SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

New Show HGTV'd....leather floors?

User
12 years ago

After a year of nothing but reruns, I was glad to see HGTV get on the ball with some new shows. So did anyone else watch this show? If so what did you think? The premier had David Bromstad who I used to just love, but quit watching after his move back to Miami. I'm really hoping that this first show is not a prelude of what's to come cause if it is, HGTV should just hang up the towel now.

David said they were there to do outrageous over the top decor but does outrageous over the top decor have to mean tacky?

When they showed the finished room to the homeowner, all I could think about is how horrid it looked. She was freaking out during the process and at the reveal I couldn't help but wonder what she really felt. The only things I liked were the chandeliers and the panned ceiling they built but even those seemed out of place. She wanted a happy place to entertain her family and she enjoys karaoke. What she got was crocodile leather floors, fake fur pillows, bright yellow sofa, odd shaped Moroccan columns, a table that lights up disco style and some white braille wall tiles. The room screamed Pimp Daddy and looked like a nightmare straight from the disco 80's. Too literal and in no way conducive for everyday living. I thought he could have/should have done a space that was more conforming to the house (a 50's bungalow ranch) and liveable for everyday life as well as entertaining.

Sadly watching this show reminded me of Design Star and when Vern Yip would ask, "what were you thinking?"

I wonder, could he have done timeless and still have been over the top?

Comments (61)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, John Giddings has a lot of talent, everything he does has a very classy look and creative edge to it. I heard him say once that he was originally an architect.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

Kees Lover -- I'm with you on Trading Spaces... another show where I just wanted to throw things at the TV. I remember Genevieve gluing straw to one wall, and when the couple said that wouldn't be a good idea because the owners had kids, she shrugged and said "Well, they'll just have to be taught not to pull it off." Then they wallpapered a kitchen with wine bottle labels, even though they were told that the man was a pastor and the couple doesn't drink. The couple that helped in that house actually bought them a steamer and when the reveal happened, they promised to help them take the stickers off.

• Related Discussions

New TLC home makeover show looking for couples

Q

Comments (4)
    Who has three weeks open for a do-it-yourself project? The unemployed? Retired? Stay at home moms? Who is your target market? $25,000. is a lot of money for the DIY couple. My entire kitchen didn't come near that and we have SubZero, Viking, granite, marble everything! If I was chosen, I'd tear out my 1970s wallpaper in my living room, paint, hire a detail company that would make everything sparkle - and throw the rest at my basement that has so much potential. I am not thinking TV room either. I'm thinking a 'Martha Stewart' style tool room, drying room and art studio. All of which currently exist but it's far from a Martha Stewart space. LOL! Dream on!!
    ...See More

Vern Yip new show today HGTV

Q

Comments (6)
    I finally watched it yesterday....liked some things, didn't like others. I actually liked the orange and thought it was a nice departure from the typical blue, aqua, pale greens that are typical beach house colors. All the "stuff"...yes, too much, especially for a beach rental. Would he even know if someone walked off with some of it? I didnt mind the bench seating in the DR....it is supposed to be casual and I think of kids sitting there mostly...but agree, not conducive to a leisurely meal or sipping wine. DH has often taken calls while on vacation, so the desk in the BR did not bother me...I guess if you have to work...a glimpse of the beach wouldnt be bad. And that is what it was...a glimpse. For that $$, I would want a house right on the beach and not have to look out onto rooftops with the beach behind them. Anyplace on that first level to stow all the beach gear....boogie boards, towels, chairs, etc.? Lugging groceries, etc... up to the second floor....uh, no. Liked the all white color scheme...but those dark floors will show every speck...not a good thing, especially in a rental. Didn't really show the kitchen at all...why was that skipped over? All the white tile and grout....super hard to keep up. From what I could tell..the pool almost looked too small to be worth all the trouble. Was really surprised he wanted the landscaping all lined up like an English estate....especially at a casual beach house! A natural landscape can be orderly too. Cracks me up that he will rent it out...he definitely seems like the type that would not want strangers sleeping in his house.
    ...See More

Housewives of New Jersey show

Q

Comments (26)
    Susan, they usually will show lots of repeats on the Bravo channel, especially the day of the night when a new episode is going to be aired so you can catch up if you have a DVR or the time to sit down and watch it - Here is a fast clif-note, maybe not all that accurate either - Danielle got arrested over 20 years ago, and I'm not competely sure why, but it has to do with money and drugs and extortion and maybe even abduction - but she claims it was her boyfriend-at-the-time and his friends, -not her who was involved in all of this. She had been on a model shoot and had just returned and had gone to see said boyfriend and just got caught in the net when she went to visit her boyfriend in his 30 room house. A book who's topic is about people who have committed crimes has this story in it with her mug shot and one of those women found out and got ahold of a copy. What has never been stated yet is if she pled guilty or was convicted of any of these crimes - I'm surprised that this hasn't been stated. Maybe it's being held back for future episodes, but it woudl be an interesting twist if all those girls had it wrong after all. I've never gone to the blogs, I just dvr the show and then watch it a couple of times because I love to go back and carefully listen to some of casual remarks that are the funniest part of the show to me. Tiny? Dead FIL was named TINY?!? That sounds *so* mob-name to me *LOL* By the way.......question! How much do you figure that Teresa and her husband paid for that house? (And, do you suppose they paid 'up front' cash hahaha) I ask only because I don't know how to count that high. I mean, seriously now. It appears to be gigantic, and stuffed with marble, onyx (the onyx was SO gorgeous) and a little granite and hand made iron railings, covered with marble floors and OMG beautiful hardwood floors and did you SEE those front doors (and handles!) to the house? It's not my style of house at all - I'm a simple girl, but I sure would love to take bits and pieces of some of those materials and put it into my own little house........ including her whole closet ;) I'm betting her bathroom/bedroom alone cost more than my modest dwelling EVER will be worth *LOL* *sigh* I sure would love her completely from ceiling to floor marble/onyx bathroom in the master bedroom - it really *was* "to die for" beautiful. Most of the house was just too much for my taste, but I'd take that bathroom "as is" and not be TOO grossed out that it had once belonged to somebody else *LOL* However, her bedroom looked to be the square footage of my house. That king sized bed looked completely lost in all that square footage (like a raft on an ocean) - but I'm sure they will manage to fill it all up nicely. Meet you here after the next episode? :)
    ...See More

show me your floors! Overwhelmed by flooring options - help!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi vivaceonbrio! It took me a year to decide on a final decision on the floor I wanted to install. I decided on a wood look Italian, rectified, wood look porcelain tile in a random pattern. Rectified means you can install 1/16" grout line and butt up closely to the next tile. The color is all the way through so if by small chance it is chipped, the color is below. I found this tile at Home Depot. It's wasn't that expensive but the installation can be pricey. I love the look of wood. but the durability of tile. We have a pool and wet feet friends, grandkids and naughty pets. Our new dog has accidents and it's easy to sterilize and clean up. We installed 1700 sq ft and a dust mop everywhere (except the kithen needs a more frequent mopping) usually keeps it looking nice. Each floor photo looks like a different color, but it's exactly the same tile. The lighting, and reflection makes it look different in each room. We love our new floor.
    ...See More
  • sable_ca
    12 years ago

I remember that Trading Spaces show also. It wasn't Genevieve, it was Hildy! She not only glued straw to the walls in a lovely old Craftsman home, she plastered the ceiling with thick meringue-like mounds of bright pink plastery junk, she literally took an axe to an irreplaceable mantle made of one thick plank of wood and destroyed it, she built cheesy bookshelves that mostly covered stained glass windows, and she put up heavy dark vertical wooden blinds over the regular windows. That was the most horrible room I've ever seen. The children (ages 1 and 3) caught their fingers in the blinds and the bookcases collapsed, and Trading Spaces was forced to redo the room. Oh, and she did make the remark about teaching the children not to pick the straw off the walls. Just awful.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what new show you're referring to, but there's a 110 percent probability that I will not like whatever is done on it. In fact, I would pay HGTV decorators NOT to come within spitting distance of my house. Maybe HGTV was better in the past; I apparently never saw it back then. But now? Even though I watch some shows (House Hunters, for example, and isn't the Mike Holmes show on HGTV?), I just don't get any of the thinking behind the rooms or exteriors that are redone. Those spaces seem to be transformed from ugly to...ugly.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I just saw that episode yesterday and was also wondering about the yellow curved sofa. David did say that it was leather, but IMO, it looked too slick and shiny to be practical. I think that's the main problem with many of these over-the-top designs . . . they may be eye candy at first (to some people anyway), but living with them day in and day out makes most so impractical, IMO.
    Which brings me to the other new HGTV show, My Yard Goes Disney. Yesterday's episode put a huge blue hat playhouse type of thing, a huge Tinkerbell-inspired cage swing and another over-the top playhouse for the daughter. Not to mention a peddle train with tracks that runs around the perimeter of the yard to ride on!
    I don't know, it may be just me but in this economy ~ heck, any time unless you're some gazillionaire ~ it just seems a bit obscene to me.
    It's just my opinion, but I'd love to see HGTV get back to the basics: good, practical design with ideas that many people can put to good use in their own homes. I'm tired of the gimmicky shows.
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I still love watching David Bromstad, Genevieve Gorder and Cadice Olson. Wish they'd give Vern Yipp a new show. I hated to see him play the "heavy" in Design Star, as he seems to be such a nice, caring guy. And, as several of you mentioned, Michael Payne's show was a good one to watch. Nice guy. Sooooo, what does that tell me? HGTV has some great talent . . . just crummy ideas for shows lately! Get with it HGTV!!!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Agree Agree Agree

If that truck stopped out front of my house I'd be barring the door.

But I can't help watching some it anyway. LOL! Like watching a disaster unfold.

HHI is always interesting. I enjoy simply seeing other houses w/o the need to change them.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

They did do some terrible things on Trading Spaces! One of the worst was when Doug did a bedroom with a cemetery theme. I think Hildy did one where she completely covered a wall with stapled on silk roses.

A lot of times they did very nice rooms, though- I think Vern did and also that red-haired southern woman.

Oh, and have you heard that Suzanne Whong (House Hunters host) does stand up comedy now?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few years ago when we lived in California, my DH used to work with Suzanne Whong's boyfriend. She was doing the stand up stuff at the same time she was doing the show. When I'd see her on House Hunters, I could just never picture her doing comedy but I guess in person, she's much less serious and more upbeat. Just an all around nice person.

• gobruno
    12 years ago

I couldn't agree more. The entire time I watched the new HGTV'd show, I was thinking how impractical it was to have a room like that, in any house, for that matter. I know that David Bromstad wants to show case something different, but I'm not sure why "different" has to be gaudy. I used to love his show when he was in SF, but 95% of his Miami based shows are horrible. They don't present any ideas that I'd want to incorporate in my own home and often he tries to highlight local artisans or speciality subcontractors in his area (e.g. glass maker, his custom upholsterer, tile maker, etc) that are simply inaccessible for most people. HGTV needs to go back to basics. Sarah Richardson is amazing. Yes, bring back Michael Payne. He was one of my favorites of all time. I loved how he took what the homeowners liked and turned it into something stylish rather than impose his own style on them. When I watched his show, it was clear that the design was different from client to client bc each client was different. The problem I have with people like Genevieve is that all of her things look the same and reflect her own style, granted her own style is pretty nice.... Sad what HGTV has become. I don't even browse their website anymore....

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Wouldn't let the HGTV crowd near my house for love nor money. I take that back...any of the shows HGTV has lifted from Canada would be welcome. Particularly Sarah Richardson, Candice Olson, and the Income Property guy. (I have a basement apartment I'd like to rehab...)

Now...some of the people over on DIY network? I would be THRILLED if Matt Muenster came and re-did my master.And the Sweat Equity people know what's going on. Also the brothers that do the stone work...

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

You know instead of chatting about it on this forum maybe we should all write the powers that be at HGTV. Maybe even link them to the discussions that we've had more than once here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact HGTV

• leahcate
    12 years ago

"..In fact, I would pay HGTV decorators NOT to come within spitting distance of my house. " YES!
    I truly do not get HGTV's reasoning that, regardless of the show, must typically provide us with glimpses into ordinary/ugly/cheap homes and decor. I suppose it all revolves around what the show can afford. As for House Hunters, what viewer on earth wants to spend 30 minutes watching folks parading through ordinary tract houses. And do any of you want a gaudy Disneyland garden? Sheesh!
    I bemoan the loss of Homes Across America, and Dream Drives: a program that featured gorgeous neighborhoods and a peek inside one or two of the homes...usually old and luscious. I don't need it all to be large and opulent, but I do want some charm or TASTEFUL originality. Sarah Richardson is about all I really enjoy looking at. Candace Olsen , whom many adore, is too samey and too contemporary for me.
    Here's an analogy re. designers: Really good art is expensive. How often have you found something truly worthy at a local show or on Etsy? Well, HGTV will not be offering us any Michael Smiths, either. The new 'Millionaire Designer' show offered big names, but I became very bored during the first and only time I watched. They seem to be gearing their programming toward those whose tastes lean toward Lusting Star Magazine( I just made up) and delight in following the Kardasian's kind of style, which I imagine is similar to that seen on NJ Housewives. Yuk!

• leahcate
    12 years ago

In "they" I meant not the new Millionaire Designer show, but hgtv in general. Bang for you buck is often worth watching.

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

I don't actively watch any of their shows now. However, if I did Curb Appeal would be one and I do see it from time to time. I love that show. It isn't pretentious, and they actually look at the style of the house for inspiration. It helps the whole neighborhood, not just the homeowners.

I used love some of the old shows mentioned here: Sensibly Chic, If Walls Could Talk,and even Junk Brothers (at least it was creative). Trading Spaces was on another channel (TLC?)and I would watch that for Laurie's and Vern's designs.

I wish that HGTV would do something more sensitive to today's issues, like repair/paint an elderly persons house, or help solve problems for homeowners down on their luck, not like the over-the-top stuff that Ty Pennington does, just simple down to earth helping out.

I use to love This Old House too, but now there redos are for people with huge budgets that could afford to hire their own contractors.

Oh well, I don't want to sit around watching the tube anyway. It is time wasted IMO.
    Diane

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

The Disney show... aggghh... we saw the commercial for that and they had a topiary that was shaped like Mickey or something. My husband was like "Who's going to trim that thing every week after they leave??"

We do like watching House Hunters and Property Virgins, but we do it because we like heckling the TV... there's always some 22-year old couple who are dropping over a half-mil on a house (where in the world are they getting that money???) and someone who says "the kitchen is too small" when it's like palatial, and someone who is looking at a $700K house and complains that the carpet is ugly (like you can't afford to have it replaced?) What else... oh, the international one we saw the other day where the realtor show him zero houses that were in his budget. And my all time favorite... "We love to entertain..." EVERYONE SAYS THAT!!!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I just want David Bromstad to come over on a Friday evening and have margaritas on the deck with us. He seems like a lot of fun.

And about Trading Spaces....the "best of" is on OWN now with Paige hosting, and they revisit the room/homeowners to see what ever happened with the design. One couple that moved, actually recreated the room in their new house!

I wonder if David wants salt on his margarita glass....I gotta get ready just in case.

• donnawb
    12 years ago

I didn't see the new show. I do like Curb Appeal the Block and that is about it for now. I have seen most of HH more than one time and it got old.

Trading Spaces wasn't on HGTV.

Use to love Michael Paine and a few others. I do remember that they had a great lineup on Saturday night. I would hurry up and get every thing done so I could watch TV without interruptions. That hasn't been the case in a long time.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

BeeKeepersWife, can you tell me what day and time Trading Spaces, the Best of is on? I've searched and searched and can't find a listing for it.

• Vivian Kaufman
    12 years ago

The only things worth watching on HGTV are the Sarah Richardson shows. I'm not even crazy about the new Candice Olson shows, although I do think that she's a terrific designer. Too much contemporary and I'm way over fake fireplaces....

Oh well, I guess I've moved out of the HGTV demographic...

Miss Homes Across America, Kitchen Design, Bed & Bath Design, Gardener's Diary, Gardener's Journal.... sigh.

• edie_thiel
    12 years ago

I know that Trading Spaces wasn't on HGTV, but it seems that the designers from that show are coming over to HGTV. Aren't there other designers out there?

I do like to see the unveiling of the Dream Home at the beginning of each year. Always seem to have great design and good decorating. How about showcasing those designers and getting ideas from them?

And, I'd be interested is seeing what Lisa LaPorta does outside of Designed to Sell. I usually like her makeovers on that show.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did anyone use to watch Dream House where they'd follow a family building their own home? I loved that it was just one continuous adventure watching the process and seeing some of the obstacles. I also liked that they went to all different parts of the country and each season was something different.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

justgota....

Looks like the show is MIA! Lots of comments requesting it be put back on.

Start here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Best of TS on OWN

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I'd probably let Candace into my home any old day. But, Hildy is the nightmare of the decorating world. That straw wall treatment was unBELIEVable. Another Hildy moment burned into my psyche forever occured when the home owner made the serious mistake of asserting a preference for beach style. She drug dump truck loads of sand into their home for the floor - and paired it with circus tents as wall treatments. Her karma appears to have caught up with her, though...not a peep about Hildy for years.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

I know it wasn't the OPs original topic, but how can you forget Hildi's FEATHERS glued to the walls? OMG I'd have killed her.

I do love Candace, but she seems to not have the spark this year that she did last year. Sarah is growing on me.

I do dearly miss Sensibly Chic! That show was actually very useful. They would show a $150,000 decorated room, and recreate it on a budget. They also had the original decorator on hand to review their work. I remember in one instance, they found a bed that was EXACTLY the same as the one the original decorator used and he was stunned at their bargain find.

The new "Two Property Guys" show seems promising, but the jury is still out.

As for other channels, I can't wait to see Jeff Lewis come back for a new season, and Million Dollar Decorators is very interesting so far -- some sheer lunacy.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

Where is Hildi now?

From Wikipedia:

Hildi Santo-Tomas is known on Trading Spaces for her convention-defying room designs, which have included covering walls of rooms with non-traditional materials, often to the dismay of the homeowners. These projects have included covering the entire walls of a bathroom with artificial flowers, using old phonograph records as the cover for another room, and creating a mural-sized self-portrait of herself across a living room wall. She has from time to time created daring designs, sometimes appearing to ignore the tastes and wishes of homeowners. For example, in one episode, homeowners with small children had the walls of their family room covered with hay. When the homeowners pointed out that toddlers tend to put things in their mouths and threatened a lawsuit, the costs for removing the hay was settled out of court.[citation needed] In another home she ignored the fact that the family did not drink alcohol and used a wine label theme in the kitchen decor.

Despite, or perhaps because of these controversies, Santo-Tomas is one of the Trading Spaces designers who has stayed on the show through all seasons and has a large viewer following.

She lives in Paris, France.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can check out all the hideousness on her website

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Thanks BeeKeepersWife! I did find the site you linked too in my search. I would have loved to have seen it. I'll keep my eye out for reruns. I'd love to hear what some of the owners really thought of their make overs. They did have some good designers, well other than Hildy and Doug that thought it was better to be outrageous than actually do good design.

Back to the OPs subject, well kind of, I miss great shows like Sensibly Chic, Designing for the Sexes, Decorating Cents and Room by Room. I'm sure there's more, but those four were my favorites. I think it would be awesome if they brought them back with NEW episodes.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"If that truck stopped out front of my house I'd be barring the door."

it's mostly this for me. there are a few I wouldn't mind getting some ideas / help from but no way would I turn a room over to any of them! way to often when they get done with a room I cringe... Sometimes they might even do a beautiful room, doesn't mean I want it in my place or would want to live with it every day.

I've just started watching Sarah and so far really like her and her shows.

i really like HHI - I get to see a lot of other countries on the cheap!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Here! Here!

BKW - Invite me over when David comes - I think that he seems like a blast too!

I agree w/ not caring for the format of Color Splash Miami. I used to get angry at it in the beginning because they so completely ripped off Christopher Lowell's then new show format of going to a hotel and then bringing that feel to a clients home. OK - I got mad at HGTV not CSM. Jeez HGTV - can't you even come up w/ an original idea w/o stealing another decorator's show format on another channel?!

I do enjoy Sara Richardson very, very much but sometimes she leaves me scratching my head w/ some of her great furniture finds. DH laughs when she's like 'I only paid $600 for this crumbley piece of crap!'. Yeah it's awesome but next time try offering $50!

Candice's new show doesn't seem as, oh I don't know what word I'm looking for here. I'm not as jazzed to rush downstairs on a Sunday morning to watch it on the DVR.

John Gidding does seem like a real talent & w/ brains too. Pretty darn easy on the ole' eye too!

I do so miss the old shows! And YES, darn it - where is the G in HGTV you idiot's? Not you guys - HGTV.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I would like to see Hildy's own home. I wonder if it's decorated bizarrely? Doug was the other one who subjected the poor people to whatever HE wanted- he was so arrogant!

Lukki, I remember Dream House, I loved it!

House Hunters International is very interesting, I think, but maybe too many tropical island episodes. I thought the ones in Europe were more interesting, fun to see how people in other countries live.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Hildi Santo-Tomas is known on Trading Spaces for her convention-defying room designs, which have included covering walls of rooms with non-traditional materials, often to the dismay of the homeowners. These projects have included covering the entire walls of a bathroom with artificial flowers, using old phonograph records as the cover for another room, and creating a mural-sized self-portrait of herself across a living room wall. She has from time to time created daring designs, sometimes appearing to ignore the tastes and wishes of homeowners. For example, in one episode, homeowners with small children had the walls of their family room covered with hay. When the homeowners pointed out that toddlers tend to put things in their mouths and threatened a lawsuit, the costs for removing the hay was settled out of court.[citation needed] In another home she ignored the fact that the family did not drink alcohol and used a wine label theme in the kitchen decor.

As one who highly doubts the veracity of "reality" shows in general, I have to wonder about the above from Wikipedia. While it's interesting to think that homeowners are often horrified by the final outcome of a diva designer's touch, and such controversy surely adds to the appeal of these shows, don't you think that there are contracts and releases signed out the wazoo before production begins, at the insistence of the production company's legal department? Surely, there must be.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't know who Hildy was and looked her up too. Was really surprised at the difference at how opposite the bio descriptions were vs the reviews here about her ahumm talent. Then I remembered most of the time, they have to either hire someone or write their own bio's themselves. It's all about tooting your own horn I guess.

I totally agree David Bromstad's personality would be a joy to experience but I wish he would read the reviews written by viewers so he'd finally see not everyone wants "cha cha in your face design". We're looking for him to inspire us with good ideas which we know he can do!

Lee Snijders was another really good designer from way back on Design on a Dime. When you consider what the format of the show was and what he and his team had to work with, I think they did a great job on a lot of their projects. He used to work for Disney and also had a fabulous knack with color.

Nancy, glad someone else watched that show. I thought it was a hoot and couldn't wait for my weekly fix.

I'm not sure what kind of disclosures the homeowners have to sign but there are some that make me wonder what happened afterwards. Who knows, maybe there's a clause ensuring the show will fix anything the homeowners aren't happy with.

I also liked that show that was on a couple of years ago where a homeowners room was recreated in the studio and two teams of designers competed to design it. Does anyone remember that one? Not all the design was spectacular but it was still fun to see.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I like the shows where that "Barry" guy (used to be on Trading Spaces) makes a presentation to a house hunting couple with the "possiblities" that can be done with a reno of each of the homes they are considering. I don't think they make new episodes of that show any longer, but the concept is a good one. So many home buyers can't see past the paint color, let alone the dirty laundry on the floor to imagine what knocking down a wall and gutting a kitchen could look like.

There is a new show "Property Brothers" with a very similar concept. I like that show. I think it really helps people think a little outside of the box (and the filthy house they are looking at) and see that the dump could be made into their dream home. I want them to help me buy my next house, and renovate it for me. Of course I will be asking David B to help too, and run the margaritaville machine for me... Oh yeah, and John Giding will be doing the landscaping for me. (he was a romance novel cover model way back when....did you know?)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

House Hunters International is very interesting, I think, but maybe too many tropical island episodes. I thought the ones in Europe were more interesting, fun to see how people in other countries live.

Yes, too many rich Americans buying huge houses with no local personality in Costa Rica or Panama, often in gated communities.

I love seeing the episodes in places like Turkey, Slovenia or Thailand.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I agree, Terriks. One of my favorite HHI episodes featured a couple who bought a very rundown farmhouse (in Italy or France, I think) and when the crew returned a few months later to film the homeowners' progress, they had done pretty much nothing. That would be me, for sure. I'd get so engrossed in exploring my new surroundings that the house would definitely take a back seat.
    ;-)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I didn't realize Christopher Lowell had a new show. Where can I find it TTodd?
    I also miss the show If Walls Could Talk. Design on a Dime is still on, but not sure there are any new shows. They have some great talent there. I'm sure they could do some really awesome rooms with a higher budget so the materials they worked with would be higher quality. Though I don't like everything they do, there seems to always be something worth watching it for.

As for David Bromstad, he was much better when in San Francisco, I think that's where he was anyway. Maybe I dont' get the new design work he does because it's more Miami style. He would be fun to know though, wouldn't he?

• teacats
    12 years ago

I hated Trading Spaces!

Waste of time and effort -- just to create angst and controversy.

Every once and awhile I might stop and watch "Get It Sold" -- but thats it for the HGTV channel.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Trading Spaces was a crazy show but that's TLC. HGTV has had some great shows. Sadly I feel like the majority of the time it's house buying or selling shows. The only shows I watch anymore (and actually dvr) are Sarah Richardson's Sarah's House (which is Sarah's Summer House right now) and Design Inc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sarah Richardson!! I'll occasionally catch Candace Olsen but don't try to. I used to like David Bromstead's regular Color Splash before he moved to Miami but now it's too over the top for me. I had hoped the new show would be more like the old design shows HGTV used to run before it turned into a mostly buying/selling network. I feel like I did when MTV and VH1 stopped playing videos and started running shows instead. I wish HGTV would go back to it's roots with the good organization and design shows it used to run most of the time.

• ellaf
    12 years ago

Sarah Richardson and Candace Olsen are the only designers that I find interesting. My one complaint about Sarah is that she pretty much ignores her clients, her shows (and designs) are best when she is renovating her own homes.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Did anyone see the HHI episode about the young Czech couple? (They were very charming, btw) They were so happy that they found this communist-era apartment that was way below the norm of what we have here. It made you think- that was good TV.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

justgottabeme - it was called Work That Room w/ Christopher Lowell and I'm pretty sure it was on the Fine Living Network before it became defunct. It was on at least a year or tow before Color Splash Miami

Here is a link that might be useful: Work That Room Projects

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I recorded one of an English family looking for a house in Sicily. They planned the move for years and even started a business so they'd be self employed there. I couldn't help but notice how all the cars looked like they were energy efficient. Their "van" had the same front electric cars have here.

Nancy, I wish I had seen that one. My husband is a Swedish citizen, but he actually grew up in and defected from Russia when it was still communist. His family is still there and living in one of those communist era apartments. Our house is modest in size and amenities and yet it makes us feel guilty sometimes knowing several people live in 3 small rooms there (rooms not bedrooms).

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

I did see that show with the Czech couple. The HHI shows in Eastern Europe are really touching - they've been to Poland, TCR, Hungary, Rumania. I agree with Nancybee - you do think about what you regard as necessary after seeing the simple things that others elsewhere are so grateful to have.

My two favorite HHI episodes are in Hanoi, Vietnam, and Ulan Bator, Mongolia. With the one in Mongolia in particular there was a real feel for the region.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Thanks TTodd. I'm going to become a member on his website so if he does anything else I'll know. I always enjoyed his show and work.

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

We like the HHI shows that are set in Europe, too. So much more interesting than the ones in the tropics with their oversized houses. I like Mike Holmes a lot. Wish a US producer would do that kind of show. He is so much more realistic than (what's it called?) Home Makeover, which we have not watched in years. I don't have time to watch much TV, even with TiVo, so I've gotten picky.

Used to love TLC, but I agree that Hilda was nuts. Of course, we didn't have cable, so we only saw it when we traveled if the hotel had TLC.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

His family is still there and living in one of those communist era apartments.

My son is working in the Ukraine, and living in one of those communist era apartments. The decor that I've seen in pictures looks like it's from the 60s. He says that the elevator in the building is pretty scary, but since he's on the 10th floor it beats walking.

I always loved Christopher Lowell's show, and his step by step instructions for his projects.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

House Hunters International, yes, I love seeing the ones that are not tropical. We are amazed at how much you can get a house for in a tiny little town in Italy... we're like "We could afford that!!" Course the ones we could afford need major work, LOL.

Agree with everyone on Color Splash Miami... if I could call him on the phone, I'd beg him to go back to San Francisco. I love David Bromstad, but can't stand his show anymore. His helpers have zero personality. While I think it's cool that his design assistant is someone who I think just got her degree, so she's kind of an intern, I really miss Ian and Danielle. The two women on this show don't do anything that requires skill, all they do is shop and answer cell phone calls that say stuff is not coming/going to be late. And the two men who actually have skill have no personality and rarely talk to the camera.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terriks, that is a wonderful opportunity for your son. So many people don't realize how well we have it until they can experience something like that. It's life changing. I went from a canopy bedroom to a mud hut in the middle of Mexico when I was 17 and lived there for a year. It has always given me a perspective that I know I would have never had otherwise and I've always cherished the experience. I hope he has is enjoying the adventure.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I watched hgtv'd and was really disappointed. I told DH that I would be FURIOUS if anyone came to my house with that ridiculous design; if I were the violent type (i'm not!), someone might get hurt :-). I actally appreciate somewhat modern or transitional styles --- I love candace olson --- if they're not too modern, but the room on hgtv'd looked like a bad lounge in las vegas. I recorded the 2nd episode for a comparison, and it looks like Sabrina Soto (who's very tasteful with her get it sold redesigns) is also shooting for the 'over the top/gimmicky' look, althogh it doesn't seem as ridiculous as that 1st episode. So I don't plan to watch this show again. They seem to be planning several new shows; I hope one or two are good.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took the plunge and watched the second show as well...ugh... I think it's the producers pushing the designers to go over the top like this. I have to give Sabrina a lot of credit though, at least SHE listened to her client and tried to give the family what they wanted. It was obvious a struggle for her to be too over the top ornate though. I find the host of that show to annoying too, she's pretty obnoxious.

What I like about Candace Olson is she's so good and yet so down to earth. Every time I watch her I think of that commercial she did for her new show when she says, I take my job very seriously but not myself. I think a lot of the upscale designers take themselves WAY too seriously and that's what makes it hard for me to watch them.