SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurtzicus

Inspection pains around make up air and my new cc

kurtzicus
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would share some of the stories around this sensitive issue for everyone else remodeling. I live in a frequent renovation and new construction town West of Boston. I am putting a 1200sq ft kitchen and master bedroom addition onto my existing 1920's colonial. We just had our first few inspections, and everyone has started freaking out over the cc and the 1200cfm fan I had from Eurostoves.

The cc at 200,000 btu for a 48" version has made all the inspectors nervous. The MUA issue looks to be worse.

In the building inspectors mind if this were new construction completely then there would be a hers rating and that would analyze a lot of this. He is concerned about 1 will the hvac work properly with the MUA coming into the structure (to satisfy code we used an auto damper and a mua vent in the floor under the cc). To satisfy this concern he wants a review by a hers rather of my contractor's manual S calc for the hvac systems. All of this is somewhat new territory for contractors, so be ready to help them a bit in steering if you are committed to a higher end kitchen.

Issue 2 from the inspector is that he is asking us to comply with IMC 09 (mechanical code) 505, 506, 507. I am still trying to get our hands on the details here, but despite the cc being a residential time and despite the hood being a residential hood, I think IMC 507 is commercial duct requirements.

All very frustrating as there are no easy answers here. Anyone else run into these?

Comments (46)