SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

April-May Paper Piecing Lotto Sign-Ups

woodenzoo
15 years ago

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, along with your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

Let's follow common lotto and block swap rules in regards to fur free, smoke and scent free materials to be used. If you must use gummed labels, please use them on the baggies or on a slip of paper inside the baggie.

To cut down on postage costs, please GENTLY remove paper from the back of your blocks before sending.

Please include one dollar (or e-mail me for alternatives) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

You will have 2 months to work on your blocks.

Blocks need to reach me no later than MAY 31st to be entered.

The April-May winner will be drawn on JUNE 1st.

It wasn't easy to pick our first PP lotto block! Aside from being so darn cute, it was chosen with someone that had just a little experience with paper piecing in mind, but with just a little practice, even a beginner would have no troubles completing this one!

So, let's do a teacup block! (Though they call it a coffee cup!)

How about with a floral print on a white or a very light background

and bleached muslin or a solid white cotton for the block background.

The pattern is here, http://www.alanandmike.com/miniblocks/COFCUPPC.GIF

(And it is listed on the link below.)

This will need to be enlarged. (I set the scale to 200% for a 6" finished block size. You may need to play with it, since printers are different. Please measure to ensure a 6" finished size.) I did make a test block using this enlarged pattern and had no problems.

If anyone needs any help with paper piecing, please ask. I'm sure that experienced paper piecers will be happy to help if they can and though I don't feel that I've got that much experience, I think I have the basics down and in anticipation, I did take pictures while making the test block to help illustrate answers to possible questions that may come up.

Thanks!

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan and Mike

Comments (42)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I'm already a little scared, but I'll try to do 1.
    is there an info page on paper piecing?
    the cup is to be a floral(no prob, I have lots)
    can the background be a white on white, I'm almost out after finnshing the april swap blocks.

thanks
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2

Yes, WOW will be fine also.
    Here's a couple of sites for instructions...
    http://www.winnowing.com/ppp.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingthree.html

And here you can find a couple of easy beginner blocks...
    http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

Hope those help!
    If you need further assistance, just let us know...
    Cathy

• Related Discussions

February Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (54)
    1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received) 2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received) 3. Patti60 -3 (Received) 4. Woodenzoo -1 (here) 5. Calliope -3 (Received) 6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received) 7. Magothyrivergirl -3 8. Solstice98 -3 (Received) 9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received) 10.Itsmesuzq -3 11.Micyrey -3 (Received) 12.Wynative -1 13.Judylee59 -3 Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (43)
    Petalpatsy - 1 (Received) Odessaquilts - 2 (Received) Lafonda_ranch - 2 (Received) Quiltpartner - 3 (Received) Solstice98 - 1 (Received) Magothyrivergirl - 1 (Received) Woodenzoo - 1 (Here) Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received) Mary_c - 2 (Received) Patti60 - 1 (Received) Patsy, Joyce - your pretty blocks arrived. Thanks! We're expecting rain and storms for most of the weekend so I'll try to announce the winner early tomorrow morning before the weather turns bad and our electric goes out! Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (76)
    1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received) 2. Polardream - 2 (Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received) 4. Mary_c - 3 (Received) 5. Caroline1947 - 3 6. Cziga - 2 (Received) 7. Poldiceann - 2-3 8. Micyrey - 3 (Received) 9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here) 10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received) 11.Patti60 - 2 (Received) 12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received) 13.Wynative - 2 14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received) 15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received) 16.Calliope - 2 (Received) 17.Agoldencomet - 2 Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks! Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

May Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (36)
    1. Salijo - 1-3 2. Calliope - 3 (Received) 3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here) 4. Agoldencomet - 3 5. Poldiceann - 3 (Received) 6. Itsmesuzq - 1 (Received) 7. Bonnie_nmi - 3 Ann, your wonderful blocks arrived yesterday. And thank you for the delightful fat quarter you sent to cover postage! I'm thinking of special plans for it... I'll be keeping an eye out for Sally's, Goldie's and Bonnie's blocks. Thanks to all of you for letting me know they are on the way. ;) Cathy
    ...See More
  • lola99
    15 years ago

Hi,

What color do you want the table? I assume the cup handle and saucer can be any color that matches the floral tea cup?

I'll probably participate, but don't sign me up just yet. :) I LOVE paper piecing!

Lola

• salijo
    15 years ago

Well, I think I'm going to give this a shot. I'm a newbie, but I've enjoyed the few paper piecing blocks that I've done (once I realized how to do it, that is!)

You can put me down for 1 block for now. If it turns out well and I have time, I might do another.

Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1

Welcome aboard Salijo! E-mail is on the way.

Lola, thanks for pointing that out to me!
    I had the idea so clear in my head, that I didn't even notice they had a 'table' in the block.
    Here's a picture of my test block. I made it with a dark fabric because I was taking pictures and wanted a good contrast between the fabrics...

Blocks for the lotto should be a floral print on a white or a very light background
    and bleached muslin or a solid white cotton for the block background.
    Here's the two floral prints I have in mind for the blocks I'm going to try making for the lotto.

I guess I'm leaning towards a soft, subtle, romantic look...

Let me know if this messes anyone up and we can change it if need be...
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I'll do one.

Vicky

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1
    4. Vicky4x4 - 1

I haven't gotten too far yet. I've got 2 patterns printed and pre-folded. LOL It's a start!
    I'll start cutting the fabric this week when I have a few minutes before heading out to work. Then the easy part of sewing begins!
    Cathy

• lola99
    15 years ago

Okay, so no table (white), and the handle and saucer should be the same floral print as the cup right?

You can put me down for one. I'm guessing I'll end up doing 3, but I better start with a smaller commitment!

Thanks,
    Lola

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    help again, do I stitch the pieces acording to their numbers(1 & 2, then 3 then 4 then 5 and so on)?
    or do I start from the center?
    I screwed up the first one, starting from the center, then it occured to me, may be their not just randomly numbered.
    HELP
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle, they are by number...
    I'm off to work...
    Cathy

• lola99
    15 years ago

Yes, it is very important to sew in the order that the pieces are numbered.

The way that I learned to paper piece is slightly different than the directions that Cathy posted. Her directions are very good, so use those if in doubt. The way I learned just has a different way of cutting your fabric. IÂll try to describe itÂ

Start by pinning a piece of white material to the BACK of your paper. You can hold it up to the light to make sure that the material that you selected completely covers the entire area labeled #1 with at least ¼ margin all the way around.

I then put the unit down on my cutting mat, number side up. I place a post card, or index card with the edge on the line between #1 and #2. Then I fold the paper back over the post card. (You really want to crease the paper, and using the post card makes sure that you are doing this with a straight line.) You should now see the back side of some of the extra material from #1 that is pinned in place. I place my ruler on the creased paper, measuring ¼ inch from the fold and trim any excess fabric from #1.

Then, turn the unit over so the fabric is facing up again, unfold the paper, and line up your #2 fabric (in this case, part of the cup handle) with the edge that you cut from your #1 fabric. You want to make sure that your #2 fabric is laying on top of your #1 fabric with right sides together and that once you sew your seam and open #2 fabric up that it will cover the area labeled #2. Pin it in place.

Flip the unit over so the numbers and lines are face up. Sew on the line between #1 and #2 (make sure to start a bit before the line and end a bit after the line). Press (I learned to press with a dry iron, so I donÂt make the paper moist).

Now, put the unit back on your cutting mat, number side up. Put your post card on the line between #2 and #3, and once again, fold the paper along that line. It is okay if the paper rips away from your earlier #1-#2 seam (it has to rip away if you extended your sewing slightly beyond the line). Again, use your ruler to cut any excess fabric ¼ inch away from your new line. Then repeat the process.

I hope this helps and makes sense! Once you get the hang of it, paper piecing is wonderful.

Lola

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1
    4. Vicky4x4 - 1
    5. Lola - 1

That's pretty much the way I do it too.
    I do use the post card (or a piece of card stock) to crease the folds, but I do all the folds first (before sewing) as it seems easier for me.
    I only pin the very first piece of fabric and after sewing a line, I fold the paper back on the sewn line to trim, if it needs it, to a 1/4" seam allowance. I finger press each seam as I go and save the iron until the block is complete.

Thanks for the instructions Lola! I was running late and didn't have time to say more earlier, so am grateful that you stepped in to lend a hand!
    I don't care too much for the links I provided for instructions, but they were the best ones I could find. I can't remember where I learned the way you described. I'm thinking one of my books...

Cathy

• paulah_gardener
    15 years ago

I tried this several years ago-so count me in for 1. Paula

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1
    4. Vicky4x4 - 1
    5. Lola - 1
    6. Paulah-gardener - 1

On second thought, lets NOT remove the paper. Most recommend keeping the papers intact until the blocks are sewn together.
    I just weighed a sampling of blocks with and without papers and the papers really didn't add much if any weight.
    If you have already removed them, it's alright and they will still be acceptable.

Cathy

• calliope
    15 years ago

Since we have two months to do this, and I really enjoy paper piecing, you can put me down for two. I went to JoAnn's today to pick up some black print fabric in case I get a chance to participate in this month's black and white lotto and looked around for appropriate fabric for the teacups and I could only find TWO bolts of fabric in the whole store in cotton with print on a white background. Can you believe that? That used to be about the most common cotton around. I'll look through my stash upstairs of retro cottons to see if I can find a floral on white and if I do that's what'll go in the teacups.

Sign me up for two.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1
    4. Vicky4x4 - 1
    5. Lola - 1
    6. Paulah-gardener - 1
    7. Calliope - 2

Calliope, it doesn't have to be a white background. Any light background should be fine. I just don't want anything too dark. Like my sample block would be a definite no-no. I'll bet you have something in your stash that will be just fine!
    But it is strange that Joann's didn't have more than two bolts of floral on white...
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I did my blocks today. I got two of them done :-) Very pretty but it takes a long time.
    Vicky

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Micyrey - 1
    2. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    3. Salijo - 1
    4. Vicky4x4 - 2?
    5. Lola - 1
    6. Paulah-gardener - 1
    7. Calliope - 2

Vicky, those are very pretty! Do you really think they took that long?
    I feel that it takes me forever to cut the fabric, but the sewing usually goes pretty quick unless it's one of those blocks with a bazillion pieces! LOL I'm still working on one of those that I started over a year ago!
    But thanks for letting me know. I'll have to keep in mind that most people don't want to take too much time in putting these together along with keeping the fabric choices flexible.
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

Cathy,
    I'm a little slow when it comes to paper piecing anyway. I spend a lot of time ripping out :-) I found that paper piecing is like thinking backward. I do it and I LOVE the outcome but it's time consuming.

So are you going to do a machine applique for June/July?

Vicky

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL I get it now Vicky. I do that a lot too!
    I was almost going to mention in the directions for the lotto to be sure to have your seam ripper handy for this, but thought better of it. Didn't want to discourage anyone! ;)
    I have been doing quite a bit of paper piecing and it does get easier and quicker the more you do it. I'm hoping FM quilting will be the same way. I really need to START on that or I'll never be any farther than I am now! lol

I would like to do the applique for July/August. Chickens were the first thing to come to mind but I'm afraid that may be a bit difficult for us beginners. How easy is Sunbonnet Sue? Or maybe a quilters choice in fall colors? There's some really cute cat and dog appliques, but would that be too childish? Hmmm... thinking, thinking... Anyone have any suggestions?
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Cathy, I found this website with a huge variety of line drawings for appliques - you may be interested in looking at it for future Lotto. These may not be suitable for what you want to do, but thought it worth it to forward to you. After you click on the picture of the desired applique , they have some how - to instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliques

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Marsha, I'll check it out.
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

If it were me (and it's not) I would use fatcatpatterns. Link included. I LOVE the chickens and have used them a few times, some are very easy(Eggbert) and some are harder(Kicken orLayin) so we could choose the one we found to our level.
    They also have very cute angels in For Girls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fat cat

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    well I hate to say it but... I think this is beyond me.
    I have tried 8 and messed then all up, with the very tiny short stitches I don't think I'm gonna try to rip them out.
    I do like applique so maybe I will try one of those next time if you do those.
    sorry
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    2. Salijo - 1
    3. Vicky4x4 - 2?
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2

Sorry to hear it Michelle. I understand though, it took me awhile to 'get it' myself.
    Is there a point in particular that you are having problems with? That someone could help you with?
    We'll look forward to having you join us for the applique!

Vicky, thanks for the link. I think I'm getting a few ideas with everyone's help. Thanks!
    Cathy

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I send my 2 blocks yesterday along with the black and white April lotto.

Vicky

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    2. Salijo - 1
    3. Vicky4x4 - 2 (Received)
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2

Vicky, your blocks arrived today.
    They look even better in person! ;)
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• salijo
    15 years ago

Is it $1 per block? I've never participated in a lotto before.
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's $1. for up to the 3 block limit.
    Cathy

• salijo
    15 years ago

OK, thanks. Add another block to my name. I finished one today and I think I'll make another!
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 1-2
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2

I love your enthusiasm Salijo! ;)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2

I finished mine yesterday.

And I keep forgetting this.. If you haven't done so already, please add your name to the block lotto map before the drawing! If it's there and your name is drawn, I'll also send along a fat quarter with your blocks.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Block Lotto Map

• tdsully
    15 years ago

I'm getting a late start, but I'm going to try to do two. I enjoy doing the paper piecing. tdsully

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2
    7. Tdsully - 2

Welcome aboard tdsully!
    Please send me an e-mail. You can find it on My Page (just click on my name next to 'posted by'...)
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    6. Calliope - 2 (Received)
    7. Tdsully - 2

Calliope, your pretty blocks arrived today. Thanks!

I think these are going to make a wonderful wall hanging or lap quilt.
    Here's a link for teapots to go with our teacups!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Paper Pieced Teapot Blocks

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    7. Tdsully - 2 (Received)

Tara, your pretty blocks arrived this afternoon!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1

Just a reminder...
    Blocks need to reach me by the 31st (of May) to be entered in the drawing.
    The blocks received so far look great and I think are going to make such a lovely, soft, romantic quilt!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• lola99
    14 years ago

Life is getting in the way of my quilting! I really want to do this lotto, so I'm not giving up yet, but I just may not get it done in time. I'll let you know if/when I mail, and I do understand that I need to get it done in the next week if I'm going to make the deadline. Thanks!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lola!
    Since we had 2 months to complete this, I wanted to be sure everyone realized the time is coming soon. ;)
    I certainly understand about not always having the time to quilt when you want to quilt! Life is just so unfair sometimes! I hope you find some quilting time soon!
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Hi, Cathy,

I am also sending in some entries to this lotto. Sorry - thought I had written before. I will try to send three. Since I am mailing from Nova Scotia, I feel I should make it worthwhile LOL.

I finished the first one tonight - my first paper piecing!! And it turned out okay though it did take a long time. I will get the other two done and in the mail to you by May 20th. This is "the long week-end" in Canada - the Monday on or before May 24th is a holiday to commemorate the Queen's birthday. In Nova Scotia everyone heads to the cottage to "open her up". Lately this has become known as the May 2-4 week-end - LOL. With company and all I don't get much sewing done.

Thanks for hosting this lotto and for giving me a reason to try paper piecing.

goldie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here)
    2. Salijo - 2
    4. Lola - 1
    5. Paulah-gardener - 1
    8. Agoldencomet - 3

Goldie, you've been added to the list. ;)
    Paper piecing gets easier and quicker the more you get accustomed to it.
    The May 2-4 weekend sounds like fun!
    It will be our Memorial Day weekend and is generally our first chance to cook out and break open the swimming pools!
    This year though, I'll probably be too busy with packing and cleaning to do much fun stuff. :(
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Cathy, my three tea cups are in the mail.

They are so sweet! I am thnking of making some more and doing something with them myself!

Thanks for hosting this. And good luck with your packing, etc.

goldie