SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suz1023

value of major landscaping and new septic

Susan
15 years ago

our home is in a resort area in vermont. it's not in the ski village itself,but two miles from the lifts. the huge attraction in our particular home is the backyard,which features a wide mountain brook with waterfalls and swimming holes. it's really a calendar worthy backyard. the house sits up high and close to the brook,with a steep and messy/weedy slope to the twenty foot stretch before the waters edge. i've always wanted to build a retaining wall off of the house with a nice stone staircase down to the water,so it would give the back of the house a real yard,though it would be a stone terrace with stone walls to sit on,,and so it would match the rest of the house.

to give you an idea of the rest of the house,here are some of the things we've done. the 'great room' has an entire wall of windows overlooking the water. the master bdrm suite takes up the entire third floor,with window walls in the bdrm,breakfast balcony overlooking the water,big bath with floor to ceiling tumbled turkish stone, a bidet,whirlpool and steam shower for two and a huge walk in closet.

the landscaping is the last project to get done. we also could use a new septic--ours is fully functional,but old. we've had a bid of 40 thousand to build the retaining wall and install a new septic,,and the vendor is willing to wait for payment until the house sells. i've had a landscape architect draw up the plans for the retaining wall and terrace,and the vendor has done very nice work for us before.

so the big question is--will i get back that money invested when i sell?

if we were in the neighboring ski town (stowe) this house would fetch (with the acreage) probably 800k,,maybe more--sadly,we're in a lesser known and smaller ski area twenty minutes away,so can't hope for that. but,i would like to recoup the cost of the landscaping and new septic.

i value your opinions,if you will share them with me.

Comments (9)