SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_garfield

Got a low ball offer - what do you think?

margaret_garfield
15 years ago

Here's the numbers leading up to this -

Jan. 2007

We agree to sell our land to my brother-in-law for the "family good deal" of 195,000$.

Property appraises for 195,000$ (what a surprise!)

Brother-in-law can't get financing (too many bankruptcies).

May 2007

List land with realtor for 245,000$. Get full price offer with 5,000$ back to buyer to help with closing costs.

Property appraises for 245,000$ (notice a pattern?)

After seven weeks, deal falls through because buyer can't get financing.

July 2007

Get offer for 217,000 but it has LOTS of contingencies. Basically asks us to take it off the market while buyer makes up his mind. We respond but can't reach agreement.

August 2007

We lower price to 220,000$

Jan. 2008

Having gotten no offers, we switch real estate agents and stay listed at 220,000 (at agent's advice.)

May 2008

Lower price to 199,950$ (at my suggestion, not agent's.)

End of June 2008

Lower price to 175,000$ (against husband's wishes, but at the price agent says will sell.)

We plan to pull it off the market if it doesn't sell by the end of July (end of our contract with agent.)

Now to today -

We got an offer of 150,000$. There are no comps - this is 2.2 acres in the exurbs and is semi-improved land. The financing is "cash" (equity from the buyer's house?)

We have paid the property off and so it is only costing us about 200$ a month in taxes and 30$ a month in insurance.

We aren't living there though and so we pay 1250$ in rent every month that we could be using to buy a house where we do live.

So the question is how much will prices rise or fall in the next couple of years? Should we take the offer (or something close to it)? Or should we wait because we are already 70,000$ below what everyone thought the property was worth a year ago and if we take this offer we will be "losing" 95,000$.

150,000$ bird in the hand or 245,000$ possibly in a couple of years?

I figure it is costing us about 18,000 a year in taxes, insurance, and rent to keep the land; but of course there are costs associated with owning a home also.

(Our market, north of Seattle, isn't falling in prices but inventory keeps growing and apparently nobody can get financing right now.)

Margaret

Comments (11)