SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Do loan officers get a percent of commission from realtors?

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

Do loan officers get a referral fee or a percentage of the commission from realtors? I'm wondering because I called a bank that was recommended to me (by other buyers) and the woman I've talked to is very helpful, very nice. But in my 2nd conversation with her today (after the preapproval)something seemed odd. She kept talking about this buyer's agent I should use (the home I am interested in is a bank-owned home. She told me that she always advises buyers to ask the sellers for closing costs because my area is a buyer's market. She said even banks will pay buyer's closing costs "because they have all the money in the world" and because "they aren't in the business of real estate and every week they haven't sold the house costs them money". Seem those two reasons contradict each other but sort of make sense.

The loan officer told me that this realtor has had bank owned home sellers pay closing costs for her buyers very often. For one thing I really don't need closing cost help. I have money for that. But the loan officer advised me "never spend your own money when you can spend someone else's". The problem is the offer I want to make on this home (the bank bought the house at sheriff's sale for 50,000 and have the house listed at 99,000. I will only pay a top price of 75,000 for this home because it needs work. I'm afraid the bank won't accept my offer because it is considerably less than asking price. If I ask for closing costs as well that makes my offer look even worse. Also there is a clause on the listing that states the bank will pay the realtor a flat fee of X (which isnt' a lot) unless the sales price is over 80,000.

Perhaps I am way too skeptical, but this loan officer while very nice, seemed to pushing this realtor she suggested on me. During the ten minute phone call, she spend at least five minutes talking about this realtor. SHe said she would give my # to the realtor (I asked that instead she let me call her if chose) and when I asked (I had to ASK she didn't offer as other banks automatically do) if I could have a letter saying I'm preapproved she said sure she would fax it right over to this realtor!! I haven't even contacted or told her I was going to contact this realtor. I just took her number. I told her, no, I would like a copy of the preapproval sent to ME. She said oh we can't mail it out do you have a fax number. So I gave her my fax number.

She tried to end the call by saying she was going to call this realtor right away and tell her I would be calling and I had to correct her and tell her I MIGHT call the realtor I wasnt' sure yet but thanked her for the recommendation. I then had to stop her from getting off the phone to answer some more questions about the mortgage programs. It was like she was selling this realtor and not her bank's services. SHe was nice enough but it was just odd that practically the entire conversation revolved around trying to convince me to ask another bank (seller) to pay my closing costs and to convice me to use this realtor.

Another twist- I just got my pre approval letter from the woman I spoke with and she is the Vice President of this bank. I was unaware of that when I was talking to her (she is the one who did my preapproval and everything so I assumed she was a loan officer).

Comments (11)