SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

January Block Lotto Sign-ups

woodenzoo
15 years ago

Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks in a baggie, please remember to put your real name, address, and FORUM name inside the baggie.

It's expected that all material used in the lottos be 100% cotton. If you have kitties or doggies who may share your sewing space, or are a smoker, it is also asked that you sponge the piece out so that anyone getting them doesn't have allergy issues. And please, do not perfume/scent your blocks nor use gummed labels on the blocks.

Please include one dollar to cover the postage and costs of packaging materials for sending on to the winner.

The winner will be drawn on February 1st.

This month's block is Card Trick. This block is a little more challenging than those we've been doing lately.

Let's do a 10" (10 1/2" unfinished) regular or paper pieced block, in 4 different bright/bold colors (print or solid) with a solid black background.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Follow the directions for cutting on the link below, except for Steps 3 and 4, just cut one square of 4 different fabrics. You will be using only two of the small triangles per color.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Card Trick

Comments (44)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Great choice! I'm in for 2.

Kate

• calliope
    15 years ago

I am so tickled you are doing this one, as I love it.....and always wanted to try it. These should end up pretty dramatic with your fabric choices. I intend to submit three, so put me down now. I may come back whining and pleading to be cut back, LOL. But I'm giving it a shot.

• Related Discussions

March Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (41)
    i signed up first but looks like i'm the last to mail. this last month has been something else. we moved my mom into a retirment place really nice. most was on me. my family helped where they could. put my mom's condo up for sale and it got flooded. was the fault of the people above her. a real mess a lot lost carpet, cabnits, flooring. bathroom, hall, living room and kitchen. will have mine in the mail monday. so sorry to be last.
    ...See More

April-May Paper Pieced Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (29)
    Petalpatsy - 1 (Received) Magothyrivergirl - Calliope - 2 (Received) Woodenzoo - 1 Lafonda_ranch - Tuppermom - Kay_in_pa - 1 Last weekend was a bear! I'll get started on it today while it's too hot and sunny for me to work out in the yard. It really doesn't look that time consuming and I think I'll be able to get it done quickly. How is everyone else coming along with this one? Cathy
    ...See More

June Lotto Block.......sign up here

Q

Comments (72)
    agoldencomet...........your package arrived today. I am just thrilled with the charming fabrics you have incorporated into the blocks. I was surprised when I saw what province this came from. One line of my family were Acadian. Salijo-2 received WoodenZoo-1 received and one bonus block! Calliope- 3 and they're done Magothyrivergirl-3 received Patti60-2 received bonnie nmi-3 received solstice98-3 received mary c-3 received polardream-2 received paulah-gardener -3 received Poldiceann-1 received agoldencomet-3 received Nana2009-3
    ...See More

New September block Lotto sign ups

Q

Comments (42)
    Oh gosh, Kate, I hope I didn't influence you then when I said it was soooooo easy and I had so much fun with it. ;-) I think we all gravitate to certain types of quilting we find 'clicks' with our styles and this one did with me. It was like a very easy form of paper piecing because you don't have to work in the reverse, and I like paper piecing anyway. You just have to keep thinking a couple of moves ahead, like in chess so you don't paint yourself into corners. It's a little easier if one constructs sort of 'sub block assemblies with straight edges and then sews a few of those together, instead of working on it piece by little piece. If anyone is interested in making crazy quilts, but doesn't want to mess with the planning end of it, there are some really easy patterns for it, so you just cut/sew/piece without having to work on a foundation......and they're prolly on Quilter's Cache. The results are a little more predictable, but if you rotate the different patterns and use different materials, they should still be hard to tell it was done this way. Now, I could NEVER do the type of work you did on the Pretty in Pink Challange!
    ...See More
  • Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I was interested in doing this but had a few questions.

dose one person get all the blocks?

and when do you want them sent in by?

I would probubly say I will do 1 or 2 since I have not done this one before, do you need to know how many right away?

thanks
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1-2
    4. Woodenzoo- 1

Michelle, I went ahead and put you down 'cause we'd love to have you join us! But if you find you do not want to, I can remove your name.
    To answer your questions, yes, one winner takes all.
    All blocks must arrive by Jan. 31st.
    And no, we don't have to know for sure how many you are in for.
    But please do let us know if you are in or not. I need to send you my address if you are in and aside from that, we just like to see how many members sign up and the approximate # of blocks one could win. ;)

Calliope, I couldn't decide if I wanted bold and black or pastels and white! (Or pastels and black or bold and white! LOL Decisions, decisions!)
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Okay - I am goint to try this one. I will say one and see how it turns out.....

Marie

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1-2
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Wynative- 1

I guess I had the advantage this month. I've got mine complete and ready to go.
    Cathy

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello all
    I'm gonna try and do my blocks this week, I'll let you know how it goes. but don't worry I will get in at least 1, this sounds like so much fun.
    michelle

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Cathy,
    Can you post a picture of the one you've completed? It might be inspiration for the rest of us!
    Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1-2
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Wynative- 1

Michelle, sending you an e-mail!

Kate, good suggestion!
    Here you go...

Sorry I didn't notice the thread bits on the red before I took the picture, but hope it inspires anyway! ;)
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Cathy,

Wow! that is sooo pretty! Mine are cut and ready to put together but my DH's dog (that 'D' doesn't stand for darling) ate my last 2 spools of quilting thread!! so I am waiting for my sister to bring more home more from Joann's and it is on sale :)

Marie

• polardream
    15 years ago

Cathy, I SWORE that I was NOT going to do another lotto until I finished some of the stuff I already have - then you go and pick one of my favorite blocks! I can't win - that wouldn't be fair ... but I will do 2 blocks! I love blacks & brights!
    Sue

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1-2
    4. Woodenzoo- 1
    5. Polardream- 2

Marie, I know that the dog isn't so 'dear' to you atm, but I hope he didn't really 'eat' the thread! LOL I am so paranoid about my dogs and especially the cat getting a hold of my threads and causing serious problems with their digestive systems. Hope the dog is ok and you have forgiven him!
    Sue, I know what you mean! I'm preparing to sell my house and clearing things out for a storage unit and trying to get down to only one rolling storage bin of fabrics to keep in the house. I've got fabric cut for several projects and for Feb and Mar.'s lotto blocks and now I'm thinking of April's that I want to cut now also. So I hope no more new projects come up because once the 'extra' bins of fabric are in storage, I hope that I don't just go out and buy more since it may be easier than digging it out of storage! ;)
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Are we trying to stick to the primary colors or will any brights do?

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any bright or bold colors will do.
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Cathy,

I am sorry but please remove me from this month's lotto :( On Saturday I sewed, riped, sewed, riped, sewed and riped for almost 5 hours on my block. I threw that mess away and moved on to a couple birthday blocks - they turned out great :) Sunday.... recut, sew, rip, sew, rip and the end results were AWFUL still!! I will not lay flat and nothing will line up.... I took a picture but am to embarassed to share it.

From now on I will make the block and if it turn's out I will enter. Sorry about this.

Good luck ladies LOL
    Marie

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Marie, don't feel bad! Sewing along the diagonal is hard because the fabric stretches. This would be easier if you were making lots of blocks because you could sew two at once, then make the diagonal cut. That helps to control the distortion.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, so sorry you had so much trouble with this block. Don't feel bad, it's not the easiest block around.
    I paper pieced my block and I think that helped a little with keeping the fabric from stretching too much.
    Solstice is right, making two HST's out of one square makes it a lot easier too, but I can't remember the formula to get the desired sized HST's...
    I think you will like the blocks for the next couple of months though, so I hope to see you back in the game for them. I'm sure you will have much better luck with them.
    Cathy

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

I would love to join in but i live in the U.K. - is it possible - it is one of my favorite blocks. Please let me know

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    sorry you are having trouble marie, I worked on mine last week and the 1st one came out at only 10 inches not the
    10 1/2 required
    so I moved my needle over and the 2nd came out ok, but I did have to rip out a few times.
    so you can put me down for sending 1
    I'll get it off to you next week

thanks
    michelle

• solstice98
    15 years ago

For those having trouble with the diagonal stretching while sewing: try using a little spray starch on your fabric when you iron it before you cut it out. It will stabilize it just enough and help the pieces stick together a little while stitching. (An old trick from an old quilter!)

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Polardream- 2

Annabelle, please send me an e-mail. I think we can add you to the list...
    Kate, thanks for the tip on the starch. Hadn't even given it a thought...
    Cathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Starch? - ooooh this is a great idea :)

making two HST's out of one square? - not sure what HST stands for but I think I will try this if it is where you sew 2 squares together then cut them apart. I am sure it wont come out as 10 1/2" but this is driving me crazy and I am going to try again just for me own peace of mind LOL

I am looking forward to the future months :)
    Marie
    PS
    The dog is a garbage gut and she is fine.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Here's the instructions for HST - half square triangles. You have to cut two squares (one of each color) a little larger than the finished square - add 7/8" to the finished size of the square. Put the squares right sides together and draw a line from corner to corner on one side. Sew 1/4" on either side of that line. Then you cut on the line. Presto! You have 2 lovely square made! And you didn't have to deal with the stretchy diagonal.
    Cool, huh?

See the attached link for a much better description than I just gave you and pictures too.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: easy half square triangles

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I made a couple of these blocks last night and have to admit that I messed up the first one. A little seam ripping and it all worked out OK though. That's what I get for not reading the directions! Once I paid attention to how the triangles went together, the second block went pretty fast.

I did use some spray starch and I'm sure that helped.

It was fun to try something new and I think this is going to make a truly cute quilt.

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 2
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Polardream- 2
    6. Annabelle1941- ?

Updated the list.

Thanks Kate! 7/8th's was what I thought, but since I wasn't sure...
    Cathy

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

thanks for letting me join in. i cut my fabric yesterday and what i do is lay it all out on an old pillow case to see if it all fits, have had a few problems, but think i am now there and ready to sew. So put me down for one - if i get inspired i may do another one. Hopefully will go in the post on Monday. Have fun.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Done! I'll be putting 3 (not 2) in the mail to you on Monday.

Annabelle, welcome to the lotto! I'm so glad you joined in and I think you'll enjoy working on this one. I like your idea of laying it all out before you start sewing. I do that too, but sometimes get confused between the table and the sewing machine. I really need to pin more often so I sew the right seam! LOL

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    2. Calliope- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Polardream- 2
    6. Annabelle1941- 1

I hope the only problem has been with the half square triangles (HST) stretching and not the instructions or my color changes. Though, when I paper pieced this, I had to write the color by each number to keep it straight, so I can only imagine how difficult it may be to piece it together without a color printout on hand.
    I agree with Kate though, it is fun to try something new. I think that these blocks would look great in table runners, placemats, pillows or as a wall hanging.
    Cathy

• calliope
    15 years ago

Wynative, if it makes you feel any better, I my first one is a reject too. Your directions were perfect, Cathy. I thought I did everything just right, and the block was beautiful. But, when I measured it, it was a full one inch too large in height as well as breadth. So, I cut a stencil out on a gridded paper and measured the triangles I'd already cut and they were spot on.

I figures it just had to be in not getting a good quarter inch seam and that's where the problem was. I had lost my marker and was one digit shy. Just that teensy difference over all those seams adds up. You can get away with that if there are only a seam or two in a block, but the error gets compounded for each seam you sew, and this one has a lot of seams, if you stop to think about it. The second one I made was lots better and the third is spot on. So I shall make a fourth and send the last three.

I always seem to have more difficulty with black backgrounds because I have excellent day light quality, but no matter how much light I have at night, or where it's located, it's hard for me to work with at night. It's like staring into an endless pit. LOL. I do have some vision deficiency in the dark tonal ranges. They all look black to me.

I also switched black materials from a homespun looser weave to a stiffer, shinier black cotton with some reflection and more body and it helped tremendously.

My husband walked into the sewing room, took one look at the blocks and says WOW! I LIKE THOSE! So, I hope a few more people join in because it's going to make an awesome quilt for people who like drama.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Cathy, just went out in a snowstorm to post my blocks. I noticed when I got to the post office window the label wasn't wanting to stick and the window clerk put some tape across it, but not nearly as securely as I would have done. So, please keep a look out for them and let me know if they don't get there within a week.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I'll get my block in the mail tomarrow
    I was thinking about doing another one but just don't think I'll have the time
    thanks
    michelle

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Calliope and Michelle for letting me know. I'll post an update when they arrive.

Calliope, I hope you didn't brave the snowstorm just to mail the lotto blocks!
    Michelle, I just realized that I only cut fabric for one block for next months lotto. I usually try for two so that if for some reason the first block doesn't turn out right, I'll have a quick start on the second one and if they both turn out well, then I can include them both.
    Does anyone else have a 'system' for doing the lotto (or Birthday) blocks?

Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    2. Calliope- 3 (Received)
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Polardream- 2
    6. Annabelle1941- 1

Calliope, your blocks arrived safe and sound this afternoon. ;)
    Cathy

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

I posted mine by airmail yesterday so hopefully the pigeon will fly fast enough to get it to you on time. I really enjoyed this block and am looking forward to more monthly challenges. We dont have any snow but it has been cold and wet the for the last week or so, this morning the sun is shining but it is still cold.
    Ann

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm still working on replacing my burned squares but hope to get to it this weekend. If I don't I'll just send the one that wasn't damaged, but still hoping to send 3.

Kate

• polardream
    15 years ago

I finished my 2 last night & will post them today.
    Sue

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    5. Polardream- 2 (Received)
    6. Annabelle1941- 1

Sue, that was quick! Your blocks arrived yesterday afternoon. :)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    6. Annabelle1941- 1

Guess I should have waited for the mail to arrive before posting earlier...
    Ann, your block arrived today. Talk about arriving quickly! :)
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    6. Annabelle1941- 1 (Received)

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Solstice98- 3
    3. Micyrey- 1 (Received)
    4. Woodenzoo- 1 (Here)
    6. Annabelle1941- 1 (Received)

I wasn't expecting the mail to make it today with all of this ice and snow we have, but Michelle, your block arrived this afternoon. :)
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm never going to get mine there in time so let's do this:
    don't put my name in for the drawing and whoever wins will get my blocks too. I'll just send them directly to the winner (if that's OK with them). my business trip ended up starting a day sooner than expected and then with the bad weather in DC it ended up lasting a day longer due to flight delays.

Sorry...

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate, so sorry to hear that.
    I'll send you an e-mail.
    Cathy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Never mind! I spoke too soon! I gave it a try tonight and was able to fix one of the blocks easily. I'll only be sending 2 but I'll get them sent off tomorrow. If they don't get to Cathy by the 31st, then they still shouldn't count for the drawing, but at least she'll be able to send them along with all the other blocks because I'm positive they'll be there by the 1st or 2nd.

Kate

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kate!
    You know, I've been getting packages really quickly this month, so they just may make it in time for the drawing.
    I'll keep an eye out for them. :)
    Cathy

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996