SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltlfromgardenweb

Home Inspector and appliance useful life

ltlfromgardenweb
9 years ago

Hi, we are selling our home that was built in 1989 or 1990. The sale price is $260,000. The home inspector wrote in his report that nearly all our working (but original 1989 or 1990) appliances should be replaced. This doesn't make sense to me because he acknowledged they are working. So for example he wrote the over 20-year old refrigerator is beyond its useful life expectancy and he wrote: "I recommend immediate replacement of this appliance." He did that for nearly everything!

This obviously scared the buyer quite a bit, who then demanded that we replace all these working appliances. She obviously knew she's not buying a brand new, freshly remodeled, trendy home. She's buying an older home that we only lived in for 3 years and didn't put any money into because we knew we wouldn't be there long. We're not replacing working appliances, of course, but the inspector raised a lot of doubt in her mind and this sale is going from civil and quick to distrustful and contentious and I think the inspector's report is to blame.

So my question is, is it true that there's such a thing as a published list of "useful life expectancies" for appliances? Is the inspector right to deem older but perfectly fine appliances as being in need of immediate replacement simply due to older age? Is this a fair thing to say in a home inspection report when all it is going to do is freak out the buyer? Is this something home inspectors routinely do because they feel like they have to find a lot of flaws in order to justify their fee? Thanks in advance.

Comments (28)