SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ndisgii

Kitchen Remodel......Help and Opinions Wanted PLEASE... : )

ndisgii
17 years ago

This is my first post and I am always pretty long winded, but I'll try and get to the point. I am remodeling the entire kitchen (cabinets/counters, appliances, flooring, etc..), as well as the floors in the adjacent dining area and foyer. I am terrible at picking out colors and making things work together, but the girlfriend is trying to help me with my struggle...lol...I have a few questions for everyone to get me going. Here is a pic of the countertop, cabinet, and floor choice that I like best so far:

http://members.cox.net/ksteele1/kitchen/newcolors1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/ksteele1/kitchen/newcolors2.jpg

The counter will be basically black with shiny flake in it. The cabinets will be a very deep red/burgundy color called Merlot. The floor is a marble that I fell in love with at first sight, because it lightens up the room being a light grey color, but it also has pronounced veins of dark grey/silver as well as red going through it to match the counter and cabinet color. The marble floor will probably continue from the kitchen, throughout the dining and foyer area, to maintain one color throughout. Also, I have already got the appliances. They are all stainless steel and black in color. My questions are:

1) What am I getting myself into by wanting marble? I read different things on the net. Some say sealing every year. Then, some say seal it correctly once upon install, and never seal again. There is only one child in the house and she is 18, and we have 2 small dogs at 8 and 15 lbs. Would dogs mess up marble? Any info on marble would be appreciated!

2) What kind of wood would be best between Alder, Cherry, and Oak for the counters? He said maple wont hold the stain color very well, but the other 3 I mentioned should. I like the very deep red look. I am open to other wood choices as well, but dont know the advantages/disadvantages?

3) I am down to Granite or Quartz counters. Any opinions on one or the other? I am leaning towards Quartz, but would love to hear any opinions.

4) What do you think of my color combo so far? Also, what color walls and backsplash would work best with it?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville