SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

June Lotto Block.......sign up here

calliope
14 years ago

The lotto Block for June shall be Buckeye Beauty. This is another pattern to clean out those fabric scrap bins. It's a twelve inch block (finishes at 12.5 inches) and easy enough for a beginner, yet looks fancy when pieced.

We'll be using white or WOW instead of the neutral tans the pattern suggests, since most quilters have whites on-hand and the object of this month's choice is to keep using down your on-hands

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, along with your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks!

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner. Blocks need to reach me no later than June 30th to be entered.

This month's winner will be drawn on July 1st.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckeye Beauty

Comments (72)

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie and Patti, I just emailed you my postal address through your member pages. If you don't receive them, shoot me an email through mine and give me your email address and I'll send it that way.

Thanks and good luck all. I have my three done already and I'll get a snapshot of them, so you can see the blocks shoved together and how they work with one another. I like it and may have to make a quilt of this one.

• polardream
    14 years ago

Put me down for 2 ... now that school is out I think I can squeeze that in inbetween trips.
    Sue

• Related Discussions

March Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (41)
    i signed up first but looks like i'm the last to mail. this last month has been something else. we moved my mom into a retirment place really nice. most was on me. my family helped where they could. put my mom's condo up for sale and it got flooded. was the fault of the people above her. a real mess a lot lost carpet, cabnits, flooring. bathroom, hall, living room and kitchen. will have mine in the mail monday. so sorry to be last.
    ...See More

May Lotto Block Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (38)
    I have the same situation Mary. I have had mail go faster to England than across the same state to a friend I correspond with. I hosted the lotto for a while when Woodenzoo was taking a little hiatus and know we have some strict guidelines as to having the pieces arrive by the end of the month. But, that being said if they do arrive tomorrow and the postmark shows they were mailed that long ago, I certainly wouldn't object to waiting until the post arrives tomorrow to pull names. That's a lot of work and effort to have it mucked up by the mails.
    ...See More

July Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (75)
    1.irishdancersgram 2 block RECEIVED 2.woodsy 2 blocks RECEIVED 3.bettyatp 3 blocks RECEIVED 4.abbigail1952 3 blocks RECEIVED 5.new2quilting 1 block RECEIVED 6.amazingcm 3 blocks RECEIVED 7.sew_self-taught 2 blocks RECEIVED 8.lyndawn 3 blocks 8.marty_mo 2 blocks RECEIVED 10.dmsgal RECEIVED 11.vicky4x4 RECEIVED 12.patti60 1 block RECEIVED That's okay Dorothy things happen! So we are just waiting on Lynndawn blocks! Red
    ...See More

August Block Lotto Sign Ups

Q

Comments (55)
    sign ups: 1.vicky4x4 2 block RECEIVED 2 irishdancersgram 2 blocks RECEIVED 3.woodsy 2 blocks RECEIVED 4.patti60 2 blocks RECEIVED 5.abbigail1952 3 blocks RECEIVED 6.amazingcm 3 blocks RECEIVED 7.marty_mo 2 blocks RECEIVED 8.dmsgal 1 block RECEIVED 9.tuppermom 3 blocks RECEIVED 10.dragongoddess 3 blocks RECEIVED 11.Clarion5 3 blocks RECEIVED
    ...See More
  • patti60
    14 years ago

got your address will mail in a couple day's.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Sign me up for 3. I cut them yesterday and started piecing. They'll finish up quickly.

This is a cute block and goes together so fast!

Kate

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard, Kate! It is a fun little block, isn't it? Got you added to the roster and I'll shoot off my mailing address. Good luck.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Calliope- 3
    Poldiceann-1 (maybe more)
    agoldencomet-trying for 3
    Magothyrivergirl-(quantity later)
    Patti60-2
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Calliope,

I wasn't sure I would have time this month, but I got 3 done today. Sign me up! I still have your address, so I'll get them in the mail this week.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary C, I'm thrilled you found the time to participate this month. Since they're large blocks, we are quickly reaching enough to make a full sized quilt, so somebody shall have a little windfall. That's great. Thanks.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Calliope- 3 and they're done
    Patti60-2
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3
    mary c-3

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Finished my 3 today and will get them in the mail tomorrow!
    This is one of those blocks that's just as easy to make a few as it is to make one. Once you start cutting and sewing it just pops together.

Kate

• patti60
    14 years ago

mine went in to the mail few days ago.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received two sets of blocks today and just opened them. patti60, yours got here safe and sound. Loving your choice of fabrics, they're darling and you did a beautiful job.

The other set, please help me out. I 'think' I know what member these came from, but there was no forum member name inside and I want to make sure I give the right person credit. Susan in Colorado it's from you and you're Polar Dream, no? Again, these are beautiful blocks and a lovely job assembling them, too. If so, I missed putting your name on the list and I'm sorry. I'm still in my busy season and I'm flaky anyway.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3
    mary c-3
    polardream-2 received

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Hi calliope - hope your "busy season is a profitable season!" I think you are a grower/distributor - am I correct?
    I need your zipcode -You left off the zipcode when you emailed your address to me. But you did include USA :)

I have 3 Blocks to send! I also pressed the seams open like Woodenzoo with good results.

Just a note - your decision as hostess:
    No calicoes - if you think they my blocks too themey, don't fit in, don't include them in the drawing, but you can forward them to the winner.
    When I won the Bowtie Block Lotto - I eliminated my own blocks - they didn't fit in with the rest of the fabrics - LOL- I admit, my stash is just beginning and my tastes seem to be different, and I have a hard time with the "scrappy''- I just can't seem to let go of the coordinating colors & fabrics!

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mago......you said "I have a hard time with the "scrappy''- I just can't seem to let go of the coordinating colors & fabrics!" Believe me, I think we all go through this. I really was apprehensive when I finished the scrappy quilt my mother had in her closet when she passed away. I had to take it on faith that it would all work out when it was done, and it did. That is what gives it a true old fashioned charm. I liked it so well, I did another one for my g'daughter and it's prolly the fav quilt I've done so far.

Scrappy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when the blocks are sashed and bound and finished off, it comes together. I'm sure they'll be fine, and unless you have jack o' lanterns and Santas on yours, they'll be a 'go'. I'll be looking for them. Zip is 43701 Thanks, Suzy

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Magothyrivergirl-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3
    mary c-3
    polardream-2 received

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I still struggle with scrappy! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I decided last year that I would work at overcoming my design compulsion. LOL It hasn't been easy but it has been rewarding. These lottos each month have been the best thing I've done to break out of my comfort zone.

Kate

• polardream
    14 years ago

Suzy,
    Yes, Susan in Colorado is polardream - and I have been an airhead the last couple weeks! Sorry I forgot to put my name inside ... Did I at least put a return address label on them???
    SORRY!!!
    Sue - polardream (aka Susan in Colorado) ;)

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You sure did and no problem, especially since I missed even getting you on the list. We got the job done. LOL.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today Mary C's blocks arrived. My, but she does immaculate work! Love your fabric choices. Beautiful blocks, Mary!

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Magothyrivergirl-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Ah, gee, thanks Suzy!

They're there already?? Amazing - the letters I send family in CA usually take 10 days.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The eagle flew by again today and dropped another package. This is like Christmas! Solstice98's blocks are here safe and sound. What really neat fabrics she chose, very unique and creative. Why doesn't that surprise me? Again, a lovely collection of blocks. I hope whomever wins this lotto shares a picture of everyone's interpretations. I'm having a ball with this one, and it's one reason I wanted a stash user pattern, to peek into other people's stashes, LOL.

There is still plenty of time to make and send a block or two, if anyone is toying with the idea. Thank you Solstice.

The updated list:

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Magothyrivergirl-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received

• nana_2009
    14 years ago

I would like to try this one...count me in for 3 maybe 4. Val.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Val. I'll add your name for three blocks. We are following the established guidelines, so there won't be any confusion with the changing of the guards of hostesses to the lotto. Three is the limit for which you'll receive a chance to win. If you submit three, you'll get three chances. Welcome aboard, and I'll send you my postal address via your member email. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Magothyrivergirl-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Nana2009-3

Blocks must arrive by the 31st to be eligible for the drawing.

• woodenzoo
    14 years ago

Mine will be on the way Monday (hopefully).
    Cathy

• salijo
    14 years ago

I have my two blocks finished and they will most likely be mailed out early next week.
    Salijo

• nana_2009
    14 years ago

Thanks Calliope...I hadn't really looked at the rules for the Lotto yet...my three will be out by next week...coming from Canada will take a little more time but should be there...will also send more $$ since it has to come Cdn

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nana, I've sent you an email.

• poldiceann
    14 years ago

Hi, mine will be in the mail tomorrow, Monday. Hope its okay. Only had time for the one this month, garden is taking over!!!! Ann

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I took my 3 blocks to the post office today (Monday). Hopefully you will get them in a few days.
    Thanks!

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

My three blocks are done!!

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost your address, calliope. So I have sent you an email requesting it. As soon as I get it, I'll put the blocks in the mail.

Early!! A first for me LOL!!

goldie

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Numbers are adjusted, and thanks for the heads up, ladies. I'll be watching for the blocks.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Poldiceann-1
    agoldencomet-3
    Magothyrivergirl-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Nana2009-3

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Magothyrivergirl...........your package arrived today. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to send in three blocks. All that worry over whether your material would be suitable? Your choices were charming, and in my mind's eye just exactly right for this type of quilt! You had some really unique patterns. You make the transition from canvas to quilt blocks look effortless. ;-)

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Poldiceann-1
    agoldencomet-3
    Magothyrivergirl-3 received
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Nana2009-3

• paulah_gardener
    14 years ago

Please sign me up for 3. Paula

• bonnie_nmi
    14 years ago

My three blocks went in the mail this morning. They should reach you in a couple of days.

Bonnie

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

calliope - Thanks for your kind words & most importantly your assurance that the fabrics are suitable. It's that fussy cut / pleasing color arrangement hang up I have. I literally spent more time choosing the fabrics trying to be scrappy than I spent sewing!:) Next time, maybe I will close my eyes to choose - or better yet ask DH to choose.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paula, you are added to the roster.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1
    Poldiceann-1
    agoldencomet-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Nana2009-3
    paulah-gardener -3

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Eagle flew by again today and dropped off a package from Woodenzoo. Hey Cathy......I got it right this time! She tucked in a bonus block too! Her bonus block is better than my best block. LOL. They're precious, Cathy. Thanks.

Salijo-2
    WoodenZoo-1 received and one bonus block!
    Poldiceann-1
    agoldencomet-3
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Nana2009-3
    paulah-gardener -3

• salijo
    14 years ago

I mailed my two blocks today. I'm just in the next state, so you should get them early next week!
    Salijo

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Salijo-2 received
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3 received
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    paulah-gardener -3 received
    Nana2009-3
    Poldiceann-1
    agoldencomet-3

More packages arrived today with quilt blocks. Paula-gardener's three. Salijo's two. And Bonnie nmi's three. I am so priveledged to get a sneak preview of this month's goodies. I'm lumping the comments together because all three packs have the same thing in common. Really great fabric combinations and lovely workmanship. Thank you ladies for contributing toward this month's lotto. It's going to make one snappy quilt.

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

Another question...

Does one person get all the blocks? What exactly happens to all the blocks when a person wins the Lotto?

Are the blocks given so a complete quilt might be made? Or whatever the winner wants to make...right?

Deb

• salijo
    14 years ago

Yes Deb, participants each pay a dollar to "play the lotto" and submit between 1 and 3 blocks. For each block submitted, your name gets put into a drawing. One lucky winner takes all for whatever purpose she (or he) chooses.

Salijo

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Eagle didn't deliver a lotto block this morning, a sea gull did, from clear across the great pond! Poldiceann's package arrived safe and sound. She had some very pretty florals in it, and a lovely WOW background I've not seen before. Nice contribution, Ann.

Salijo-2 received
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3 received
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Poldiceann-1 received
    Nana2009-3
    agoldencomet-3

• solstice98
    14 years ago

What a great turnout this month! There will be enough blocks here for a nice quilt.

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Mine have been in the mail since last Thursday - so they should be arriving any day now.

goldie

• poldiceann
    14 years ago

Hi, glad the pigeon arrived safely and that you liked the block - sorry there was only one, but i am a bit bogged down at the moment with other things i.e. voluntary driving!!
    I think this is going to be a lovely quilt.
    Ann

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

agoldencomet...........your package arrived today. I am just thrilled with the charming fabrics you have incorporated into the blocks. I was surprised when I saw what province this came from. One line of my family were Acadian.

Salijo-2 received
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3 received
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Poldiceann-1 received
    agoldencomet-3 received
    Nana2009-3

• nana_2009
    14 years ago

Hi Calliope...will have to bck out of block lotto...had an unexpected trip to hosp. with a mild heart attack.. unable to get blocks done...hopefully will be able to participate next time...Val

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Hi, calliope,

So glad you like the fabrics! I usually take photos of anything I make, including the swap blocks. But this time I forgot - so I don't know what I used LOL.
    I have been quilting only a few years so my personal scrap bin is limited. However, I get the left-overs from a teddy bear making club.

This was an interesting block to make.

goldie

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

goldie, if you want, I can take them out and snap a digital shot of it for you. I always try to take a pic of the blocks I make too. You don't think you'll forget, but I do. LOL.

Nana, I am so sorry about your health issue. I am glad it was a mild one, and relieved to see you online. Not a problem at all as far as the Lotto is concerned. Feel free to participate in another one down the line, if you'd like.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Calliope- take one of my blocks and put nana's name on it for the drawing. Maybe that block will be the "lucky" block ~lol~ and bring nana some good luck.
    nana - Hoping you feel better and have a speedy recovery.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a great idea, Mago and very generous of you. I can do that.

• nana_2009
    14 years ago

Mago...thanks so much for your generousity...I am unable to climb stairs for awhile...and of course sewing room is in the upstairs converted attic...as is all my fabrics etc. Hope I will be able to return the favour at a later date...Val

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Salijo-2 received
    Magothyrivergirl-2 received
    Patti60-2 received
    bonnie nmi-3 received
    solstice98-3 received
    mary c-3 received
    polardream-2 received
    Poldiceann-1 received
    agoldencomet-3 received
    Nana2009-1

We are all in, and all done, Ladies at thirty blocks. Good luck on Wednesday.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor