SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

Help me avoid "matchy matchy" without getting too eclectic. Please :)

mshutterbug
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

New house, new lighting dilemma. I've just ordered these pendants because I absolutely LOVED them in my old house (pictured below) so I just ordered 3 more for new dining room. So that piece the puzzle is non-negotiable. However, I also need an entry light and a light to go over our kitchen table. None of these rooms will be visible from one another, not as open floor plan as our old home. The fixtures and cords are black (not ORB, just fyi.) I'm tentatively planning for chrome hardware in kitchen and bathrooms (faucets and knobs, that is.)

closer up

I currently have THIS in my entry, and I do NOT like it. It's approximately 28" across. (Measuring this high up was tricky lol) I think we could go a little smaller and be fine. I'm not one for really grand chandeliers. Our foyer is not large. Here's a picture of it from a few days ago (it is now demolished, but you can see the size.)

So I need to choose a new fixture for this area. I'm thinking of something like one of these...Some options I'm considering (in no particular order)

And I need one for over kitchen table. My kitchen is currently gutted, but this at least shows you the current fixture. New kitchen will be all white, with some light gray. (Predictable, I know lol, but I love it.) It is not currently centered in the nook, so we plan to move it closer to window so that fixture and table are both centered in that area.

Some fixtures I'm considering. Actually I haven't really gotten any further than this one. I'm just not sure. I think flush or semi-flush is probably better since it's a small area and our ceilings are only 8 feet. I'm also debating whether I can do a chrome type fixture over table or if I should stick with black like in dining room (the rooms/fixtures will not be visible from the other, but I want to maintain cohesion throughout the house, but I know mixing can be done if done well.) I don't want anyone to bump their heads. But I guess if it doesn't hang below like 24" it's probably ok? Been sort of stuck on entry light so I haven't looked much yet for kitchen table light.

Ideas or thoughts??

Comments (30)