SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeliall

New construction: venting and make-up air for 48'' range

aeliall
11 years ago

Hello,

We are designing a new home, and I'd like to have a 48" range with probably a grill section in addition to 6 burners (CC or BS most likely). The house will have an ERV and no forced air heat - we are installing hot water cast iron radiator baseboards.

Unfortunately it seems that none of the professionals who are working on this project with us - the architect, the mechanical engineers who are designing the HVAC system, the kitchen designer, or the builder - have any experience with such a setup. Literally none of them have ever stuck a 48" range into an air-tight residence. I spent some effort just to convince everyone that we really do need 1200 CFM, and not 600. Nobody knows what the best way to design a make-up air system is. Nobody knows how to select a hood and external blower. I feel like we have to make engineering decisions in the dark, and it's very frustrating.

Has anyone had the new residence-48" range combination, so they could maybe share what their solution for venting and make-up air was?

The details are that the rangetop is against the wall; there are no wall cabinets to work around (open shelving that we can design to be any width and height); we don't care what the hood looks like in the least - a rough-looking commercial restaurant hood would be acceptable; we are in the mid-atlantic region, so the climate goes from fairly cold to rather hot; we need to be able to use the hood at a very low setting for stuff like cooking stocks overnight; and I'd like to have an automated make-up air setup because I am concerned that a child or my elderly MIL will forget to crack a window while using the hood and backdraft the boiler. The ERV exchanges air at a rate of 200CFM, so it apparently is not sufficient when the fan is going at 1200CFM.

1. what kind of hood + blower setup have people used? has anyone used commercial equipment? it seems that residential hoods are something like 22" deep - is this true? it seems like it would leave half a burner's worth of rangetop uncovered. commercial hoods are more like 48" deep, which seems pretty huge, but they are usually hung at a height of 6'8". do people usually get 54" hoods when they have the opportunity?

2. how have you set up make-up air for a 1200CFM hood? do you use a heated system, or just a damper? where do you located the grille in the kitchen?

Thanks for all of your replies!

Comments (4)