SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hl492

Septic Tank nightmare

Heather
8 years ago

Hi,
I know that this is a big mistake made on my part, but I need to know where to go from here. We bought a house in May (it is March now so 10 months later) in Central Florida. I am a young and new homebuyer who used my in-law's family friend as a realtor (who promised me that he would return all the money back to me he made from the sale which was a complete lie - but that is another story).
Being a complete newbie, we bought a house with a septic tank - which the realtor told us (verbally so no proof there) that he didn't know. When confronted now, he said he needed to go check the paperwork and said - whoops, sorry, here is the septic guy I use. I signed off on everything as per the realtor and he promised me that it was a good house.
When we finally realized that we had a septic tank, we called a local company to pump (which we thought was the issue). When they came, they dug it up and found out that the septic tank is from the 50s and likely not able to be opened because a tree has grown over it. It is also slanting downwards at a 30 degree angle. No major disasters on the plumbing yet except that when it rains heavily, the toilet has trouble flushing. So no clue as to when it was pumped last. So we agreed to dig up and replace the tank (<4k$) which we thought reasonable for the work that needed to be done. Then they called saying that the permit was rejected because the high season water table is higher than our drain field so we would have to replace both the tank and drain field in order for the permit to be issued. That to the company's estimate is around 8k - 10k$ which we do NOT have.
The previous owners before us, bought and flipped it so had it for less than a year. Before that, it was a foreclosure.
Please no comments on how stupid I was on trusting my in-laws and this realtor -- I really had no idea and I realize my mistake. I just need to know what I can do to fix it. Believe me, I haven't been able to sleep and that pit in my stomach is not going away.
Any advice or help in how to handle this?

Comments (22)