SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hdclown

Comments requests on drawings for new addition onto my home

hdclown
12 years ago

I have a patio area on my house that I intend to convert to an addition onto the home, fully under air. The room is intended to be "basic", just a big open space. I've been working with a PE on the drawings and this is what I have.

The room itself will be a new family room and dining room. The dining room area will run along the 22.5' wall by the existing wall of the house. The family room area will be on the oppsite side, taking up a large part of the area. The entertainment center will be on the additions new exterior 22.5" long wall, although I may end up with all the equipment being in the closet area and just wall mounting the TV, unsure on those specifics yet. Cabling will be setup to accomodate a variety of configurations.

I'm looking for comments on the plans and what I may want to change. Everything as drawn is provided by the PE based on how we want the room to be designed from a layout standpoint, he picked the rest, like the lower rows of block and then frame (rest of the house is 100% frame), roof design, etc.

Here is an older picture of the current patio area that is being converted to an addition onto the house (Screen room/hot tub removed years ago)

{{gwi:2057048}}

Here's 1 picture of the plans for the addition:

{{gwi:2057049}}

Click here to access the indivudual PDF's or all of them in a ZIP file

A few comments:

- Lighting/fans is not accurate, we still have to determine all of those needs

- The 2 existing sliding glass doors and the 1 existing windows will be removed entirely, making for two walkways into the new space. The window is above the kitchen sink and that recessed area will get some cabinets and counter top and be a pass-through area to the new dining room for serving.

- A second window needs to be added on the other side of the door to the outside, and the door shifted over (towarsd the bathroom). I intend for the windows on either side of the door to be the same size, so they may need to be smaller

- A door from the bathroom to the exterior needs to be added

- I think that the portion of the closet area dedicated for the air handler can be shrunk down to the smae depth of the rest of the closet. Based on my 3 ton air handler, I think I can find a unit to fit in about 2' of depth.

- My existing roof is right around 10 years old now. The color is beachwood sand and we want to change it to a dark gray/black shingle color to go along with a new house color, so I may re-roof the entire house as part of this project, which leads me to questions about the roof design for the addition. The PE has the addition roof as asphaltic membrame w/hot mop. I don't know squat about that but i'm concerned about color matches. I asked about bringing the new roof to start at the peak of the existing roof so that it can have more pitch and be a traditional shingled roof. He said it can be done, but he wouldn't do it on his house unless the new roof was tied into the truss plate. Not sure what he means though, and if it would make sense to do that.

Comments (2)