SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola99_gw

Extremely frustrated - needle breaking FMQ

lola99
10 years ago

I am ready to pull my hair out. I am working on a quilt in which I'm trying a ton of new things. It is a postage stamp quilt that I used fusible interfacing in order to make it easier to line up my squares. Then I decided to use 2 layers of batting (I've read about this on blogs, but never tried it) and I had a bunch of small batting pieces, so I pieced my batting, and I used spray basting (never have done that before either). So the bottom line is my quilt sandwich is very thick.

When I try to FMQ my needle keeps breaking. I have tried different size needles (started a little small, 75/11 and went up to 80/12, then found the biggest one I had and it still broke). I went to my LQS and brought the quilt with me and the woman behind the counter sold me special quilting needles and that one broke too. (I was going to buy denim needles but she said that would just make big holes, not necessarily help with my issue.)

I tried pressing harder on the pedal (to speed up) while moving my hands slowly, so I could be sure that I wasn't breaking the needle by moving my hands too fast while the needle was still in the down position in my VERY thick quilt sandwich, and another needle broke.

All in, I think I broke 6 needles in 1 hour and only quilted a line that is about 9 inches long. It seems that the needle breaks when I get to a seam (I pressed my seams open, but they are still bulky because there is the top fabric and the interfacing in the seam allowance.) The problem is that since this is a postage stamp quilt, there are seams all over the place.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The tension also seems to be having problems. When I quilt a sample sandwich with 2 layers of batting (but no postage stamp top - so no bulky seams and no interfacing) everything is fine...the tension is fine and the needle doesn't break. But somehow the postage stamp top and interfacing are just creating a huge problem.

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (11)