SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Realtors, what do you think of this remodel idea?

User
15 years ago

We are in the DFW area if that makes any difference.

When we bought the house, the kitchen/dining/living room looked like this. The house is and shaped like a 7 with the top longer than the stem, and with the garage out front on the stem where it says "to den". What I never liked about the house was that there was no door out to the backyard, just the north-facing side door to the patio & driveway. Also, there is no porch or overhang of any kind over this door & wind & rain are a problem.

{{!gwi}}

The kitchen was tiny, the dining area was tiny, and the living area was small. We expanded the kitchen into the dining area with the idea of expanding out to the left with a dining area. The new dining room would be accessible from both living room & kitchen. We also enclosed the garage, made it into a den, and built a separate garage. The house now looks like this:

{{!gwi}}

We are ready to do the addition and have had one contractor come out. There is a patio, or two really, to the left of the house. One part was poured when the house was built and so has piers, but is about 6" lower than the rest of the foundation. Then, a previous owner poured an extension but no piers. We wanted to raise the level of the patio and put the dining room on it. However, one wall would be against the edge of the fireplace, and between tying on the roof there & the poorly done patio, the contractor thinks it will be do-able but more expensive than if we added on anywhere else on the house. He suggested we look at remodeling the interior since we are using the former living room as a dining room anyway. So I've been looking at it & playing with some ideas & came up with this.

{{!gwi}}

We want to move in about 2 years. Our house is one of the smaller on the street, with really small bedrooms. I was concerned about adding on more than the house could sell for, but I also didn't like the idea of walking in the front door into the dining room/kitchen. I think I solved that problem by moving the door from the entry into the dining area.

So my question is this. Would a plan like this be a turn-off for a buyer, or a good thing?

Comments (23)