SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Am I being silly, or should the electrician fix this?

artemis78
13 years ago

So we're midway through our electrical work, which is going painfully slowly. We had a problem with a sink vent pipe being in the way of electrical outlets, so the electrician turned all of the outlets on an L-shaped wall horizontal to fit them in and sized them to match the outlet that couldn't move, which is great.

For some reason, though, when they installed the two outlets on our second wall, they put them in vertically at a different height. I think these need to be the same as the other counter outlets in the room. DH thinks they can be vertical because this is a different counter and won't have a tile backsplash, so no one will notice. (This counter is maybe 3 feet from the L counter across a doorway, and will either just have a painted backsplash area or will have beadboard; the L, which includes the sink and stove areas, will have a subway tile backsplash.)

On the one hand, I know there are plenty of things about this kitchen that I'll notice but no one else ever will, and I just have to let those go. But this seems like a biggish one that would be pretty noticeable to anyone paying much attention. We're paying these guys a flat fee, not by the hour, so I have no problem asking them to fix it (and we had a conversation about how the outlets all needed to be at the same height---the height is even written on the wall!!)

Am I being anal/irrational here, or should I make them fix it? And if they fix it, should they just turn them horizontally where they are---a few inches above the outlets on the opposite wall---or move them down to be the same height? (I feel less strongly about the height matching since they are on a different wall with a different backsplash, and they have to cut through wood lathe and plaster to move them, which then has to be patched---so there is some cost associated with that, independent of the electricians.)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (9)