SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Pls. help my choose an accent pillow for my bed

Valerie Noronha
12 years ago

I've finally switched over to my new bedding from Pottery Barn, plus added a few more lavender accents to my room. I would like to add another pillow to my bed and would love some suggestions. I want to limit to one more pillow if I can find the right one since I don't have much space to store the pillows at night--other than the single wingchair, which serves double duty for clothes and place to sit and put on shoes in the morning, etc.

I was thinking possibly a lumbar pillow; cream background with a larger embroidered floral design. I'm trying to limit the red in the room. A mustard color had been suggested before and while I know that would work, I'm not overly fond of the color. Perhaps something on etsy?

Comments (74)

• les917
    12 years ago

I would also be looking to bring out the lavender, if that is your goal, but I am not sure that there is enough lavender in the fabric to make a lavender pillow feel like it looks right.

That said, no matter what color you choose, I would rather see a round pillow there, to break up all the angles and compliment the round plates on the wall. If not round, then perhaps a bolster style or something with a lot of soft texture. You might check out the Pier1 website, if you have a store near you - they have a great collection of decorative pillows.

I was wondering if you had considered sliding the dresser and cabinet to the right just a bit, to not sit quite as close to the window, and putting the tv on the top of the cabinet. It seems like it might feel more intentional there, than sitting on top of the dresser?

You could then add a nice lamp on the right side of the dresser. I assume you are also adding lamps on the nightstands, as I see you have no lighting in the room (except I am guessing an overhead light, which is great for cleaning but not for reading or a nice warm ambience in the room).

The room really looks wonderful.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Here's a site with many possibilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: pillows

• Related Discussions

Please help me choose a new shrub for my foundation bed

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a similar location for foundation planting with a roof overhang of 30 inches. We have three camellias over 50 years old that grew up above the roof. When the roof and gutters needed replacing, I cut two of the camellias down to four feet, and the other one to one foot. All have done well since, blooming every year. I also have a Daphne I keep at about four feet that blooms around Christmas and is very fragrant. We also have a fuchsia magellanica that survives the winter with some frost back, helped by the roof overhang. It recovers in the spring and blooms all summer up until the frost, feeding a lot of hummingbirds, and entertaining us. Al
    ...See More

Help me Choose Draperies for my Great Room - Pics

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks so much everyone! I haven't yet ordered anything - analysis paralysis - if you know what I mean. I don't know when we'll be able to afford an entire living room set. It's more likely we'll do a bit at a time. I thought maybe I'd go for draperies because they're less expensive for now. But I understand that if I do, I may regret it later. The windows seem sort of naked right now. Sigh . . . I definitely want to bring red into the room from the kitchen. I'm envisioning red, cream, black, and gold. I really like those colors. And if brown works in the mix, all the better. Thanks again for you thoughts. Any ideas for the furniture, then? :o) Jan
    ...See More

Help finish my garage sale ebay room off before sis comes (pls)

Q

Comments (22)
    I have moved the table behind small chair (chair is getting cream w/ black zebra throw) more central to window as suggested and I like it. What do you all think of a glass swag light in that corner sort of like this? Or, maybe something similar but more contemporary? http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=swagebay.jpg" target="_blank"> I'm also not opposed to painting the fake fireplace TV stand and was toying with this color.but should I? http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=darkpurplepaint.jpg" target="_blank"> I really want a small side table/stool for the side of my chair (big enough for a wine glass) but not flimsy so the dogs will knock it over. I think I need something with some shape but not sure if I should bring a bit of dark cherry there or something colorful like an outdoor type ceramic stool that will double as a little table. I would like something interesting. I'm feeling like I'm getting closer to making the room look finished but still very stuck on lighting near sofa. Please keep the ideas coming as they are helping a lot!
    ...See More

Can you pls help me choose a pic??

Q

Comments (18)
    I like the last photro, also! "I'd b&w the pic but keep the kids in color. I have done that using Gimp, a free photo editing software. " "You could even photoshop out that electrical wire strung across." I was just playing around with my camera this morning and composed the following B&W from the view out my back door. I kept the beautiful red tree in color. I also used MicrosoftPictureIt to delete the power lines that run in front of the tree. Not a great job, but was fun.
    ...See More
  • forhgtv
    12 years ago

Actually, there's no lavender at all in the fabric. There's a cool taupe that might blend with a grey-lavender.

Here's another white bolster that comes with the insert. It's a simpler fabric than the matelasse I posted earlier, but it has a ruffle that you might not like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another bolster

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Re: Les's comment about sliding the dresser to the right. It looks like Val didn't do that because she doesn't want to cover up the outlet. I've come across this problem a lot in my house, there always seems to be an outlet in the way that I don't want to lose access to. Now I buy these extra short extension cords, 3' or less with the flat plug so it sits very flush. Then I move the furniture to where I want it and reach underneath for the extn cord. When I don't need to plug anything into it (usually the vacuum cleaner or fan) I leave the cord tucked underneath the furniture so it's not visible but still easily accessible by simply reaching under and pulling it out. That why I can place furniture where I want it to go. The only drawback is if you like using it for a nightlight which I see Val has. That may be why she doesn't want to cover it up. The nightlight would have to go somewhere else. I've also run extn cords up above furniture and let just a little bit of the cord rest on top of the furniture so it's there when I need to plug something in.

I'm not sure if Val plans on adding nightstand lamps now that I see how low the art work is hung, a shade would cover part of it. Maybe they're not the reading-in-bed type. I would stub my toe on something trying to get to the bed without a light somewhere nearby to turn off once in bed. But that's where those nifty light remote controls come in hand! I have one in my guest room because there's no room for a nightstand lamp, the lamp is on the desk out of reach from the bed. Love that little invention, now the lamp doesn't have to be next to the bed.

Here we go again...Val asks us about a pillow and we're off on a tangent talking about lamps!

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

I love #2! I also like the idea of putting your patterned pillows against the headboard and then the sleeping pillows in front...then #2.

Beautiful room indeed!

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

Ooooops, changed my mind. 9 or 11 if you switch the patterned pillows to the back. #2 if you leave them as they are. Bet you're getting really confused now. HA!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shee: Thanks a lot for all of the PS mock-ups! It really helps! Do you think you could also PS the Crate & Barrel pillow and the RH fog pillows that alex suggested? Also msroses' monogramed pillow?

alex: I really like both of your suggestions. The C&B one is a possibility as it incorporates all of the colors, though you are right, it is pricy!

graywings: Yes, I can see a cat snuggling up right there. My DD's are lobbying for a dog at the moment, though with allergies in the family I've been hesitant, though we are considering it.

flyingflower: I've also felt that a mustard/gold would be a good choice; not sure why I've been holding out on that. Everyone is always puzzled by my room and why there are no lamps. There are a pair of overhead lights--one is just visable in one of the pics and you can see the switches to either side. I love to read in bed and this works well.

les: I think the angle of my pic makes it looks more squooshed to the left than it is IRL. It is set up so TV is opposite the bed so we both have a good viewing angle. And, yes, flying flower is correct and I need access to that outlet as I often do my ironing there while I watch TV.

msrose: The mongrammed pillow is also nice. The pitcher set (not sure what it's called either) I bought at an estate sale. At first I had in my DR, but I think it works better in the MBR, esp. as I don't use any lamps.

twg7580: I bought my matalasse coverlet at Linen's 'n Things before the store closed down. I've since considered upgrading to a king size, but have not been able to track down this pattern, which I also love. It shrinks a bit after I wash it, but then stretches back to size.

pupwhipped: At first I bought euroshams in the print so I could do as you describe as I also have a set of matalasse shams I could put in front, but reality was I didn't care for the look and I ended up with way too many pillows on my bed. So I returned the euroshams for the standard sized ones. Right now I have three sleeping pillows folded over behind the shams as I prefer to sleep with 2 pillows, DH one.

yayagal: Thanks for the link. I will check it out to see if there are any more that I like.

I thought I'd like #12, but I don't so much in the mockup. I guess it's because the background is darker than my coverlet and makes it look dirty. Somehow I really like that butterfly, but I guess it's too much there. Still mulling over all the options; perhaps simple is really the best.

In winter, I am thinking I may pull up the duvet and change these shams for the matalasse ones. I've also been debating if I should remove the down insert in the duvet for summer and just keep the duvet folded at the bottom.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

I love the butterfly, too. Use it on the chair:)

• User
    12 years ago

You're welcome. Sorry they're not the right direction but so far I fight with the perspective tool.

I wasn't sure I would like this one but I do.
    Crate and Barrel
    {{!gwi}}

RH
    {{!gwi}}

Monogram
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    12 years ago

bump

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the the PS help, shee. I think this might be a case that I need to see the pillows IRL because while several look like possibilities, I'n not feeling totally confident either.

Based on earlier votes it seemed like #2 and #3 people liked the most. What does everyone think of the lastest ones, the C&B, fog and monogram pillows?

msrose: Where did you find that pillow you linked?

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I like the monogram pillow the best.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Val, which one do you like best?

I think most of them look fine and none look bad.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I like the monogram pillow the best, too.

• msrose
    12 years ago

Sorry! I'm just now seeing this. I found the monogram pillow on etsy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monogram pillow

• les917
    12 years ago

I think a lot of the choices are fine - but that is the point, they are just 'fine'. I don't see them bringing anything interesting, in other words, being an accent. They are just another pillow that matches.

The exceptions to that for me are the butterfly pillow and the monogram pillow idea. I would probably first choose the butterfly, second the monogram, especially if you could get a monogrammed round pillow to break up the rectangles everywhere and compliment the round plates on the wall.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les: I think you have nailed my feelings on the subject. I've been drawn to the butterfly pillow from day one, but no one else seemed to like it so I was hesitating and looking for other options, none of which excited me.

At this point, I think I've narrowed it down to these three: the monogram pillow, the butterfly pillow and this Restoration Hardware fleur-de-lis pillow:

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I like the Butterfly pillow a lot- I just looked at it on my big computer, not the notebook, and it is really pretty.

Personally, unrelated to your bed, I never buy anything that I don't love, so, typically that does rule out most plain pillows!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

What about the butterfly pillow, monogrammed pillow or Fleur-de-lis on your bed and one of the others on your beautiful chair? I think the butterfly would look great on it and add some pattern/texture and one of the less patterned pillows would look great with your lovely bed linens. Or vice-versa.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Don't get too attached to the butterfly pillow. It appears not to be available any longer, at least online.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

It is on ebay, but not cheap.
    I have found that to be par for course with many PB items.
    Better to buy (and return later, if necessary) than wait.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I would get it and mail it to you if they had it here but I was in Pb Thursday and did not see it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Sorry for so many posts, but I forgot to add that their fall catalog should be out in early fall (Sept.?) with the new slew of pillows so it might be worth waiting for that.

• User
    12 years ago

Yes, and when they come out with a new slew, the current ones go on sale. That's how I got my bird embroidered ones at half price. Just like the butterflies only birds. I've seen the butterfly one in person, it's stunning.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Drat--you all are right, the butterfly pillow is gone. Oh, well.... I'll check eBay and see if it is in stock.

bumble, thanks so much for offer to mail it to me. That is so sweeet....

Meanwhile, what do you all think of the fleur del lis pillow?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleur de Lis Pillow

• les917
    12 years ago

What about the new PB Diana pillow?

diana pillow

• User
    12 years ago

Val, do you have an outlet by you? They may still have it available at the outlet. I would call and ask if you do.

• redbazel
    12 years ago

Grab one of those Vanessa shams and put it in your big purse. Take it to HomeGoods or TJ's or Pottery Barn and see what you like. It's the only way to really be able to bring something home without having to fool with returns. I bought the Vanessa coverlet in May to renew my room but the colors looked too faded out for me in here. DH LOVED it but I hemmed and hawed and finally decided not to spend the money unless it 'made' the room. Once I got back in the PB store lighting, it looked perfect again. My room is gold though. Makes a big difference.

Red

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At this point, the butterfly pillow is no longer available, at least in my area, as I checked with the local PB store. I did find a few other possibilities plus one at Restoration Hardware. I also redressed my bed for a lighter summer look by removing the down insert and swapping the matelasse coverlet and duvet.

Please let me know if you like any of these pillows or combination of them.

No center pillow:

PB Crochet Fringed pillow (front side) - perhaps have it monogrammed??

PB Crochet Fringed pillow (button side front)

PB dijon pillow (this also comes in large lumbar size online):

RH Beligian knit linen pillow:

Combo of RH and PB pillows:

The Dijon pillow ties in nicely with the gold sheers and current rug, though I am considering phasing out buth; replacing existing sheers with more of a white/ivory color and rug with a seagrass one.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also saw these gauzy ruffled euroshams at the PB store, though they seem to be sold out online.

I didn't like the Vanessa euroshams paired with my existing matelasse shams, but these seem to go well with matelasse coverlet and sheets without being overly matchy-matchy. Too fru-fru for my DH?

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i really like the dijon one for summer! i like the 'sweater' pillow for fall/ winter, but would put a different long pillow behind it to add color-green perhaps??? i like the fringe though of the cream one! (does pb have a moss/sage green pillow with fringe??)

• User
    12 years ago

I like the Crochet Fringed pillow and like the idea of a monogram. I like the yellowish pillow also. On my monitor the knit pillow looks like the color clashes.
    I also like the gauzy ruffle ones.

Did you add those plates to the wall recently? I noticed them this time around and don't remember seeing them before.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

I like the dijon color pillow but in the lumbar shape for winter and for the summer I would go with no pillow.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shee: I bought the plates a few months back on eBay. There was a thread a few months ago about decorative wall plates which I was following and then when I checked eBay and saw a set of purple plates that no one seemed interested in, I put a bid and won! I've also wondered about the knit pillow as it's rather "drab" all by itself and in the pics, but up close it has a lovely texture to it which is an element I am thinking may work well and avoid any more pattern/floral overload. It matches to the bit of gray in the duvet. I'm actually very intrigued now with the pairing of the two pillows and/or using the croched fringe pillow on the "back-side" front so the buttons show, similar to your shams:

busybee/shee/lyban: Adding a mustard colored pillow was an earlier suggestion and when I saw this one, I had to try it; though it does work, somehow it doesn't grab me, I think, because I'd like to add more ivory, less gold to my room. It's also more of a tailored look and not sure I want to go in that direction or something softer and more romantic like the ruffled euro's. It may be moot point though unless there are two of the euro shams at the store (can check on that). At same time, I do not want to get too carried away on the pillows. The lumbar pillow in Dijon is the same size as the croched fringe pillow and looks like this:

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Val:
    I like the yellow pillow the best, but I always prefer an "accent" pillow to be an accent and not just the same color as everything else. I think the other pillows don't really add anything other than an extra pillow.

But I understand the color not grabbing you, and, since I have one of those pillows in green, I know the texture may not be refined enough for your pretty bedding. What about an orange/melon color pulled from your duvet?
    Dee

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Did you decide that you weren't interested in the bolster pillow? Now that you've folded your matelasse coverlet down, I think the Pottery Barn matelasse bolster would look even better. (Link is the PB Pillow link that's close to the top of the thread.) I saw another linen bolster on eBay that I also think would look nice. I've linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Bolster

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee: Actually the material of the dijon pillow is linen and is the same as the duvet/shams and while I like it, you are correct it doesn't add that different element. I've gone back-n-forth on this for awhile now debating between a simplier, more organic look or an embroidered large floral. I did also like the Diana pillow Les had suggested above as an alternative to the butterfly pillow I loved, but which is no longer available.

I just am leary ordering a pattered pillow online since it's tricker to see if it goes or clashes. With this pillow, I may need to switch back the duvet/coverlet to how it was before. I like both and, in theory, like the idea of switching it up, perhaps seasonally. But, I agree these choices are all "safer" because there is no pattern, just textured fabric.

BTW, I did check on the ruffled euro I saw in the store. Seems there is only one. :( Perpahs I should just go that route, though, look for some ivory ruffled euros to put behind the shams and leave it at that.

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Don't like the knit linen pillow at all, it does nothing for the bed, boring. Not wild about the yellow one either, too much color. I'd rather see it tempered with cream which is why I liked the herringbone (#2). I like the crocheted fringe pillow very much. It picks up on the white coverlet and even though it has no color it has texture (buttons, fringe) which add interest. I would not pair it with the knit pillow. You don't want to cover up the buttons, that's the best part.

Funny how much effort we put into selecting something as small as an accent pillow. Glad to see other people go through the same thing as I do! It's the little things that make the difference, just like jewelry.

• User
    12 years ago

The plates look nice. I also wanted to mention I do like the butterfly pillow even though it isn't available anymore.

I bet the Diana pillow is really pretty IRL. (not that it's not pretty online but you know what I mean.)

I'm still cheering for those gauzy euro pillows.

If you're not feeling the gold one I'd cross if off the list.

In general I'm finally learning if I have to convince myself something works there's probably something else that will work better.

I really like that bolster pillow in the link above too.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, shee. The butterfly pillow is gone, not on eBay or in any of the stores in my area. While I like the Diana very much, I'm not feeling confident if it will work or just be too much pattern. I did, however, find a set of the gauzy euro pillows for sale on ebay so there is that option. I suppose I could purchase the single pillow at my local PB, see how it looks in situ and, if I like it, purcahse the set on eBay (there are 3 sets for sale) and return the one to the store. Gosh, I cannot believe how many pillows I've bought these past few days! Picking the finishing touches are always the most challenging!

flyingflower: So true! I think I agree with you as of the three, I like the crochet fringed one the best. I wasn't sure if it's meant to have the buttons front or back as in the store they were to the back, but I prefer them in the front.

forhgtv: Thanks for the link to the matelasse one. I think what I would like though is to create more of a collected look with my bedding and have each item be different IYKWIM. I do already have two matelasse shams which can be worked into the mix based on my whims so am hesitant to add another accessory in matelasse (as much as I do love it)!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As an update, I ended up ordering the ruffled ivory euroshams from eBay. I also decided I prefer to keep the duvet at the bottom of my bed so most of the pillow options I was considering don't look so well next to the ivory coverlet. Once the shams come in, then I will revisit if I want to add an accent pillow or not. I still like the butterfly pillow the best, though it's no longer available, so may just wait until I find that just right pillow.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of replacing the gold sheers with ivory colored ones which should tie in nicely with the ivory euroshams.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

• User
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see those shams!

I also think ivory curtains will look nice.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shee: I'm still waiting for the euroshams to come in. Meanwhile, I did find an accent pillow that I liked and this time I went with my gut and did not wait for feedback. It's an embroidered botantical print pillow on an ivory linen background and the pillow is 18" which I think will look more proportional than the 20" size that the butterfly pillow was. I ordered it today off from eBay. It's a retired Pottery Barn pillow.

Hopefully, next week I'll be able to give an update with the new bed pillows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Botantical Embroidered Pillow

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I love it!
    Dee

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I'm very late to the game but I love those ruffled euro's. Can't wait to see everything put together!

• User
    12 years ago

Oh, I really like that pillow and think it will look great on the bed!

I'm excited to see it put together!

• les917
    12 years ago

I think the embroidered pillow will be very nice, and a good compliment to the botanicals on the wall.

Not feeling the ruffled euroshams there, but very interested to see them once they are in place.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Love the cream choices~~~

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Is this the butterfly pillow? I just saw it today on E-bay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Pillow

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ttodd: No, the one I wanted was linked below, but is no longer for sale on PB, wasn't in my local store and I've not seen it on eBay. I did come across the one you linked above, though, and put it on my watch list; but after I found the botanical pillow I knew that was the one since it echoed the botanical prints on my wall. I can't wait until they arrive and see if it all works the way I envision it.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Embriodered Butteryfly Pillow