SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

woodenzoo
15 years ago

I know that April is a busy month for a lot of us with Easter and gardening, so by request, let's do a quilters choice block (think sampler quilt), 12 1/2" unfinished in black and white. Such a classic look! Thanks for the suggestion Kate!

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, along with your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks!

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner. Blocks need to reach me no later than April 30th to be entered.

This month's winner will be drawn on May 1st.

Cathy

Comments (76)

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

My first attempt at posting pics - apologies for the size - I can't get the others smaller- I need help. Using Photobucket- this has taken me longer to get the pics to post than to sew the blocks-and I'm not laughing!

Boxy Stars - Bonnie Hunter

Woven Ribbons - quilterscache.com

Louisiana - quilterscache.com

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marsha, the blocks look great!
    I don't think I can help much with the pictures. You can edit and resize the pictures at photobucket. I'm not sure of a good size though. You could look to see what size that first or third one is, whichever is closest to the size you'd prefer, and then resize the other to the same size (or close to it).
    LOL See? I told you I wasn't much help with the pictures! :(
    Cathy

• Related Discussions

February block lotto sign ups

Q

Comments (34)
    Cathy, I am going to take a big huge stab at your problem - looking at it purely from an analytical, new piecer standpoint (as I do with all my work) I think the problems may be a combination of what you are doing- that because of the many seams, exponentially result in the block being to small in different areas. From my experience- please don't be offended if you know & already do this- these hints solved most of my problems. * you may be stretching the diagonal when you mark it - try laying it on a fine grit pc of sandpaper & mark it lightly with a fine pencil accurately. Now stitch it a thread width from the line - use an open toe presser foot if you have one - not the 1/4" with the little fence. Go ahead & sew the bonus - then cut between the 2 with scissors to avoid stretching with the rotary cutter if that's possible. *(Ricky Tims says) Press the stitches on the seam side and flip the piece up to the right side and press again (I like to add a shot of steam w/out moving the iron) *Use fine pins to match those points and seams - I find that if the center points are off - the block gets shortened and I lose the 1/4" at the outside. The more seams in the block - the worse it is off -as if that too little thread width in the beginning keeps negatively multiplying (You can tell, I'm not a mathematician). Your block is pretty - everyone has helped me immensely on this forum, and I hope some newbie, simpleton suggestions from me are helpful. As a seamstress, I want to produce the best work and I strive for exactness, so when I had some problems with a similar block, I read and read and this is what I came up with that solved the problem.
    ...See More

May Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (36)
    1. Salijo - 1-3 2. Calliope - 3 (Received) 3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here) 4. Agoldencomet - 3 5. Poldiceann - 3 (Received) 6. Itsmesuzq - 1 (Received) 7. Bonnie_nmi - 3 Ann, your wonderful blocks arrived yesterday. And thank you for the delightful fat quarter you sent to cover postage! I'm thinking of special plans for it... I'll be keeping an eye out for Sally's, Goldie's and Bonnie's blocks. Thanks to all of you for letting me know they are on the way. ;) Cathy
    ...See More

April-May Paper Piecing Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi, Cathy, I am also sending in some entries to this lotto. Sorry - thought I had written before. I will try to send three. Since I am mailing from Nova Scotia, I feel I should make it worthwhile LOL. I finished the first one tonight - my first paper piecing!! And it turned out okay though it did take a long time. I will get the other two done and in the mail to you by May 20th. This is "the long week-end" in Canada - the Monday on or before May 24th is a holiday to commemorate the Queen's birthday. In Nova Scotia everyone heads to the cottage to "open her up". Lately this has become known as the May 2-4 week-end - LOL. With company and all I don't get much sewing done. Thanks for hosting this lotto and for giving me a reason to try paper piecing. goldie
    ...See More

January Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (44)
    Never mind! I spoke too soon! I gave it a try tonight and was able to fix one of the blocks easily. I'll only be sending 2 but I'll get them sent off tomorrow. If they don't get to Cathy by the 31st, then they still shouldn't count for the drawing, but at least she'll be able to send them along with all the other blocks because I'm positive they'll be there by the 1st or 2nd. Kate
    ...See More
  • paulah_gardener
    15 years ago

Please put me down for 2. paula

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1
    10.Judylee59 - 3
    11.Patti60 - 2
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2

• wynative
    15 years ago

Okay - Im on the fence with this one.... I LOVE the look of the blocks that have been posted but I don't have any material like them... But I am going to Loveland on Friday and they have a HUGE Joanne's! If I can find some that I like :) I will join.

Will let ya know this weekend,
    Marie

• judylee59
    15 years ago

Hi Cathy, My 3 blocks are done. I didn't save your address from the last lotto-if I did I lost it. Anyway, when you get a chance please send me your address. I LOVE black and white-a lucky winner is going to have an awesome quilt. Thanks- Judy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Marie - I did not have any B&W fabric for this either. I bought all of it at Joanns-on sale. Look for the printable coupons on line before you go to shop.
    They had lots of B & W - actually too many to make it easy. Hope you find some you like.

• cziga
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know, I mailed my 2 blocks out before the weekend so they should be there in about a week or so . . . all the black/n/whites posted here so far look great.

• wynative
    15 years ago

OH MY..... I'm back from Joanne's and no, I didn't see the coupon post before I went... That's okay as their Simplicity pattern's are on sale for .99!! I need to make drapes for my dining room and living room and found 2 that will be perfect - simple, simple, simple LOL

My new friend, Sue and I had lunch in Fort Collins - Really YUMMY Burritos! - and she told me about her favorite local quilt shop - Yes, I stopped there also... but I found some really fun fabric :)

Sign me up for 2 but I may get more done hehehehe Now I just have to get off here and decide which ones I want to do.... and I promise to send these out on time :)

Marie

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

You can put me in for 1. I made it today it will go out next week.

Vicky

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1
    10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received)
    11.Patti60 - 2
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    14.Vicky4x4 - 1

Judy, your wonderful blocks arrived today! Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes open for your package Cathleen! Yours too Vicky!
    Thanks for letting me know they are on the way.

Marie (and Sue!), how nice that you got to meet! Sounds like you both had a great time. :)
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

I'm going for three blocks again this month. I was going to take April off, but I just can't help myself!

Bonnie

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I did 2 blocks last night and will do the third tonight; they'll be in the mail by Thursday for certain. I love working with these fabrics!

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    11.Patti60 - 2
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    14.Vicky4x4 - 1
    15.Bonnie_nmi - 3

Kate, I'll keep an eye open for them.
    Cathy

• calliope
    15 years ago

I couldn't get enthused at first about interpreting patterns in just black and white, until I did one. Now I understand why so many people are doing the lotto this month. Very dramatic, aren't they?

Please put me down for two. I did a Brasstown star and a churndash last night.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy -took my 3 blocks to the post office this morning.
    Thanks again for hosting this!

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

My blocks are finished and will go in the mail tomorrow. I made three that turned out fine - shown together on my ironing board. The fourth (actually the first I made) is too large and can't be cut back without losing points. I forgot to readjust my needle position after working on crumb blocks. I'm going to send it anyway. Maybe the lucky winner can use it someplace where it won't show too much. I just couldn't make myself take it apart and start over. It was easier starting a different block instead.
    The first block is called Annie's Choice. It isn't very clear in the preview.

I had lots of black and white fabric left from making extra blocks for my penguin quilt. It's fun to be able to shop completely from stash!

Bonnie

• patti60
    15 years ago

put my 2 blocks in the mail today.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    my 3 blocks are going in the mail today,I just loved this month and I think I have been inspired to make a sampler as soon as I have the time..HA HA ya right
    michelle

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Ooooo! I love the Annie's Choice block. Thanks for posting a picture of that one, Bonnie. I'm having a vision of lots and lots of half square triangles in my future!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    11.Patti60 - 2
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    14.Vicky4x4 - 1
    15.Bonnie_nmi - 3
    16.Calliope - 2 (Received)

Wow! I didn't even have a chance to add your name to the list before your blocks arrived Calliope! How's that for quick mail service? ;) (LOL Or was I just too slow?)
    Bonnie, I really like that bow tie block. I hadn't thought about combining the two different sizes.
    Thanks all for letting me know the blocks are on the way! I'll be looking for them!
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I put 3 blocks in the mail today. You should have them by Monday, I think.

Here they are, although the pictures didn't come out very sharp. The first one is called Puss in the Corner, but I don't know names for the other two.

Kate

• polardream
    15 years ago

Finished my 2 blocks tonight ... if the snowstorm that is predicted misses us, I will mail tomorrow!
    Sue

• wynative
    15 years ago

Oh, my - all of the blocks are so nice! Here are the 2 that I have finished:

Buzzards Roost
    {{!gwi}}

Martha Washington
    {{!gwi}}

I will get at least one more finished tomorrow and then send them out later next week
    Marie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    11.Patti60 - 2 (Received)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    14.Vicky4x4 - 1
    15.Bonnie_nmi - 3

Patti, your lovely blocks arrived this afternoon. I really like that one... would you happen to have the names of the blocks?
    Kate, those are all so pretty! I'll let you know when they arrive.
    Sue, I hope the storm misses you! I'm sure you are more than ready for some nice warm weather. I know I am!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, we must have been typing at the same time, but I type very slow... LOL
    Those look wonderful! Thanks for posting the pictures! :)
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I love seeing pics of the the different blocks that have been made for this.
    I tried to make my pics smaller (again) - sorry again if it is making this thread load slowly - can someone tell me how to fix it?

• solstice98
    15 years ago

to make pictures smaller, go to the picture on photobucket, click on 'edit' and then 'resize'. Choose medium size and it should be just about right for this forum.

The next time you upload pictures, in the upload box you can set the size you want all the pictures to be.

Hope that helps!
    Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Yea! It worked! I should have refreshed the page before I went back in and resized to small - now they are too small - but better than being to large. I hope I'll do better next time! I hope.
    Thanks Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    8. Micyrey - 3 (Received)
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received)
    15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received)

Three packages arrived this afternoon!
    Very lovely blocks came in from Michelle, Vicky and Bonnie.
    Great job y'all!

Marsha, glad Kate was able to help you out with the photos. Looking good!
    Thanks for the assistance Kate!
    Hopefully this weekend, I'll get busy and finish my 2nd block.
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    15 years ago

Hello, my new quilting buddies!!

I would like to know if it is too late to join this lotto? If not I would like to enter it - and I also need to know some more info: deadline for the arrival of the entries and the address to send them too? Also, do we send one dollar regardless of how many entries? Or one dollar per entry?

I have just arrived back in Nova Scotia from wintering in Florida and my seewing room is in the same mess I left it in!! Where were those winter clean-up elves?? LOL

I don't know how many I can get completed but as soon as I get settled and get the info I will begin sewing and let you know asap.

goldie

• patti60
    15 years ago

you know i can't rember which blocks i used. to many projects going. i have a book called block tools that i bought at a quilt store couple years ago. use it all the time. has 105 patterns with 5 sizes each. if you could post a picture i could.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Mine are going in the mail today.

Mary

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received)
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2

Two more packages arrived today! Wonderful blocks from Marsha and Cathleen! Marsha, the pictures just do not do the blocks justice, no matter what size the pictures are! ;)

Goldie, you may have enough time... the blocks have to arrive by the last day of the month. It is one dollar for up to 3 blocks, so send 1, 2 or 3 blocks and send only one dollar. You'll need to send me an e-mail as you don't have any way for me to contact you. My e-mail address is on my page linked below.

Patti, this is the block I'd like the name of...

The book sounds interesting and I've added it to my Amazon list. Thanks!

Mary, I'll keep an eye out for your package. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodenzoo's Page

• patti60
    15 years ago

the block is called the whirlpool,let me know if you can't find it.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Thanks Patti! I may use this one for a project I'm making for a friend.
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received)
    2. Polardream - 2-3
    4. Mary_c - 3
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Kate, your lovely blocks arrived this afternoon. Thanks!
    So many of us have been using fabrics with the same themes in them... these are really going to work nice together! :)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I keep forgetting!!!
    I just posted about it on the paper piecing lotto thread and quickly forgot to mention it here!
    But, if you haven't done so already, please add your name to the block lotto map before the drawing! If it's there and your name is drawn, I'll also send along a fat quarter with your blocks.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Block Lotto Map

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

2. Polardream - 2-3
    4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Mary, your wonderful blocks arrived this afternoon. Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

2. Polardream - 2 (Received)
    4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Sue, your lovely blocks arrived today. Thanks!
    Did you get hit by that snowstorm? I'd seen that some areas received quite a bit of snow and many were without power.
    Hope the worst of it missed you!
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    15 years ago

I have finally finished three squares!! Yeah!! I will send them off at the crack of dawn tomorrow LOL!

I didn't have any interesting fabric, so I chose what I hope will be interesting and different patterns.

And hopefully I can attach the pictures of them. The areas which look grey in the pics are actually white.

Abstraction:

Joseph' Delight:

Joseph's Delight (with colors reversed):

goldie
    xoxo

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Beautiful!

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Great blocks - I especially like seeing the difference in Joesph's Delight reversing the B & W.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 2-3
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received)
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks!

Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way.
    Cathy

• poldiceann
    15 years ago

I did say i would do 2 or 3, but time has caught up with me and have only managed to get one done - sorry - will post on Monday and hope it arrives on time.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 1
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    13.Wynative - 2
    17.Agoldencomet - 2

Ann, thanks for letting me know it's on it's way!
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Cathy,

I sent mine out yesterday and there are 3 :)

Hope everyone is having a great week and I love all the posted blocks!
    Marie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for letting me know it's on the way Marie.
    I'll keep my eye open for it and let you know when it arrives.
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 1
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    13.Wynative - 2 (Received)
    17.Agoldencomet - 2 (Received)

Two more packages arrived today! Thanks Marie and Marilyn!
    I'll be drawing the winner soon!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

4. Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    5. Caroline1947 - 3
    6. Cziga - 2 (Received)
    7. Poldiceann - 1
    9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    13.Wynative - 3 (Received)
    17.Agoldencomet - 3 (Received)

Just getting the names ready and wanted to correct the # of blocks sent and received...
    Cathy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH