SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

September's Lotto Block sign up here

calliope
14 years ago

I thought the title to the thread on which I started the block lotto for this month might be confusing, so I'm cleaning it up and re-posting the place to sign up if you would like to join this month's block lotto.

The winner will receive all the blocks sent in by this month's participants. We are using Aunt Dinah this month from McCall's Quilting free patterns, and Magothyriver girl trialed it out to see if it would be appropriate for all skill levels and gave it a thumbs up. Here is the block she did:

We will be doing them in pairs. You make two blocks, and on the second block you reverse the fabric and put the black print where the white print went, and vice versa. Keep the center fabric the same for the blocks in the pair and try to use something bright without patterns. It should read true to whatever colour you have picked.

Your name shall be thrown in the hat once for each pair submitted. Please mail your completed entries to me in a plastic baggie to protect them in transit along with your name and address(and forum name) and one dollar to be used toward postage to mail the stash to the winner. You can submit up to three entries (three pair or six blocks). We'll draw a name out of the hat on the last day of September. If your blocks arrive late, they'll be forwarded on to the winner, but you won't get a chance to be drawn.

This is a great way to use up any black and white scraps from the challenge and should make a really striking quilt. You've plenty of time to climb onboard and the more the merrier.

Calliope-one pair

Pouldiceann-one pair

Salijo-one pair

Magothyrivergirl-one pair

Hazelnutbunny-one pair

Odessa-two pair

Here is a link that might be useful: Aunt Dinah at McCall's Quilting

Comments (33)

• salijo
    14 years ago

Hey, I just found a picture of some really awesome Aunt Dinah quilts. They aren't done in the same color theme as what we are doing, but I think they are worth looking at. They are made in bright vivid colors and are just beautiful!

http://www.quilterscache.com/images26/vickisauntdinah.jpg

(Sorry, I don't know how to make that a link...you'll need to copy and paste it)
    Salijo

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here you go, Salijo.......hey that rhymes!

If you want to make a link, then instead of pasting the URL in the body of the message, you drop down to below the frame for your message, where it says Optional link URL and paste it there, then drop down one more box and give it a name.

That is an exciting example.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Related Discussions

February Block Lotto Sign Up

Q

Comments (54)
    1. Bonnie_nmi -3 (Received) 2. Caroline1947 -3 (Received) 3. Patti60 -3 (Received) 4. Woodenzoo -1 (here) 5. Calliope -3 (Received) 6. Annabelle1941 -2 (Received) 7. Magothyrivergirl -3 8. Solstice98 -3 (Received) 9. Paulah-gardener -3 (Received) 10.Itsmesuzq -3 11.Micyrey -3 (Received) 12.Wynative -1 13.Judylee59 -3 Michelle, yours arrived Friday. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours Judy. Thanks for letting me know it's on the way. Cathy
    ...See More

March Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (41)
    i signed up first but looks like i'm the last to mail. this last month has been something else. we moved my mom into a retirment place really nice. most was on me. my family helped where they could. put my mom's condo up for sale and it got flooded. was the fault of the people above her. a real mess a lot lost carpet, cabnits, flooring. bathroom, hall, living room and kitchen. will have mine in the mail monday. so sorry to be last.
    ...See More

May Lotto Block Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (38)
    I have the same situation Mary. I have had mail go faster to England than across the same state to a friend I correspond with. I hosted the lotto for a while when Woodenzoo was taking a little hiatus and know we have some strict guidelines as to having the pieces arrive by the end of the month. But, that being said if they do arrive tomorrow and the postmark shows they were mailed that long ago, I certainly wouldn't object to waiting until the post arrives tomorrow to pull names. That's a lot of work and effort to have it mucked up by the mails.
    ...See More

New September block Lotto sign ups

Q

Comments (42)
    Oh gosh, Kate, I hope I didn't influence you then when I said it was soooooo easy and I had so much fun with it. ;-) I think we all gravitate to certain types of quilting we find 'clicks' with our styles and this one did with me. It was like a very easy form of paper piecing because you don't have to work in the reverse, and I like paper piecing anyway. You just have to keep thinking a couple of moves ahead, like in chess so you don't paint yourself into corners. It's a little easier if one constructs sort of 'sub block assemblies with straight edges and then sews a few of those together, instead of working on it piece by little piece. If anyone is interested in making crazy quilts, but doesn't want to mess with the planning end of it, there are some really easy patterns for it, so you just cut/sew/piece without having to work on a foundation......and they're prolly on Quilter's Cache. The results are a little more predictable, but if you rotate the different patterns and use different materials, they should still be hard to tell it was done this way. Now, I could NEVER do the type of work you did on the Pretty in Pink Challange!
    ...See More
  • hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I have another question. I'm feeling VERY wet behind the ears today!
    I made a practice block for this, and took extra care to make sure my measurements were exact when I was cutting....and stitching the 1/4" seam. BUT, my finished block only measures 11.5" instead of the 12" it is supposed to.
    Help!
    Any idea what I might have done wrong? I usually don't have a problem with this, my blocks are usually pretty accurate. I think the most I've been off before was 1/4".

All things considered, though, I think it was a fairly easy block to assemble. It went much quicker & easier than I had thought. The triangles intimidated me at first. :O)

Melissa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The last time that happened to me, I noticed it had something to do with the quilting ruler and the 1/4 seam allowance not built in on one side of the template, but was on the other, lol. Since this block is essentially a nine patch consisting of nine smaller squares sewn together, each one of those individual blocks need to measure 4-1/2 inch before assembly. The finished block (even though it's referred to as a twelve inch block) should measure 12-1/2 inches on each direction.

My suggestion is to take your finished block, and measure the squares on your finished block. Your center block should measure out a true four inches. The four outside corner blocks should measure out a four and a quarter inche square. And the four central blocks should actually be rectangles with a four inch by four and a quarter inch size. This might tell you on which blocks you may have been having a challenge. I suspect it has something to do with being off on a triangle.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Even though I have a new machine and the 1/4" foot with the fence, my blocks used to be off about a 1/4". The more complex (more seams) the block, the more off it was. I read to sew the 1/4 " seam on graph paper or a lined index card to evaluate its accuracy. Yep- my seam was not measuring 1/4". I have to move my needle to the right to get the 1/4" seam. Once I made that needle adjustment, my blocks all measure what they are suppose to measure. Eleanor Burns also recommends sewing a thread distance away from the 1/4" to account for the folded fabric when pressing. I saw this on a very old program of hers recently.
    Melissa - your block measured 11.5" - a full 1" smaller. Follow what calliope has said. Also make sure you have a true 1/4" seam everywhere, and make sure your seams are pressed well. I am a new quilter, and I have found this advice to be invaluable.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Thank you, ladies! I have a definite starting point now, and I know what to look for. I'm going to try again today, and see if I have the same problem. If so, I know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Melissa, we've probably all done the same thing and still do it once in a while. I can reposition the needle on my machine and I know the right setting to get 1/4". But ocassionally I forget to do it! Or I'll switch from sewing half square triangles, where I want the needle centered, then back to sewing pieces together and forget to switch back to the 5.5 setting for needle placement. Suddenly nothing fits right! To remind myself, I used a black sharpie pen and wrote it on the machine!

Kate

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was running into that issue when I did my first block and now use a template for each 4.5" sub-block to make sure it's exactly the right size before I attach it to the next sub-block. It helps me catch that hair-line shift away from the right size we find adds up in the finished block. The more pieces to a block pattern the more tiny dimensional errors add up.

I'm nearly done with the second block now, and they're going to be pretty neat when they come together. Still time to get a set made and join the lotto if anyone is interested. I'll post a pic of my finished blocks later if I get a chance.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Well, I wasn't at all sure I could get a pair of blocks made in time, but I did. So I'm in for a pair.

I still have your address, and I'll get them in the mail on Saturday.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gee that's wonderful Mary c. I'm thrilled to add your name to the participants.

Calliope-one pair
    Pouldiceann-one pair
    Salijo-one pair
    Hazelnutbunny-one pair
    Odessa-two pair
    Mary C-one pair

We're up to sixteen blocks. That and a nice border would make a respectable quilt.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, I was sorry my elbow kept me out of last month's Lotto. Like many of us, I find it a wonderful way to try out new blocks without committing to a huge project.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hi everyone~
    I am sorry, but I won't be able to get my blocks finished in time.
    I had a miscarriage last week, my second one this summer. This time we lost twins.
    Anyway, I have had to let many things drop this past week, and I"m afraid this has to be one of those.
    Thank you for understanding,
    Melissa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa..........my thoughts and prayers are with you. Been there myself. Of course a block lotto is the last thing you should feel an obligation to at this time. We all understand.

You'll be welcomed back some day at a later time, when you are feeling up to it. (hugs) Calliope

Calliope-one pair
    Pouldiceann-one pair
    Salijo-one pair
    Odessa-two pair
    Mary C-one pair

• Nancy Morris
    14 years ago

Calliope, Put me down for 2 pairs. I have some black and white I need to use up. Nancy

Melissa, I am so sorry about your loss. Take care of yourself.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Nancy, and welcome aboard September's Block Lotto! I'll email you my postal today. You're on the list now. Mine were finished yesterday and this was one pattern, I thought would be touchy but actually enjoyed and they sewed out nicely.

Calliope-one pair
    Pouldiceann-one pair
    Salijo-one pair
    Odessa-two pair
    Mary C-one pair
    Stitches-two pair

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Melissa, sorry to hear of your loss. I've been there, too, and my prayers and thoughts are with you; sending healing hugs and many blessings to you and your family.

Calliope, I cut mine out tonight. Will be sewing tomorrow and they may be in the mail on Monday.

Odessa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I should get to the post office tomorrow. I hope everyone liked this block.
    Pic of both blocks together ~ I am crossing my fingers to win! ~LOL~

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Melissa - I just read your post. I am so sorry for your family's loss. Hoping you are feeling better. You will be welcome to join the Lotto at a later time ~ dropping out of this one is absolutely the right thing to do ~ thank you for telling us.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Magothyrivergirl, your blocks are stunning and it was a good choice for this month's lotto. Mine are done now too, and I need to get a pic to share. Mine center blocks are a bright, clear, red.

Mary C.'s blocks arrived today safe and sound. She does beautiful work, and they're lovely. She has graciously made blocks to send, but exempted herself from the drawing because she has won a black and white lotto. Very gracious of her. I am exempting myself as well, because even though I love them.......my plate is very full with UFOs and a baby quilt to finish by mid-winter. So, I know I won't be using them anytime soon.

What that translates to is of the remaining participants, your chances are very good to win a nice little jackpot. Will be watching the mail for entries coming in. Nine more delivery days for them to get here. Good luck.

• salijo
    14 years ago

Mine are almost ready to send. The sewing on these goes much faster than I thought it would....but it took a long time to cut out all the pieces.
    Salijo

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Calliope, mine are on their way. Popped them in the Post Office box today. I have to say I really thought mine would look much better than they do; the fabrics I selected were ones I thought would look great together, but apparently I was wrong. That's okay. Whomever gets them can take them apart and use the triangles for another project (flying geese anyone?????).

Odessa

• Nancy Morris
    14 years ago

I have had some personal problems to deal with but i will try to get my blocks out Friday.
    Nancy

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Been gone all morning, picking raspberries a friend was so generous to share with me this season! When I got back home, found the Eagle had flown over and dropped two packages of lovely blocks.

First of all, Odessa.........I love the fabric combinations you sent. They're striking and I'd like to know what you don't think 'works' with them. Wait'll you see mine, lol. I had a horrible time finding black print on white background. Made two trips into town to accomplish it. BTW, Odessa ended up making three pair!

Magothyrivergirl's came today as well. Again, lovely blocks and good sewing. Good fabric choices and 'yadonegood'. LOL.

I think there have been a nice assortment of center blocks, not too heavy on any one shade.

Stitches, sorry you are having some complications and hope they get ironed out. Do not feel pressured, if you can't......you can't. If you can, great.

Calliope-one pair DONE
    Pouldiceann-one pair
    Salijo-one pair
    Magothyrivergirl-one pair DONE
    Odessa-three pair DONE
    Mary C-one pair DONE
    Stitches-two pair

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Calliope, I really didn't care for the way the pattern of the block gets "lost" when it was cut. I really like them better next to each other, but when they were cut, some of the better parts of the contrast gets a little bit muddled, that's all. I'm glad you liked them, though. This was a very good challenge for me; I thought I had black & white, but I was soooooo wrong. Two trips to the LQS and two orders from fabric.com and I still was not satisfied! lol

Any clue what next month's lotto challenge will be???

Enjoy your raspberries,

Odessa

• poldiceann
    14 years ago

Calliope, sorry i wont be able to get my blocks done this month, i have mailed you separately - i did start them but then things started happening and - i just dont feel that i can get round to them. Hope you enjoyed the raspberries - they are my favorite fruit.
    Best wishes to you all from Cornwall. U.K.
    Ann

• salijo
    14 years ago

Calliope, let me preface this by stating that I DO have blocks to send ... but I had unexpected grandkids at my house most of the weekend and was unable to finish up one of the blocks. I doubt they would reach you in time, even if I mailed them out tomorrow. So I can send them on to the winner when I'm finished, if that person doesn't mind sharing their address with me.

I do like the look of these blocks and am anxious to see what everyone came up with!
    Salijo

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello friends.........I've not been around the forums much in the last two days. I have noted all the messages and will do the drawing with what is here at midnight tomorrow night. Thank you for participating.

I had to bid adieu to my last kitty of the household today, and have had to go through it now four times in as many weeks, each one from a different diagnosis. I am numb as this one was not expected, when she succumbed to FIP, after having lived with feleuk for eleven years.

I shall be posting October's Quilt lotto block directly and this shall be the last one I'll be hostesses for, handing the baton back to Cathy (woodenzoo) for the November Lotto.

You all have been lovely, and it was a priveledge to be part of it and I'll be participating in them, even though I won't be managing them. Good luck to all tomorrow.

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Oh, Calliope, so sorry to hear of your kitty's death. It's difficult to lose a loved one, whether human or animal.

I want to personally thank you for welcoming me in to your little monthly Block Lotto; you have been so very kind to me and a truly gracious hostess. This is the first quilting forum I found that I actually like, and it's because so many of the participants here are so wonderful.

I'm still waiting for you to pull my name, though, so I will cross my fingers this month and next. Sending you warm quilty hugs and blessings in your time of stress. Thanks again,

Odessa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Odessa........you've been so enthusiastic and a hoot! The people on this forum are the very best, for sure. I lost my 20 year old cat last week, and a seventeen year old tom cat the week before and my mothers marmalade tabby the week before that. The house is so very empty with no kitties in it, and the Tom Cat used to sit on the quilts as I handstitched them. He was my q.c. inspector, LOL.

We live in the country, and you'd think new kitties would show up often, but thankfully (for them) that's not the case. Just a couple big old ferals looking for a cot for the night and a handout ;-) When the time is right, we'll pay a trip to the shelter and bring another set of big green eyes into the family.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Oh calliope~hugs~your kitties had the best life in your home.
    When the time is right, you'll find another kitty or 3 to welcome to the good life.
    So is this the (lucky) battle? magothyrivergirl vs odessa?
    I knew I should have sent more blocks~LOL~

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

And it's officially October 1st in about 21 minutes. So who won the blocks????

Odessa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Congrats to you Odessa! Please post a pic of all the blocks. It is so exciting to win. Enjoy your trip!

• salijo
    14 years ago

Don't forget....I have two blocks I can send on to the winnder next week.

Salijo

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH