SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

What do you guys think of garage door overhangs/eyebrows?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

We're completely renovating the exterior of our nondescript 1956 ranch. It's a corner lot, and although the front door faces a main road, unfortunately, most visitors turn down a side road and the primary house elevation they see is the garage. We'd like to add some detail to the awkward, bland facade to make it more attractive and, you know, add curb appeal ;)

We live in coastal Maine, and I've noticed the garages and carriage houses of some local homes (higher end custom) have these small overhangs over the garage doors on the gable end. They are simple shed roofs supported by brackets/corbels, and stick out maybe 24-36".

Since we're DIY, this seems like a relatively inexpensive way to add a cool custom touch to the facade....

We're removing the vinyl on our house and residing with cedar shingles in beigey-grey Cabot Oil Stain; replacing the side door with a varnished fir craftsman-style. So the house will have a bit of coastal-cottage flavor....

My concern about the little garage door roof thingies is that I'm not sure if it's just TOO weird, in a historical context, to add to this house. What do you guys think of them, in general?

Other options include a different shingle-pattern detail in the gable, a window in the gable, and/or a trellis/arbor over the garage doors, sort of like the overhang but open.

Comments (6)