SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

How Matchy-matchy for Lighting?

drjoann
13 years ago

We were just in SC for the mechanical/electrical/plumbing walkthrough for the new house & things are progressing nicely. All of our stone countertops and flooring have been chosen, so its time to start thinking about lighting. Here's my question:

To what extent should I match or avoid matching the lighting fixtures in adjacent areas? Does it depend on the area?

Kitchen/Banquette/Keeping Room are all visible to each other. There will be under cabinet and recessed lighting and the electrical contractor just wanted to put more cans over the small (3'x5') island baking center instead of pendants. He told me that the pendants would be too distracting and take away from the mini-chandy that will go over the banquette. I said that I would choose them from the same collection and he seemed OK with that. Is that the way to go? Also, the Keeping Room has a fan/light that is visible from the kitchen/banquette. How closely should those things match?

My most immediate concern is whether to do a 2-3 light island fixture over the island or two mid-sized pendants, so I can tell the electrician what to do for rough-in. With 10' ceilings and stacked cabinets to the ceiling, I think that two mini-pendants would look dinky & 3 would be busy.

It is a white kitchen with recessed panel inset doors. Here is a pretty decent mockup of what it looks like from the cleanup sink, across the island & peninsula with the prep area to the banquette:

The lighting gal showed me a pendant that looks really cool, but on reflection, it just feels too "industrial" for us. There is a matching fan, but no matching chandy:

Here is one set of fixtures I'm thinking of using which are Seagull Laurel Leaf:

I wanted to use Amerocks' Revitalize in Gilded Bronze for the cabinet hardware, but could go with the same line in a satin nickel. The island is Alabama White marble with a closely matching marble subway tile for the backsplash. The granite is Marinus which is a black that reads as a very deep blue with creamy grey areas. I thought a bit of bronze/antique brass might warm it up a bit.

So, am I right to coordinate the pendants & mini-chandy or is that too matchy-matchy & am I heading in the right direction by being a bit more traditional with the Laurel Leaf or should I be "cool" with the more utilitarian look?

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

Comments (14)