SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Book Recommendation for Realtors & Everybody Else

sylviatexas1
9 years ago

The Gift of Fear
by Gavin de Becker

Years ago I started to read this book, got distracted & never finished it, but what I did read changed the way I think about safety & the way I perceive my own reactions & the way I behave.

The author is a consultant to people who are targets for kidnappers or extortionists or crazies, ie, wealthy or high-profile people.

The "gift" of fear what makes us want to bolt when we don't know why, what makes the hair stand up on the back of our necks, what makes us "feel" someone looking at us, etc.

Those feelings are *perceptive* right-brain reactions to danger, & they're what kept our ancestors alive for a very long time until our analytical brains became dominant.

One observation that I found tragic is that we, women especially, will use our 'logical' left brains to talk ourselves out of reacting the way our perceptive brains tell us to react.

Example from the book:
When we see the elevator doors open & there's only one man inside, & our impulse is to wait for the next elevator, we *think* instead:
"He looks like a nice person.
If I wait for the next elevator, he'll think that I don't trust him.
I am embarrassed that I would think of being that rude."

& we get on that elevator.

The book is geared toward women because assailants often target women, but it's an eye-opener for anyone.

Comments (16)