to seeing your blocks!
    It was nice that I was here to answer questions today. I'm thanking the snow for that! LOL
    Cathy

• paulah_gardener
    15 years ago

Count me in for 3 This is my first time in the lotto block. So will you please email me your address. thank you paula

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

Well I guess I'm going to jump in as well. I'm a total newbie but I think I can make this block!

Please count me in for 3 (yes, I am really going to go for it!!)

I also need your address...

Susan

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I want to play
    I'm gonna try to do 2, will let you know how many I'm able to do
    thanks and I will try to get mine out to you sooner this time
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3
    9. Paulah-gardener -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2

Welcome to the game Paula and Susan! You both have e-mail. ;)
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Block Lotto Map

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

That is such a cute block!!! I can't join this month (heavy sigh) but I do enjoy looking at the finished blocks very much.
    I do want to say to the newbies that I dropped out of a guild because of back biting over differences in blocks. It just became too stressful!!
    Different people have different tastes and different skill levels (regardless of how long you have been quilting LOL).
    This is supposed to be FUN, and it is so great to have blocks made by your quilting friends.
    We had a discussion here not too long ago that simply stated if you don't like the block made by someone else just say thank you and give it away or what ever, just don't feel that you must insult the giver by telling them it is UGLY.
    The short of it is, if someone is that picky, don't participate in the swaps, and let the others that do participate have a great time.
    So, don't be afraid to join in the swaps here, these people are wonderful and will help you with anything and everthing.
    Welcome to all of the newbies, we learn from you too.
    Rosa

• wynative
    15 years ago

Cathy,

I will sign up for one but will probably get 2 or 3 done. I will let you know when I send.

Marie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1
    5. Calliope -3
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3
    9. Paulah-gardener -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2
    12.Wynative -1

Rosa, I'm so glad you stopped by! It would be nice if you could free up some time to join us one of these months! ;)
    Thanks for the reminder that this should be fun for all!
    Newbies and 'seasoned' quilters are always welcome to join in here!
    And I'm always open to block requests and suggestions. I think it makes it more fun when everyone gets to have some input. :)
    Cathy

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

I am way ahead of myself this month - it has been snowing all day so i did my two blocks and hopefully if i can get to the post office will post later in the week. I really enjoyed doing this design. Best wishes to you all and have a great day, Ann

• calliope
    15 years ago

Cathy, my blocks went to the post office yesterday. You should be getting them Monday.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

This block is so fast and easy. Quick to cut and quick to sew. I cut squares for all 3 blocks, then put two of them together in one evening. The 3rd will get made this weekend.

Like Bonnie, I did a variety: one with some rich colors & a cream background, another with 30's repros and WOW and the 3rd with brights and white.

This pattern is cute, cute, cute and not one I would have ever picked on my own. I learn so much from doing these lottos. This was a great choice!

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Cathy, I need your address again please. Evidently I deleted the wrong email when I was tidying up my mailbox.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

(I was sure I sent this earlier this afternoon, but guess it didn't post.)

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3
    2. Caroline1947 -3
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    5. Calliope -3 (Received)
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3
    9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received)
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2
    12.Wynative -1

I haven't opened up the baggies, but just from looking at what's showing, there's some really pretty fabrics coming in. These blocks are going to make a very nice quilt for someone.
    It is a fun block and I'm glad that Calliope suggested it.
    Bonnie, my address is on the way. ;)
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cathy, I put my 3 in the mail to you today.

Kate

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

I'm packaging mine right now and they'll be in the mail later this afternoon.

Bonnie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for letting me know they are on the way!
    I'll update the list as they arrive.
    Cathy

• patti60
    15 years ago

have 1 done and 2 ready to sew will be sending 3 blocks by mon.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received)
    2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received)
    3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2
    12.Wynative -1

More beautiful blocks arrived today! :)
    I'll be on the lookout for others! ;)

A reminder, if you haven't already added your name to the block lotto map,
    please do so before the end of the month.
    I'll include a free fat quarter for the winner if their name is on the map.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy, Please send me your address via GW email. What have you found to be the best packaging for safe delivery of the blocks? Tyvek - bubble - or padded envelopes - or something else? I have 2 completed & hope to complete another this weekend. Also Thanks for organizing this!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cathy - I'm interested to know about the shipping too. I just use a plain white or brown 6x9 envelope although I usually fold a piece of heavy (like cardstock) paper in half and put the block inside that to protect it a little more. It's fabric so it shouldn't need bubble or padding to protect it, right?

I used to put my blocks inside a ziplock baggie but I've received birthday blocks in plastic baggies where the paper envelope around it was all torn. The mailman told me that plastic inside the envelope causes it to rip up in their sorters so I've stopped doing that.

Most of the birthday blocks I've received have just been a lovely folded block inside an slightly oversized envelope. It seems to work just fine.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    8. Solstice98 -3 (Received)
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2
    12.Wynative -1

Mag, you have mail. ;)
    Kate, your pretty blocks arrived. :)

I've been getting many different types of envelopes and many different ways of how blocks have been 'packaged' inside. So far, the only 'problem' was with one larger (9X11?) plain mailer that arrived with a small tear in it (the contents were fine though). I think everyone has their preferences and comfort zone for sending and there's no one way of getting the job done.
    But, since you asked, here's a short list of things to consider when mailing...

1.Bubble mailers aren't necessary, but blocks should be in a baggie or wrapped in plastic. By all means, if you want to use the bubble mailers, that's fine, but blocks should be in baggies or wrapped in plastic to protect from moisture.
    2.When wrapping or putting blocks in baggies, it's a great idea to include your name and address, INSIDE the wrapping, so that if the packaging does get mangled by the post office, there's still an address for them to get your item back to you.
    3.Baggies, (or any plastic bag, i.e. -pleated sandwich bags) or wrapping also serves to keep your blocks together along with your name and forum name so that the winner will know who made what.
    4.Also, I think the 6X9 inch mailers work well. They are nice and snug with 3 blocks inside. I think the looser the contents, the more chance of things getting caught up in machinery, etc.
    5.I have received 1 or 2 blocks wrapped in plastic inside a regular business sized envelope with no problems.
    6.Pins and other metal objects used to attach your info are not needed if you wrap the slip of paper with the info inside the baggie or plastic wrap. Pins and such can cause the package to get caught up in machinery too. (Along with those larger zippers on some bags!) I think Kate's idea of the cardstock helps too. It seems to help protect things from the machinery!

Of course, that's my limited experience and I'd love to hear about your experiences with sending/receiving blocks or any suggestions or comments you may have.

All that said, I have been 'experimenting' on getting the blocks out to the winners. I've tried different packaging and different postal rates and I try to remember to insure them all, so if anyone has any problems with receiving the blocks, please let me know!
    Cathy

• judylee59
    15 years ago

Hello! I'm ready to play again. I haven't done the lotto since last summer/fall??? I was just too busy. Put me down for 3. I cut all my fabric last night, and have today off from work so I'll be able to sew them. Thank You for organizing- I love this block and I love scrappy. Judy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -2
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    6. Annabelle1941 -2
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -2
    12.Wynative -1
    13.Judylee59 -3

Welcome aboard Judy! Be on the lookout for an e-mail. :)
    Cathy

• patti60
    15 years ago

my 3 blocks are in the mail. i did forget to put down my forum name sorry.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    WOOHOO can you beleve I got 3 done, this was a very fun block, I will have them in the mail today.
    thanks cathy for hosting
    michelle

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy, I mailed my 3 blocks today! Thanks for all your answers to my questions as a new participate.
    Also want to suggest the "Flat Rate Boxes/postage" thru the Post Office for the shipping of the blocks to the winner. There are 3 different size boxes available, at different rates. It is less expensive if you use the Internet site to print the postage. Just a suggestion for you to consider, if you wanted to compare.
    Thanks for hosting this!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -3 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received)
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -3
    12.Wynative -1
    13.Judylee59 -3

Two more packages arrived today! Thanks!
    Patti, no problem. I'll take care of it unless you happen to be the lucky winner. ;)
    Michelle, it sounds like you had fun with them! LOL I went ahead and changed your data above.
    Mag, thanks for your suggestions! I'll check it out.
    Cathy

• judylee59
    15 years ago

Good Morning! Mine are in the mail. This was a fun block. Good Luck everyone! Judy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -3 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -3 (Received)
    12.Wynative -1
    13.Judylee59 -3

Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks!
    I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy.
    Thanks for letting me know it's on the way.
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -3 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3 (Received)
    10.Itsmesuzq -3
    11.Micyrey -3 (Received)
    12.Wynative -1
    13.Judylee59 -3 (Received)

Two more packages stuffed with pretty blocks arrived today!
    Thanks Mag and Judy!
    Cathy

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

Hi there!
    I mailed mine yesterday...you should be getting them today.

Susan

• salijo
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, I obviously was not able to participate this month. I just finished February's birthday blocks this past weekend! I only have one block to do in March, so hopefully I can send something for that lotto. Don't count on me unless I notify you though!
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan, thanks for letting me know. It didn't make it today, so I guess it should be here tomorrow then. ;)

Salijo, the lotto, like the birthday block swaps, should be fun and not something to stress about. So whenever you are ready, just let me know and I'll add you to the list. ;)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3. Patti60 -3 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo -1 (here)
    7. Magothyrivergirl -3 (Received)
    10.Itsmesuzq -3 (Received)
    11.Micyrey -3 (Received)
    12.Wynative -1
    13.Judylee59 -3 (Received)

Susan, your package of beautiful blocks arrived this afternoon!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

I AM SO SORRY!!! I just found the block I made over the weekend :( I moved, had a flood and have just spent 2 days digging out of snow drifts to get to my job and my daughter to school..... I don't know how it got into a box of books??? but I am more than happy to send it to the winner as it really is finished LOL

Cathy do you want me to send it to you or to the winner? PLMK
    Marie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my! Thanks for letting us know of the mishap. It sounds like you've been having my kind of luck!
    Hope things have settled down now and you are able to enjoy your new place. ;)
    E-mail is on the way.
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Hi Marie - I am the Lucky winner of the Feb Lotto- That is so nice of you to think about sending me the block. I've sent Cathy an email. You have so much on your plate, in addition to winter not leaving you! Hopefully spring is around the corner. Moving is always hectic, but finding the block tells me you are getting unpacked - a good thing! Please don't rush to send me the block.
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals