SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

May Block Lotto Sign-Ups

woodenzoo
15 years ago

I know how much everyone loves using up their scraps and at least one member of the forum has been having fun making them, so lets do Maverick Stars from quiltville.

Let's try to stick with the 8 neutrals and the center can be whatever you choose. If you wish, you may also choose to trim your block(s) at an angle. Blocks are to be 6 1/2" unfinished (6" finished).

Here's mine. I hope I came close enough with the neutrals...

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, along with your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks!

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner. Blocks need to reach me no later than May 30th to be entered.

This month's winner will be drawn on June 1st.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Maverick Stars

Comments (36)

• salijo
    15 years ago

Yippee...I've wanted to try this one. Sign me up! I'll let you know how many blocks later on. (after I finish my paper pieced lotto blocks!)

I take it you want a single square in the center of this rather than the 4-patch that shows in the pattern?

Salijo

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I like it! Put me down for 2 (maybe 3).
    I'm about to start a QOV with scrappy off-whites/tans/beiges and scrappy blues, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of small neutrals to work with. Good timing!

Kate

• Related Discussions

February Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (54)
    1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received) 2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received) 3. Patti60 -3 (Received) 4. Woodenzoo -1 (here) 5. Calliope -3 (Received) 6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received) 7. Magothyrivergirl -3 8. Solstice98 -3 (Received) 9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received) 10.Itsmesuzq -3 11.Micyrey -3 (Received) 12.Wynative -1 13.Judylee59 -3 Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

April-May Paper Pieced Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (29)
    Petalpatsy - 1 (Received) Magothyrivergirl - Calliope - 2 (Received) Woodenzoo - 1 Lafonda_ranch - Tuppermom - Kay_in_pa - 1 Last weekend was a bear! I'll get started on it today while it's too hot and sunny for me to work out in the yard. It really doesn't look that time consuming and I think I'll be able to get it done quickly. How is everyone else coming along with this one? Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (76)
    1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received) 2. Polardream - 2 (Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received) 4. Mary_c - 3 (Received) 5. Caroline1947 - 3 6. Cziga - 2 (Received) 7. Poldiceann - 2-3 8. Micyrey - 3 (Received) 9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here) 10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received) 11.Patti60 - 2 (Received) 12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received) 13.Wynative - 2 14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received) 15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received) 16.Calliope - 2 (Received) 17.Agoldencomet - 2 Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks! Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

August Block Lotto Sign Ups

Q

Comments (55)
    sign ups: 1.vicky4x4 2 block RECEIVED 2 irishdancersgram 2 blocks RECEIVED 3.woodsy 2 blocks RECEIVED 4.patti60 2 blocks RECEIVED 5.abbigail1952 3 blocks RECEIVED 6.amazingcm 3 blocks RECEIVED 7.marty_mo 2 blocks RECEIVED 8.dmsgal 1 block RECEIVED 9.tuppermom 3 blocks RECEIVED 10.dragongoddess 3 blocks RECEIVED 11.Clarion5 3 blocks RECEIVED
    ...See More
  • calliope
    15 years ago

I took one look at the pattern this morning, before I had my cuppa down me, thought OH NO! six inch blocks with all those pieces????

I just looked at it closer, and decided since they can be wonky.......it should be fun. Not a bunch of careful measurements. So, you can put me down for three.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    3. Calliope - 3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)

The center can be whatever you'd like it to be. Can be a 4 patch, a single square, a half square triangle... whatever you may have on hand or feel like making.
    And yes, please feel free to cut the block wonky/on an angle if you'd like.
    It's a very easy block to put together. The problem that I had was coming up with the different colored scraps. I guess I haven't been quilting and saving scraps long enough to have a large variety yet as most of mine seemed to be in the 'greens' range.
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    15 years ago

Hi, Cathy!

This looks like fun!

PLease sign me up for three and I promise to get them to you much earlier this time!

goldie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    3. Calliope - 3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3

Oh, and once again, I forgot to mention...
    If you haven't already, please add your name to the block lotto map.
    If your name is drawn as the winner and your name is on the map,
    I'll send a fat quarter along with your blocks.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Block Lotto Map

• poldiceann
    15 years ago

At first i thought - Noooo - looks complicated,but on reading the instructions think I can cope - put me down for one this time and i will try to get it to you in time. Happy sewing
    Ann

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

Wow! I think I can do this one. I like that is a wonky looking star too. Put me down for one and if I can I'll do more (is that okay?)

Susan

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    3. Calliope - 3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3
    6. Poldiceann - 1
    7. Itsmesuzq - 1

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

I'll send three, Cathy. I've been making a lot of crumb blocks and have my crumb stash spread all over my sewing table, so it shouldn't be a problem finding the right fabrics.

Bonnie

• calliope
    15 years ago

Mine are done, but this is my busiest weekend of the bedding plant season, so I didn't get them posted this morning. I'll either weigh it myself, slap stamps on it and post it tomorrow or take it in to the post office Monday.

Cathy, I really had fun with this pattern. They are soooooo cute done up and so easy. I'm going to continue making enough of those blocks with scraps to one day use them for a border on another quilt. Thanks for just another neat pattern.

Come on gals/guys get signed up for this one and make this another banner month for squares. I could have done all three at one sitting, one of the easiest yet.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    3. Calliope - 3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3
    6. Poldiceann - 1
    7. Itsmesuzq - 1
    8. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Calliope, they are fun and easy to do, aren't they?
    I like the idea of using them as a border.
    I'll let you know when they arrive.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    3. Calliope - 3 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3
    6. Poldiceann - 1
    7. Itsmesuzq - 1
    8. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Calliope, your lovely blocks arrived yesterday.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• salijo
    15 years ago

I am sending three also. Two are finished and the third is cut out (sorta) and ready to sew together.
    Salijo

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Is anyone cutting these blocks wonky? I found that I needed to increase the size of the individual squares to 3" to have enough space to angle my cuts. Is that okay? -- or does it make the star too large to look good with those done with 2 1/2" squares?

Bonnie

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Thought I'd post a pic to show the difference in size of the stars when using the larger squares to get wonky cuts. The finished blocks are all 6 1/2".

What do you think?

Bonnie

• salijo
    15 years ago

I like those Bonnie. I cut one of mine a little skewed, but maybe not enough...it looks more like a mistake then a wonky, quirky block. Oh well, it's going into the lotto anyway!
    Salijo

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I haven't started yet and your blocks show that it's really cute cut wonky! I like them!
    Kate

• calliope
    15 years ago

I was trying to figure out how to make the wonky tilt without making the star bigger and came to the conclusion you'd have to make one 2.5 inch center block and then the outside blocks would have to be more like rectangles made from 2.5 inch strips for the center blocks where the design is, and then four probably three inch blocks or larger for the corner blocks. It was late, I was tired and I said Oh Phooey. LOL.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had to go and look at Bonnie's block at quiltville to see how she did hers. What she actually did, was made it to finish at 6" (like we did) and then trimmed it [wonky] using her Dear Jane 5" square ruler.
    And I agree with Calliope about how we'd have to make the block larger to get it to finish at a wonky 6".
    That said, I really like the blocks just the way they are Bonnie. Just like in nature, stars are not all the same size!
    I think they'll add a really nice touch to the quilt!
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

I checked out Bonnie Hunter's example before I made mine. She made her original block 1" larger than her trimmed one and I made mine 1.5" larger to give more room to angle the cut. I can easily add my wonky ones to my crumb block collection and make two more using 2.5" blocks if no one else is going with the larger inside star. I don't want to throw off the looks of the winner's quilt. They're quick and fun to make, so it won't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

Bonnie

• salijo
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I vote for you to keep it in. The star points on my first two blocks turned out kind of small, and everyone's blocks are going to be very different looking anyway, so I don't see where it would look out of place.

Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3
    6. Poldiceann - 1
    7. Itsmesuzq - 1
    8. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Is everyone still working on these? LOL I almost forgot about it myself!
    Bonnie, have you decided if you are going to send the ones you posted the pictures of? I really do think they'll look great with the others!
    Cathy

• salijo
    15 years ago

Yes, I have three to send you, but I'm waiting to finish one paper-pieced block and then send them all to you at the same time.
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Salijo!
    I forgot you said that's what you were going to do.

And I suppose it's earlier in the month than I thought it was! LOL
    Did you ever have one of THOSE days? Well, so far the whole month as been like that for me... lol
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Cathy -

I've been waiting to see if anyone else replied that they were also going larger to cut wonky. It seems not, so I'll probably make two more of the 2&1/2" like the rest are doing. Thanks for the encouragement from those who said to send them as they are, though. They will be a nice addition to my collection of crumb blocks.

Bonnie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Solstice98 - 2-3
    4. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    5. Agoldencomet - 3
    6. Poldiceann - 3
    7. Itsmesuzq - 1
    8. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Updated the list.
    Bonnie, it's up to you. But I think if I were to win these blocks, I'd be making some wonky ones like yours to add to my winnings! ;)
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I am so, so sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out this month. I like this block and wish I could join in but I'll be traveling for business most of the rest of this month and June too. Since I haven't even been able to get started on this I know it's not going to happen before the end of the month.

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    2. Calliope - 3 (Received)
    3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    4. Agoldencomet - 3
    5. Poldiceann - 3
    6. Itsmesuzq - 1
    7. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Okay, Kate. Sorry to hear that. Travel safe and we'll see you in the lotto again soon!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    4. Agoldencomet - 3
    5. Poldiceann - 3
    6. Itsmesuzq - 1 (Received)
    7. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Susan, your pretty block arrive today! Thanks!
    Cathy

• bonnie_nmi
    14 years ago

Cathy, my blocks were mailed this p.m.

Bonnie

• salijo
    14 years ago

Cathy, I'll probably be mailing my blocks (for both current lottos) on Tuesday. I have them all sewn, I just need to press and trim them up....which I can do this weekend.

I have three blocks for this lotto and two blocks for the paper-pieced.

Thanks!
    Sally

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    4. Agoldencomet - 3
    5. Poldiceann - 3 (Received)
    7. Bonnie_nmi - 3

Ann, your wonderful blocks arrived yesterday. And thank you for the delightful fat quarter you sent to cover postage! I'm thinking of special plans for it...

I'll be keeping an eye out for Sally's, Goldie's and Bonnie's blocks. Thanks to all of you for letting me know they are on the way. ;)
    Cathy

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Cathy, mine are in the mail.

Here they are:

Hope they get there in time.

goldie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1. Salijo - 1-3
    3. Woodenzoo - 1 (here)
    4. Agoldencomet - 3
    5. Poldiceann - 3 (Received)
    7. Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received)

Bonnie, your adorable blocks arrived today! Thanks!
    Goldie, thanks for posting a pic of your cute blocks!
    I'll be keeping an eye out for them.
    Cathy

• salijo
    14 years ago

Cathy, I'm going to the post office today after work to mail the blocks for both lottos. I live in Indiana; so hopefully, they will get to you in just a few days.

I made three for the Maverick Star and two for the teacup. I took photos and will post them soon.

Thanks for hosting these! Salijo