SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Here's my cardboard faucet model - hee hee - what do you think?

theresse
14 years ago

Is it too tall or does it come out into the sink too much (though new sink will sit up front a bit more than current one does), for the size of kitchen/space around sink and windows above?

The kitchen is something pretty small like 12 x 14'. The countertop will be replaced w/ stainless. The sink will be the same in length (30" Shaws farm sink will go in its place) but due to being an apron front it will come forward a bit. A dishwasher will be installed to left of sink and for now the lower cabinets/drawers will stay mostly the same, unfortunately, due to $$$.

I'd like to do a wall faucet just to keep the new countertop hole-free for now and easier to clean, and because it's such a classic look in an old house. But the faucet I'd like to get is extremely tall - so I quickly put this ridiculous cardboard "faucet" w/ correct (close enough) hight and distance from wall to spout and spout to counter!

My little boys are so confused! I asked my 7 year old if he'd get his brother a glass of water and then asked what the problem was.

Below is link to picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: My fake faucet (looks shiny cause of tape!)

Comments (19)

• amberley
    14 years ago

I don't think it looks to tall, but too far of a reach. It looks like it comes forward into the sink too far. However, with a Shaws, you can pull it forward to alleviate this. You will want to try to match up the reach with the center of the drain to avoid splashing. I am installing my Shaws within a few weeks, and I am pulling my sink forward. I am also installing a Perrin and Rowe faucet that has an 11" reach. My parents have a Shaws with a 9" reach faucet, and it does not hit the drain directly and causes the water to splash.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your feedback amberley!

This is bad news because it's a wall faucet so I can't just match it up w/ the center of the drain (it's fixed).

Shaws 30" farm sinks typically have offset drains though don't they? So it's only by hitting the drain directly that splashes are avoided? Or is it only a problem if it awkwardly hits the EDGE of the drain as opposed to nowhere near drain...do you know? I.e. if it just hits the flat bottom, will it still splash? I'm guessing yes. :(

I hope others w/ experience will chime in too!

The reach distance is coming all the way from the wall (with the real faucet, that is!) and while the specs say it's a 10" reach, it's really 13 3/4" reach from wall according to the company, because the bridge stands out away from the wall a bit. According to the measurements I just took (trying my best), the faucet would land not quite far out enough (a couple of inches short of the center), because the apron/front of sink needs to be as far out as my counter depth will be (as far out as the counter edge sticks out in my photo, just a bit further than the sink edge).

Here's another pic of the general area from a front view:

Here is a link that might be useful: Look how small the present faucet is compared to...

• Related Discussions

Hee Hee ! What a Stink!

Q

Comments (3)
    Well, from what I've read, they really do work. Either I didn't get damping off, or it worked. I think I did get it on the one seedling, as I saw fungus growing at it's base. I sprinkled more cinnamon and then did the garlic remedy, too. To begin with, I sprinkled cinnamon all over the top of the soil before the seeds germinated and added more here and there after that when I thought it might need it. For the garlic, I did what Doug Green on his simplegiftsfarm.com said to do. Crush several garlic cloves into about an inch or so of simmering water in a saucepan. Simmer for a few minutes and then cool to lukewarm and water your seedlings with it. It stinks, but worked for me =:) Garlic is a natural fungicide.
    ...See More

I found my missing bulbs! Hee.

Q

Comments (2)
    I hate to say this, but you might want to take up that landscaping fabric. Roots from your various plants will grow into it, and when weeds sprout from blown in seeds, they will root into it too, and trying to get it up after a couple of years is awful in my experience. If you search landscape fabric in many of the forums you will read a lot of opinions, mostly negative. For the future, several layers of newspaper or one of cardboard will be a better base under the mulch - will discourage perennial weeds, but not be a permanent, entangled problem under the mulch.
    ...See More

~TeeHee~I'm Still A Guy~

Q

Comments (5)
    Oh, cute song, I'll watch the video once the rest of the house is awake. I'm sure it's as good as his others. Thanks, Lori. I thought this was going to be about that little boy puppy who was getting his bits chewed off by the girls. lol I actually expected to see a photo!
    ...See More

What do you think of my kitchen finishes?

Q

Comments (16)
    hollysprings - I should have been more specific when I posted the photoshopped picture, but the cabinets in that photo are actually gemini16's. I wasn't able to get my own sample door in there and have it look right. My door is in the other pictures. It's definitely not stark white. It's a custom color that the builder made for me, so I can't give you a specific name, but it is a creamy color - almost with a light yellow tone that matches my kitchen table's color... I'd say it's a shade lighter than the biscotti sample above.
    ...See More
  • theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to post a link to a picture of the actual faucet installed in a home in L.A. The only difference between that one and mine is that I think I'd like the black porcelain levers which have a nice thin stainless tripe...they look very interesting and I prefer levers anyway since they're easier to turn on and off using back of hand.

I also have choice between solid stainless brushed or polished...

Here is a link that might be useful: Same wall faucet in real home!

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Theresse! I can't speak to the splash issue, but your cardboard "faucet" is clever. I still think it will be wonderful. And my vote is polished, polished, polished!

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Hi Theresse:

It is great to see your progress with your kitchen design and to see you are having some fun with it. The cardboard faucet is so clever I showed it to my husband just now, who said it was well worth being interrupted from his sacred reading of the saturday NYT to see it. I don't have any useful advice except to say it looks great and not out of proportion.

But most of all, many, many thanks for posting your inspiration photo (or at least inspiration faucet photo) from the house in LA. It has instantly become my favorite kitchen of all time! It makes me envy those on the west coast (ditto the upper midwest; I'm seeing lots of great kitchens out of Minneapolis these days) who have more of a sense of design freedom and the ability to "do eclectic" than we seemingly do here on the 'stodgy' (just kidding) east coast.

As much as I personally love history-inspired kitchens that are true to the architecture of our more traditional east coast houses (with a "Somethings Gotta Give," Martha Stewart, Nantucketty, Peacock, classic style vibe), I love examples of kitchens like the LA kitchen in which designers make some bold departures (with color, style, materials) that in the end look just as "timeless" in their own way and certainly just as gorgeous. I also loved the attention to function in the LA kitchen. Many thanks for the inspiring link. The link: http://www.sippitysup.com/kitchenremodel

• budge1
    14 years ago

Hi Theresse,

I know I've said it before, but I love your kitchen.

I think the faucet is perfect height wise. It does seem to stick out a tiny (emphasis on tiny) bit too much for the sink, but if you can pull the sink out a titch, it'll be fine.

Since you're replacing the counters, I would get more of an overhang than you have now. This will help with the proportions as well as give you more of that all important counterspace. We lost an inch and a bit of depth to our counters when we reno'd and you have no idea how much I miss that little bit of extra space.

Please keep the pics coming as you get things done - even if they are only in cardboard :-)

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I don't think it is too tall, assuming you want the faucet to make a statement, and why not.

I think it might come too far forward, I envision trying to get a stockpot under that - my largest is appx 10'' tall and 11'' diameter - it seems a tight fit. Or, imagine cleaning a half sheet pan or a roasting pan, trying to turn it under the water to rinse, is there enough clearance?

Since you have the faucet mocked up, you can try it out.

As for splashing, I suspect an aerator will prevent that - it makes the water come out slightly frothy, bubbly rather than a hard, sold stream - but am not sure.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nutherokie - thanks! That cardboard faucet wasn't my idea. I was having such a hard time figuring out if such a huge faucet would work in my space that someone (I wish I could remember who) on this forum suggested just making a model, perhaps out of cardboard. Yesterday I was so frustrated w/ not having any decisions made yet that i just started ripping up some cardboard in the mudroom (recycling area) and not thinking about getting it perfect - just taping heavily to make it fast and furious. When I was mostly done I just cut off where it hung down too low or added more if I cut off too much, etc. - until the dimensions worked out close enough to the exact measurements. Kinda fun! :)

I love polished too - particularly for an older house - but my only concern is that most of the pictures I've ever seen, including the floor model in the store, of the deck-mounted bridge style version, had the brushed polish. The hose for the sprayer which rests atop the gooseneck, camouflages well against the brushed stainless faucet but I don't know if it would camouflage as well with polished (yet I hope so)! I have only one picture of polished stainless (with the deck mounted version):

Here is a link that might be useful: You'll see best if you can zoom in on this picture...

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Below linked are the black levers I was saying I like so much. White would be my first choice but because the faucet head/spout is large and black, I though maybe I should just go with it and make it all tie together. I think they're very unique looking levers! What do you think? White or black? The countertop will be stainless, the sink will be white Shaws farm sink and the backsplash will most likely be a honed white calacatta marble 2x6 subway tile (fabricator will cut) that is cherry-picked through so won't show much movement. Not sure if I'll be keeping the black hinges and nobs all over the cupboards (they're a lot to look at) but for now I don't plan on changing that. The rest of the house's original built-ins have that butterfly style hinge so that makes it easier to keep for now.

Here are the levers (but on a different kind of faucet, obviously):

Here is a link that might be useful: These are the optional black levers. What about those stripes?

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

francoise47 - thanks so much, and also thank you (and thanks to your husband as well) for liking the cardboard idea, however I can't take the credit as some kind soul on here suggested I do so! If I figure out who that was (I only recently figured out how to find my old posts) I'll be sure to give a thanks to her or him!

I KNOW!!! That L.A. kitchen is incredible. The guy was even kind enough to write back when I wrote him w/ a few questions about the faucet. I don't see why someone on the East coast couldn't get away w/ a kitchen like that IF she had the SPACE!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

The size doesn't bother me and others have addressed how far it comes out over the sink, which you are probably considering, but will it install straight up without hitting the windowsill? That's my only remaining concern. If it doesn't conflict with the window sill, and if the water lands right in the sink, I like it. (And good job on the mock up!)

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

budge1 - you are so kind to my kitchen! :) Thank you for liking it. I hope I'll one day like it as much as you do - haha. I see the potential, that's for sure. I like the original cupboards too. It's hard though cause without having a lot of money - and we don't - I'm pretty limited about what I can do with that small space which I think is about 12x14' big! I'm maybe short a half-a foot in giving those dimensions. The hardwood floors are so worn they give splinters (!) and can't be sanded down again I've been told. They're just fir. But until I can knock down that mudroom wall and expand - if ever - having a nice countertop, backsplash, new sink and faucet (and first-ever dishwasher and disposal and good safe outlets) will be a HUGE improvement!

I'm glad you like the height of the faucet (I've been pretty worried about that). The distance from wall to spout should end up being not too far out once the apron-front sink is put in, since by nature it has to be pulled out as far as the counter comes out. So, compared to the picture you see of my current sink, the new farm sink should poke out another 2 or 3 inches further, making the faucet actually reach just short of the middle of the sink. I hope I don't have the splashing issues others w/ much height have complained about! But supposedly having an aerator makes a difference. I'd hate to find out the hard way that they were wrong!

When you wrote of an overhang, you mean the way a table or bar or island can allow chairs/stools to sit under it (but not as far as in those cases), right? Can you tell how ignorant I am when it comes to kitchens and remodeling? ;) Well there is a kitchen door on BOTH ends of the long counter, and if the counter visually comes out too much, it will appear to block the doorways which don't leave much room. Because we need to put a dishwasher in, which will go to the left of the sink (best place), we'll have to bring out the counter there, as far as the sink comes out in my photo. For symmetry we'll probably do that on the right side, too. My hope is that it won't make the doors looked blocked. The counter will angle back in and go back to being more shallow, before hitting the doorways...I just hope they'll do that soon enough to fool the eye into believing the counters aren't too far out!

I do definitely look forward to having more counterspace, even if it's only a couple of inches!

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

johnliu - thanks for explaining what an aerator actually means! ;) I REALLY hope that makes the difference and that I don't actually have to magically get the faucet lined up perfectly with the drain in order to prevent splashing. That would suck.

I'll do what you suggested and try putting a pot under there. It won't be as far out once the apron-front farm sink's installed cause that forces the sink out further. In fact if I get that faucet, the spout will reach just short of the center of the sink - not too far. Will try it out now though just to get an idea of what you're talking about. Also the neck swivels so in theory one could just move it out of the way, put the pot in and then move it back, right? So hard figuring all this stuff out without the faucet - haha.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi rhome - THANK YOU for noticing this. :) I did happen to think of this and tried to call the company yesterday about just that issue but they were already closed.

What I can deduce from looking things over a bit is that about about 2/3 of the way up the neck from the base - or at around 10" above where it will go in the wall, it will start to arch away from the wall. Add to that the fact that the base or bridge (?) of the faucet comes out from the wall to begin with (but I'm not sure exactly how far that is) and I'm *hoping* to be okay. Even if it works but is close, I don't want it to be so close that it looks awkward. The faucet specs say that the reach distance is 10" but a company representative emailed me last week saying the reach from the wall itself is 13 3/4". That's 3 3/4" that has to be accounted for, but I'm sure that's not all from wall to base/bridge since they measure from center to center, not end to end, if that makes sense. So there's some discrepancy but hopefully not too much - maybe an inch or so? I don't have my window ledge's depth on me write now where I'm typing but it's something like 1/5" or 1.75" so once again I think and hope I should be okay. Won't buy the faucet till I know for sure though, obviously!

Thanks for liking the mock up - it was YOUR idea, wasn't it??!

Oh and p.s. - if you look at the 2nd picture in this L.A. kitchen blog that shows the faucet I like, and especially if you can zoom in on it, you'll see how much the base/bridge comes out from the wall - at least how much it appears to show it's a decent distance:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd pic appears to show base/bridge sticks out quite a ways from wall...

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rhome - the other thing about the issue of the window ledge sticking out is that the sprayer hose - which lays on top of the gooseneck - wills till have to lift up and out. So it needs clearance for that, too, not just your basic clearance!

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, that photo of the polished faucet is just gorgeous! I think the hose blends in just fine. I also think the shine of the polished metal would provide a nice counterpoint to your (presumably) brushed stainless counters and the honed marble backsplash. I like the black levers too. Again, nice contrast to the backsplash while tying in the spout. Have you considered the stainless levers? They're awfully pretty as well.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nutherokie - the only other consideration between polished or brushed stainless is that there's a rather industrial look to these faucets, and the brushed may somehow go with that hint-of-a-theme more. It's not that I necessarily want the industrial look, but it seems to be making some sort of a statement with this brand, and that industrial feel - combined with the funkiness of the hose over the top, and the brushed stainless - might all go together more (modern flair?) whereas I wonder if making it polished would throw things off and have a more berserk, confusing look. Ok I admit, I'm over-thinking things to death. But hey - I have fun over-thinking things to death.

I have considered the stainless levers, and they come in both contemporary and traditional, I seem to recall. I'm not sure why I like the white or black levers so much. It may be because the Kohler HiRise wall-mounted faucet I considered getting (also solid stainless and also very expensive, but w/ no sprayer and no removable/replaceable parts) looked very plain having only the metal levers...and against the marble backsplash I thought it would make the marble look too fancy or the faucet too plain. The ceramic levers seems to tie in w/ the marble better, without (hopefully) going too far. I'll have to think more on how it might look in the end, before the final decision. I hate how no faucets can be returned once you open them. It makes things so hard! My guess is that either black or just stainless would be better than the white option - but then there will be a lot of white in the kitchen - including in the backsplash - so maybe it would work.

I don't think I would have thought to get black had I not seen the floor model w/ the black levers. It looked super classy.

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

Hi Theresse. I had told you on another thread that I had a picture of a polished stainless steel version of the Jaclo pull-off faucet and that I would try to find it and post it. Well, I found it the other day, but the quality was so poor since I took the picture with my cell phone that I decided it wouldn't be very helpful to you. Now that I see you're still interested in this faucet, I'll go ahead and post it just it case it might be at all helpful. FWIW, I had planned to get the brushed stainless steel version of the bridge faucet until I saw this in a showroom, then I decided to go ahead with the polished. It looked really great!

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tresgirls - thank you so much!! It does look very nice. That's so nice of you to do that for me. :)

Nutherokie - I forgot to respond to your inquiry about what type of polish the stainless counter might have and honestly, I don't know! It might be known as "#3" just cause a picture I saw online which looks like the right degree of shine is called that. It's just your typical stainless counter that would come for example on a kitchen island that's bought over the internet - the portable kind. It stays pretty shiny looking for the first few years - or with some real polishing long after that, but with normal wear/care it just looks a little shiny but also matte. Do you know what I mean?

Here's an example of the look I like:

Here is a link that might be useful: prettykitty's pretty counter :)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider