SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Here Comes the Inspector....Make Up Air....

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Almost at the finish line on our new construction.

Back in October when we met with our builder initially, and we talked about the kitchen we would be doing, I told him we will undoubtedly have a big vent fan and we need to think about makeup air. Never heard of it. (not building houses with GW ranges and ventilation...ever)

Fast Forward to the day they dug the foundation....met the job supervisor. Just wanted to mention this to him, he's out there in the trenches dealing with the inspectors daily.....nope, no worries. House this big, will never be a problem.

House is framed, electrician in kitchen doing rough wiring, see the job supervisor again. We are laying out the kitchen for him. Again, the discussion of the vent and makeup air comes up. The electrician agrees, yep, you need mua. He said nope, never need that. Inspector won't even notice.

This same conversation was had several times, especially when they were in the house doing the hvac work. I know if the mua is done at the time of installation of the heater,etc. it is a lot cheaper.

Fast forward to today. Final inspection is scheduled for Friday. Guess what my job super found out? If the range hood vent is over 400 cfm, there needs to be mua. Well, golly. Surprise. The vent hood has been sitting in my kitchen since April waiting to be installed. My dh has been telling them, this is more than something that you can put up with drywall screws and liquid nails. Don't wait, in case there any problems. It certainly has been a challenge for them. Can't say it's all the way in yet...but it's really close. I took him a spare 300 cfm motor in case it would be easier to mount that, rip out the 1200 and put it back in later. I love cracking the window even in the winter when I'm cooking.

I told my dh that we brought this up enough times that we really should not pay any fees that are above what it would have cost to have it done during rough in. Anyone else have an opinion?

Oh, and the hvac company came in last week to do the blower test to see how tight the house is. It was a 3, supposedly very tight for the size home we are building. I asked him about the makeup air. He said the inspectors are not enforcing it now but when the code is revised again they will start. We have a very strict township.

Just thought I'd share. But I'm not sure what else we could have done. I suppose insist on having the makeup air, but how can you push against people who are doing the building and saying it isn't necessary?

This ought to make for interesting financial discussions in the next few days.

Bee

Comments (27)