SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

please give opinions about kitchen window over sink configuration

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

I'm sure a contractor or salesman or someone will give me their opinion but wanted to know yours about our planned large kitchen window above cleanup sink. Our kitchen wall is 97 inches tall (14 ft wide with backdoor perpendicular so need some room to open backdoor) - previous kitchen window rotted out so there is nothing there - it has even been replaced with hardi-board on the exterior side and drywall on interior side. So, seems like maybe the sky is the limit for us.

I'm thinking I would like window or set of windows to be 7ft wide above large cleanup sink (there will be prep sink on island) - no upper cabinets on this wall so want to fill in with lots of light. View not that great so I plan to put in a pergola outside with hanging bougainvilleas to give us something nice to look at. We need the light - not much light nearby to the kitchen.
House is old. 75+years -

Bottom line question - what are limits on how high to make windows? Doesn't there need to be a header of some sort above?

Another bottom line question - I kind of would like to have three separate casement windows - maybe 28 inches (or so wide each) with a stud between. This will kind of blend in better with the "old house" rather than a new window with skinny separations, I think. Apparently there is no difference in cost between buying three windows as one unit and three units as three units according to salesman. I don't know yet about installation difference.

So I'm really struggling with height and whether to separate (even if slight separation) rather than combine with much thinner bar between units. Thoughts about aesthetics and also about whether installation is more difficult if windows higher or whether they are more separate?

2d Layout below in case this helps:

3d graphic from an Ikea designer:

---
demolished kitchen as it stands now with temporary sink close to where window(s) will be:

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!