SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Safety Problem - 7yo Took off Second-Story Window Screen

jan_in_wisconsin
15 years ago

I know this is a bit off topic, but everyone here seems to know so much about everything. Tonight, my 7-year-old son managed to take the screen out of his second story bedroom window. The thought of him falling out terrifies me. This occurred after his bedtime, when he apparently was bored because he couldn't fall asleep (big problem for him). We've lived in two-story homes in the past, and he never did anything like this. He knows this is dangerous and he is not allowed to open any windows in the house. He knew he did something wrong, because he hid the screen under his bed.

As you may know, we just built a two-story house last fall, and we have two boys (ages 14 and 7). They both have ADHD, which means they have significant problems with hyperactivity, impulse control, and monitoring their own behaviors, as well as considering the consequences of their actions. We have had problems with them seeming fearless and engaging in risky behavior, i.e. thinking they can jump into a deep pool when they can't swim. The younger one really believes he could stop a tornado. Anyway, the reason I mention this is because I want to communicate that these issues rise far beyond what non-ADHD kids of their age do. Obviously, this contributes to huge safety concerns.

I have searched for some type of safety product for double-hung second-story windows, and they seem geared toward very young children. They also need to open in case of fire. My concern is that my 7-year-old could figure out how to open up the window, despite a safety feature, as he is very mechanical. These products also seem to be geared toward accidental falls, and in the case of my youngest son, he might purposefully try to get out the window. Of course, we've discussed the dangers of this type of behavior with both of our boys, but again, that doesn't mean they'll listen. I don't think we need to worry about the older one doing something on purpose.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm still shaken up about what could have happened tonight.

I don't even care about how unattractive the safety devices might look. Any product that will do the job would be great.

When we built the house, I mentioned this concern to our builder, who stated that we could just open the windows from the top so that the bottom wouldn't need to be open if we wanted to let some air in. He probably wasn't thinking that a child would try to open the window and take the screen out.

Thanks for your thoughts or ideas,

Jan

Comments (8)