SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccarthy3_gw

Am I off being irrational?

mccarthy3
11 years ago

We just sold our house. Listed with a realtor. This was the second house she sold for us. We thought she was great and really marketed the house. I did a ton a prep and had the house in tip top shape to show. We listed 6/1 and closed 8/15.

Now comes the fun part. We moved to a neighboring town that has really maintained value. Tiny town with a top notch school system (the reason we moved) with a very low inventory. We lost out on two houses while we were under contract to sell. With school quickly approaching our realtor suggested renting so we could enroll kids in school and see what comes on in the fall market. We agreed and jumped on the only rental house available. The house is in exactly the neighborhood we would want to buy in (walkable to school) and we thought it would be great to get the feel of the neighborhood while we wait for a house in our price range to list. It's important to mention that to snag a house in this neighborhood in the 600,000 - 700,000 range is tough. That's also our price range. So we moved into the rental and started introducing ourselves to neighbors telling everyone that we are ready to buy so if anyone knows of someone ready to sell please let us know. Low and behold a neighbor tells us of two houses that he thinks are ready to sell around the corner. My husband tells my realtor and she says, "actually I'm currently negotiating a house for my son in that area." My husband says, "oh wow, which one is it?" She responds, "I'd really rather not say as we are just about to lock it in."

Really!?!!??? This woman has just made three commissions off us in the past year. She knows exactly the neighborhood we wanted and the price range. The town has such little inventory, that I would've been doing back flips over this house. I was livid. My husband says family is family what are you gonna do? My thought is this was a conflict of interest. How could she have our best interest as clients if she was looking for her son in the same neighborhood in the same price range. She says that they had been negotiating this sale for months.

So am I right or am I getting emotional over a business transaction? All responses welcomed and appreciated.

Comments (59)