SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

electrician who doesn't show / call -- am I unreasonable

rmkitchen
16 years ago

I apologize if this is totally off-topic (I spend lots of time in the Kitchen forum but knew this vent didn't belong there), but I'm wondering if it's just me who's unreasonable or if I'm on target.

I had a personal recommendation for a local electrician (a one-man shop): we made a firm appointment for him to come out this past Monday but he never showed. He also never called. I tried calling him both Monday and Tuesday and I only just (Friday morning) heard from him. When I told him I'd been expecting him Monday his response was: "I'm really busy which is great for me! I can't get around to everybody."

I was stunned into silence, so he continued, saying he could "squeeze" me in the end of next week. I told him no, I won't work with people who don't show up when they say they're going to so he hung up on me.

Am I being unrealistic?

This is the second electrician with whom we've had problems. The first (also through a recommendation), at least, showed up when he said he would, but it took him f-o-r-e-v-e-r to return calls (I'm talking ~four weeks to return calls), and then the last visit I felt the bill was too high, so I called him on it. He conceded that he'd charged me for three guys for three hours when it was just one guy for one hour (which made a huge difference, as you can imagine!). But that didn't sit well with me and made me wary of calling him again.

Maybe I am too picky. ??? But when I was working outside the home, I had to get things done when I said I would -- I attended all my meetings, I returned all my phone calls and e-mails in a timely fashion and I didn't overbill. I'm only in my mid 30s, so I know it's not as if I'm a dinosaur!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, and I do apologize if this is the inappropriate venue for it.

Comments (22)