SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

How to get realtors to give me data?

weedyacres
9 years ago

We have an out of state SFH that our tenants will be moving out of at the end of the month and we're going to sell it. We're going to list it with an agent since there's still no flat fee MLS available in the area.

My M.O. for finding an agent is to find out the top sellers in the area (not limiting it to the top 10 or anything, but looking at people that do a solidly good volume), then perusing their listings to see if they do good photos, descriptions, etc., and pick my favorite 3 to do a presentation. I'll do a walk-through with them, ask for their pricing recommendations, ask them to recommend any changes to the house, ask my interview questions, and pick the one I think will do the best job and that I can work with most effectively.

So I called the two large brokerages in the area, picking the local office of each in the city where the property is. I asked them to send me a list of the last 12 months sales volume by agent (a standard MLS report). One sent me to a clerical person, who, 2 days later emailed me an advertising sheet touting their brokerage with some stats for the company as a whole. General data about the brokerage, none about specific agents. The other sent me to an agent, who wanted to tell me about himself instead of just give me data. I politely listened, told him I'd be happy to consider him, and asked for the specific report. I followed up 3 days later by email, and he sent me a ranking of agents in their office, but no numbers by them.

Am I asking in the wrong way? Are these guys afraid of giving me stats? Is there some sort of prohibition on giving out this info? Last time we listed with an agent they all brought these reports, sliced/diced/ranked in a way that would make them look good, of course. So I know they exist and are easily available. What gives? How can I best obtain this data?

Comments (20)