SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

February block lotto sign ups

woodenzoo
14 years ago

How it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie.

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

Please use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time,

have fun and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

The winner also gets to choose a block for an upcoming lotto.

And, please add your name to the map at http://woodenzooquilts.blogspot.com/ if you haven't already, and if your name is drawn, I'll send a fat quarter along with the blocks.

Blocks need to reach me no later than February 28th to be entered.

The winner will be drawn on March 1st.

Upcoming monthly blocks are listed at http://docs.google.com/View?id=dmvc255_1gfq8f5dj (Please do NOT send blocks in advance!)

This month's block is Shooting Star 2. This block was chosen by Odessaquilts.

She suggests WOW on a navy or midnight blue field, so that the star will be white.

So, on your Supplies/Cutting list, Color 1 will be white on white fabric and Color 2 will be your navy or midnight blue. The blue does not need to be a solid as long as it 'reads' navy or midnight blue from a distance.

I really like this block and it should go together quickly and easily. I can't wait to see it in these colors! Nice block, Joyce!

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Shooting Star 2

Comments (34)

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I'm in and will try to do 3.

Here's a quick link to Cathy's site with the list of upcoming blocks. I encourage you all to send in at least one block each month, even if you don't love the block. It's good practice, it's fun, and it keeps the count up high enough so the winner has sufficient blocks to make a quilt. Since I started participating I've discovered patterns and color combinations I like but would not have tried on my own. And it usually only takes a couple hours one evening to do a couple blocks. It's all good! Try something new for 2010!!!

Cathy's list of upcoming blocks

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sign me up please - QTY?

I love this block. It will be striking with the midnight blue background-good choice Odessa.

I suggest whoever gets one sewn first, please post a picture. I also encourage everyone to submit at least one block. You can eliminate (discreetly) your name from the drawing if you don't want another project or don't care for the design.

Thanks for posting the upcoming blocks-it especially helps me shop, as I have a limited stash and time.

• Related Discussions

February Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (54)
    1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received) 2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received) 3. Patti60 -3 (Received) 4. Woodenzoo -1 (here) 5. Calliope -3 (Received) 6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received) 7. Magothyrivergirl -3 8. Solstice98 -3 (Received) 9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received) 10.Itsmesuzq -3 11.Micyrey -3 (Received) 12.Wynative -1 13.Judylee59 -3 Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

April Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (76)
    1. Solstice98 - 3 (Received) 2. Polardream - 2 (Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - 3 (Received) 4. Mary_c - 3 (Received) 5. Caroline1947 - 3 6. Cziga - 2 (Received) 7. Poldiceann - 2-3 8. Micyrey - 3 (Received) 9. Woodenzoo - 2 (Here) 10.Judylee59 - 3 (Received) 11.Patti60 - 2 (Received) 12.Paulah-gardener - 2 (Received) 13.Wynative - 2 14.Vicky4x4 - 1 (Received) 15.Bonnie_nmi - 3 (Received) 16.Calliope - 2 (Received) 17.Agoldencomet - 2 Paula, your pretty blocks arrived! Thanks! Goldie, those are wonderful blocks! Thanks for letting me know they are on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

May Lotto Block Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (38)
    I have the same situation Mary. I have had mail go faster to England than across the same state to a friend I correspond with. I hosted the lotto for a while when Woodenzoo was taking a little hiatus and know we have some strict guidelines as to having the pieces arrive by the end of the month. But, that being said if they do arrive tomorrow and the postmark shows they were mailed that long ago, I certainly wouldn't object to waiting until the post arrives tomorrow to pull names. That's a lot of work and effort to have it mucked up by the mails.
    ...See More

June Lotto Block.......sign up here

Q

Comments (72)
    agoldencomet...........your package arrived today. I am just thrilled with the charming fabrics you have incorporated into the blocks. I was surprised when I saw what province this came from. One line of my family were Acadian. Salijo-2 received WoodenZoo-1 received and one bonus block! Calliope- 3 and they're done Magothyrivergirl-3 received Patti60-2 received bonnie nmi-3 received solstice98-3 received mary c-3 received polardream-2 received paulah-gardener -3 received Poldiceann-1 received agoldencomet-3 received Nana2009-3
    ...See More
  • cindykg23
    14 years ago

Count me in! I'll do 3, once I get started I just keep going! LOVE that you posted the list of future blocks. Sometimes when I have a little time it's nice to have a little project to go with it:)

~Cindy

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, I'm glad so many of you like the block I selected! I guess it would be kind of a good thing to sign up for this one, too, right? I don't know how many yet. Let's see how the next couple of weeks goes, but count me in.

Odessa

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -

Welcome aboard ladies!
    Cathy

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Sign me up for 3!

I'm pretty sure I still have your address, Cathy, but if you could shoot me an email to confirm it, I'd appreciate it.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3

Welcome aboard Mary! Email has been sent.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• User
    14 years ago

Count me in for 3. I have the first cut and about 3/4 sewn together. The white on blue is WOW! Very striking!

• User
    14 years ago

Got the first block done for February. Picture is in Gallery photos,link below. It's shown again possible red sashing or a navy & white check, with navy secondary binding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feb Block pic

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pic

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I'm in for 3 , I love stars
    I'm gonna start them tonight
    great choice
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3
    Kay_in_pa - 3
    Micyrey - 3

Welcome Kay and Michelle!
    Kay, your block looks great!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Mary and Michelle, your pretty blocks arrived yesterday!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• solstice98
    14 years ago

One done, the second one cut and fabric picked for the third. This block comes out so sharp and pretty!

Kate

• User
    14 years ago

Hubby is taking the 3 blocks to the post office today. This one was quite fun to make!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Mine go in the mail today too. The block looks complicated but goes together quickly and easily. This will be a beautiful quilt!

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received)
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Kay, your pretty blocks arrived yesterday.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

My 3 blocks are done - & going to the PO Tues (holiday tomorrow, ladies - no mail delivery) Yea!! one day w/no bills coming!

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solstice98 - 3 (Received)
    Magothyrivergirl -
    Quiltpartner - 3
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received)
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Kate your blocks arrived today. You wrapped them so pretty, I didn't unwrap to look. ;) LOL
    Cathy

• solstice98
    14 years ago

You can leave them wrapped; I promise the seams are aligned and the points are pointy!

Thanks for letting me know they arrived.

Kate

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

finally mailing today! - Mon no mail service due to holiday, Tues couldn't get out due to snow! I'm loving to watch the birds outside my window, esp the deep red cardinals against the white snow---------but enough of the white stuff already!! I need spring!!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Cathy - I'm out - sorry......life, actually back to back historic blizzards - got in the way. Between all the shoveling and forced delays on a job project - I couldn't get them done. It is a great block and there should be enough blocks for the winner to make a nice quilt. My apologies........I'm slinking over to the Applique Lotto now............:-(

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

CAthy,
    I'm in for two. Will be mailing as soon as I get your addy. Glad everyone likes this block (it really does look tougher than it is!).

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quiltpartner - 3 (Received)
    Odessaquilts -
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received)
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Cindy, your pretty blocks arrived earlier this week. Sorry I didn't let you know right away, it's been another hectic week here.
    Marsha, sorry you won't be joining us this month, but certainly understand how this weather is affecting everyone! Hope that spring arrives soon for you!
    Odessa, sent you an e-mail.
    I'll work on my block this weekend. I can't believe that I haven't gotten it finished yet!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Odessaquilts - 2 (Received)
    Woodenzoo -
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received)
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Odessa, your pretty blocks arrived this afternoon.

I should be done in time to send out to the winner. ;)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Odessaquilts - 2 (Received)
    Mary_c - 3 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 3 (Received)
    Micyrey - 3 (Received)

Ack! My block didn't turn out right!
    How did all of you manage to get two and three of these done?
    I've done a similar block before and had the same terrible outcome.
    (Does everyone just have a block that doesn't want to go together for them?
    This would seem to be the one for me!)
    I don't think I'm going to send this one and I'm not sure if I'll be able
    to get a good one completed before I need to send out.
    If anyone is brave enough to take a look and has any advice, I would so appreciate it.
    I'd really love to conquer this block.
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Feb. lotto fiasco

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Cathy, did you cut diagonals before you pieced? I didn't do that. Instead I laid (two) squares on the rectangle, sewed on the diagonal, then trimmed off the waste. Maybe if we knew how you assembled it we could help.

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate, I did the (two) squares on the rectangle as the directions stated and as you described. I also sewed the 'bonus' triangles before cutting off the waste, but am sure that didn't have anything to do with it.
    Once I had the rectangles done, I could tell there was something 'off' about them and next to the two square piece, they were shorter and either wider or narrower. Maybe when I pressed the seams, I stretched it without realizing it?
    Cathy

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I'm baffled. Maybe it was the pressing but that shouldn't have made that much of a difference. Maybe you were right: it's just not your block! LOL

I didn't sew the smaller bonus triangles on these because I didn't have a good use for them right now, but I did save the pieces.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Cathy, I can't imagine what the problem was here. I assume you somehow marked the diagonal on the squares, yes? That you lined up the edges of the squares with the edges of the rectangles, yes? That everything seemed to be cut accurately? Then I guess you somehow must have stretched that diagonal, but how you managed to do that is a mystery to me!

I do agree, however, that there are just some blocks that seem to baffle the maker, no matter when you try them or how slowly you work. There are just some that do not want to be a part of your portfolio, and perhaps this is one of them for you. It is an easy block (well, I thought so , anyway), but I can see you had a little difficulty with it.

Perhaps you didn't leave the right kind of cookies out for the block fairy? You know, she is a testy sort, sometimes, and if you don't leave her what she wants, she will NOT come and help you correct a stray block no matter how much you need the help! [Maybe try again later, when you don't have anything else to do and you can work at a slug's pace? Just a thought.....]

Odessa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Cathy, I am going to take a big huge stab at your problem - looking at it purely from an analytical, new piecer standpoint (as I do with all my work) I think the problems may be a combination of what you are doing- that because of the many seams, exponentially result in the block being to small in different areas. From my experience- please don't be offended if you know & already do this- these hints solved most of my problems.

* you may be stretching the diagonal when you mark it - try laying it on a fine grit pc of sandpaper & mark it lightly with a fine pencil accurately. Now stitch it a thread width from the line - use an open toe presser foot if you have one - not the 1/4" with the little fence. Go ahead & sew the bonus - then cut between the 2 with scissors to avoid stretching with the rotary cutter if that's possible.

*(Ricky Tims says) Press the stitches on the seam side and flip the piece up to the right side and press again (I like to add a shot of steam w/out moving the iron)

*Use fine pins to match those points and seams - I find that if the center points are off - the block gets shortened and I lose the 1/4" at the outside.
    The more seams in the block - the worse it is off -as if that too little thread width in the beginning keeps negatively multiplying (You can tell, I'm not a mathematician).

Your block is pretty - everyone has helped me immensely on this forum, and I hope some newbie, simpleton suggestions from me are helpful. As a seamstress, I want to produce the best work and I strive for exactness, so when I had some problems with a similar block, I read and read and this is what I came up with that solved the problem.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Oh, I just thought of something! Maybe this is what happened:
    - You sewed the diagonals from point to point, with your needle in the center position, just like you were supposed to.
    - Then when you sewed some of the pieces together, you forgot to adjust the needle to an 1/4" setting so ended up doing some seams at 5/8" because the needle was still in the center position.

Could that be it? If you've checked all of your seam allowances with a ruler and they are all 1/4", then the pieces must have been cut a little wonky.

Ooooorrrr (she says, still thinking of ways it could have happened), maybe you laid the squares on the triangle, then sewed 1/4" from the diagonal line instead of on the diagonal? That would have thrown it off too. Your bonus square should have been much smaller than the piece left on the block.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

MRG-good suggestion to put the square on fine grit sandpaper to mark the diagonal, have used that occasionally myself. But I found that by just folding a square in half on the diagonal, and CAREFULLY pressing without distorting the straight (albeit bias) line that results, I don't need to mark in any other way. This has helped me to piece those diagonals I will eventually be cutting away more accurately. (No drag from any kind of a marking tool: pencil, wheel, chalk wheel, etc.) to distort the fabric and possibly the line I should be following.

All these suggestions are good; hopefully one of them will help!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH