SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momand3boys_gw

Here's my layout...what do you think?

momand3boys
14 years ago

*love* this forum! So many helpful suggestions and ideas! Hope you can give me some of your thoughts on my layout...

Here's my kitchen..

We are a family of 4 - me, DH, 2 boys (6 and 10). We are replacing cabs, counter tops, floor (tile, wood not practical for us). We are keeping all appliances and painting fridge black to match. Same basic layout (I think!)

1. KD suggested swapping fridge and stove. Only concern is that the fridge would block sunlight coming in from back door. Kitchen does not get much light in the afternoon (sun from dining room side of house).

2. Want to get rid of super susan, but afraid of losing space. Currently I have all dry goods in there and like seeing it all, but boxes get knocked down when I push it open. Would like drawers on both sides of corner for tupperware, dry goods and mixing bowls. Not sure I could get all dry goods in one drawer on short side though. The other drawer would be for tupperware. I could put some goods in cabinet above too I think.

3. Will be getting rid of appliance garage which currently houses chips and cookies. Should be able to get these items in 1 of 2 drawers left of sink. And mixing bowls in other drawer. Currently that 15" cab is too narrow for housing all mixing bowls and like.

4. Hate corner cab above. Thinking of blind cab on long wall for glasses, bowls *never* used :). I'm 5'10" so getting in there is not an issue for me.

5. If fridge stays where it is, should I box it in so can have deeper top cab? Although i would be afraid that the wood wall next to the door to the garage (always used) would get scratched up. ?

6. The island, currently 3 cabinets. Want to add seating area. Currently 5" overhang on entry hall side - no use. Not sure if we have room for seating on that side, as we are always walking down that isle when we come in through garage or front entry. Thinking of just having seating area at end and losing a cabinet which I'm not crazy about. Will put double trash opposite sink and 2 drawers for pots and pans. Would like another cabinet but I *think* I can give it up for seating.

7. Would like to put in some cabinetry on wall between basement door and living room opening?? There is a return duct on floor. I would get rid of the buffet. Want a place for printer, papers, phone base, keys, etc. What would I want to be there? Desk maybe? Pantry, cabinets?

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics - before

Comments (3)