SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chubbytabby

new air conditioner send VERY COLD air in one room and installer says

deborah schenk
7 years ago

Hello gentlemen, hope everybody enjoy the fall weather. may need help here. Last month Aug. 2016 our downstairs air unit stop working. A company sent people came and fix the outside unit and it is fine. then mid of Aug the upstairs unit stop too. This time they said we need a brand new one also because the old one was being discontinued by FDA, so we need a bigger size and need to change the coil too . OK, those were over 100F days and we have four young children. they were able to put in the new unit outside and new evaporated coil in the attic in the third day. at first it was fine then couple weeks later our oldest son complain the room he went into only for taking a nap was very very cold. we barely go into that spare bedroom and the wind blow out from the vent WAS VERY strong and cold and loud. company send in people to take a look he explained to me that he can change the angle of the "flap" inside the duct to block part of the air but in winter that room could be cold. I said ok so they did. days later we notice the master bedroom remains on 80F dispites we set it to 75. they came again last week and outside was 90F still the room was 80F. their explanation? the very cold spare bedroom was directly fan in by one single duct and it is closer, the rest of the master bedroom area was distributed to several different vent and it is farther. so it make sense the master gets weaker air flow according to them. By then I was thinking, our old unit, builder's grade, 10 years old, before it broken down, never had any unbalance problem. Now with a bigger capacity brand new unit we got 80F in masterbed?? This morning I spoke to the owner he says his guy only change the coil in the attic and did not touch the furnace in the attic and he need to talk to the guy who has been here and call us back tomorrow. I am a stay at home mom with four young children, I started to feeling a bit fed up by this situation although the whole time I remain calm and nice. Any help or suggestion you nice gentlemen here can provide? and why the owner need to mention about the furnace for any reason? here is the information of the outside unit I just wrote down:

American Standard Silver MFR date: 7/2016

MOD NO 4A7A3036G1000NB

SERIAL NO. 163***TC3F

Volts 208/230

Min Circuit Ampacity 20.0 AMPS

10 +/-3F Design subcooling

***I did notice the final one: "10 +/-3F Design subcooling" which was not indicated in the old unit right next to the new one (other information are similar).

I don't know exactly what this means, but, am I being not reasonable to ask for 75ish degrees in a 90F day which our old unit was able to do without problem or this is it, this is the new unit is designed for (I am only guessing) ? hopefully it is not the case, otherwise in New Jersey every summer there are so many over 100F days that's going to be tough.

Any feed back or idea or suggestion from gentlemen here will be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax